Super Hornet intake on top of the fuselage

Hello folks,

I am working on a F/A-18E Super Hornet that I will display as a jet getting ready for the catapult lunch. Seems like there is some kind of air intake opened on top of the fuselage just in front of the ECS Exhaust. What is this and can anybody provide detailed photographs? I feel like I need to modify this on my Hasegawas Hornet to make it look right.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

170502-N-LK571-044.JPG

Best Regards,

Daniel

Edited by tomcatfan
better picture

I think they are ram air scoops for the primary heat exchanger. It cools the engine bleed air for the Environmental control system. They are open when the engines are at a lower RPM and close at higher RPM. Not sure if you are familiar with the F-15E, which has the same concept on the side of the CFT. I was Air Force and worked this system. Not sure how NAVAIR works, but would think they would close somewhat while on a catapault launch as the engines go to a higher RPM or N2 which I think is the correct term for engine RPM. Hope this helps.

On 3.8.2017 at 9:57 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Hmmm!!!!! I just need some detail shots and I'll do it.

Well, looks like no one has any detail shots?! So I guess I will just have to make up some details. I think it will still look more realistic for my diorama than leaving the fuselage as is.

I looked around and couldn't find any super detail photos.  I found a couple that, when enlarged, give some detail, but not all that great.  Here's one:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/170518-N-PF593-011.JPG

As you said, if no one can find detail photos, then do the smaller details make that much difference?

Maybe Jake Melampy's Super Hornet guide has photos (I wish I had the book, but don't).