space shuttle stack accurate flight deck question

My, My, My ... Rostko, this is way-y-y beyond "eye-candy" all the way to Visual Orgasm!

I've built a couple heavily detailed 1/72 Shuttles with open Payload Bay doors and thought I had detailed it pretty well ... well you've made my eyes water! ... with incredulity!

Homer, your cockpit has been improved to the Nth Degree and Rostko has made your design really shine!

Rostko, did you tell us which mission you're representing?

Well Done ... Really, really well done!

Pete

5 hours ago, nnkk said:

If i may ask: what did you use for those isolation blankets and fasteners?

I purchased a 0.2mm hand held hole punch on the internet and punched a .005 inch styrene sheet from evergreen. The blanket is made from a throw away party table cloth made of vinyl from the dollar store. I cut little pieces and wrinkled them into a ball, then opened them up and wrapped many 0.10 styrene panels. Then I black riveted on top of of every punched styene disk. Superglued it all. Then white primer, and finally Mr color white paint. Did a mild grey wash to each panel, then matt clear coat the entire thing! Lots of work, but it is an amazing replication of the real thing!

19 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

My, My, My ... Rostko, this is way-y-y beyond "eye-candy" all the way to Visual Orgasm!

I've built a couple heavily detailed 1/72 Shuttles with open Payload Bay doors and thought I had detailed it pretty well ... well you've made my eyes water! ... with incredulity!

Homer, your cockpit has been improved to the Nth Degree and Rostko has made your design really shine!

Pete

Thanx Pete! I do alittle every night, and somehow it comes together! Thanx for the compliments!

4 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Pete

Thanx for your inspirational comments Pete, certainly keeps me motivated.. At first I was choosing to pick the sts-108 Endeavor mission , which I persononally attended. But I found the payload bay components limited, so I picked and chose the most intesting components from various missions that I found complex and interesting. I wanted to showcase a display of various pieces. But its still going to be Endeavor at the end of it all. Once again, I appreciate your words of encouragement, it makes me want to dive into even harder, even though wife would protest, lol. Take care Pete.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:50 AM, habu2 said:

Very impressive work here, congrats!

Talk about microscopic! Even with cheaters, this is so small that glueing then down is a challenge, the pices seems to move slightly while drying, even with supergue! One image is no backlight, the other is with leds behind. 

20230908_200039.jpg

20230908_190336.jpg

20230908_202340.jpg

• 2 months later...

That looks fantastic, Rostko, great job with the lighting!

I'm impressed as well with your discipline in creating and placing decals on all of the tiles.  How did you print opaque gray lettering decals for the black tiles?

I used the Warbirds tile decals. For 1/32 space shuttle. I toned down the white lettering using black smoke through an airbrush. Spray until you're satisfied. Then I used heavily thinned white over the black lettering. I found that the contrast was too great just leavibg it as is. Hope this helps!