Well you need to sand flush any bumps and scoops on the nose, cowling, and upper wings. This includes the large bulges for the machine guns on the upper cowling. Hopefully, the kit provides these as separate pieces, otherwise you are in for much work to remove and fill the holes that remain.

The next major issue is the canopy. The 109F canopy has glass panels on the lower front corners and the 109G has sheet metal in those places. The kit uses the plastic molded to the fuselage in this area. See this picture for a 109F canopy:

Bf109_canopy.jpg

Also you will want to represent the hatches seen in the above picture as they are not on the G model. The most important one is the large hatch below the canopy, which is for the fuel filler. There is a small, oval shaped, hatch on the upper left of the rear fuselage  that needs to be filled - as that is the fuel filler on the G models.

I'm no 109 expert (nor do I play one on TV), but I believe the F used the same lighter-framed canopy as the late Es, and the Revell kit has the heavier-framed G canopy.

Correct.

But bases on Darren Robert's build of the kit, the frames are not thick enough for a G model. 

Also, you can see that I mean about the front corners of the canopy being part of the fuselage plastic.