Chinese aircraft carrier elevator...

Hi everybody...!!! Well, I am the happy owner of the Su-33 from kinetic. I am planning to built the J-15 with the help of the Dream models conversion set. As always I am planning a diorama along the lines that the following photos show, the J-15 on the elevator. My biggest problem is that I don't have any dimensions available...ok I can estimate those, but nothing accurate, and my second problem is that I don't have any detailed photos of the actual elevator...anyone???...heeeelp...pleeeeease!!!!

elevator_1.jpg

Zrak,

I can't help you directly - but the elevator on the Liaoning is presumably the same as that on Kuznetsov (they are sister ships).

Trumpeter do a 1/350 scale Kuznetsov - so you can find the dimensions from that kit....

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.JOjSNpxZgrR_1FI2BDEx_wEsEF&pid=15.1

Sorry I can't be more helpful - note the folded nose pitot on the J-15, someting unique to Su-33/J-15.

Ken

It's a trick of the angle - the nosecone (with its foldable pitot) clearly will just clear the deck edge with inches to spare.

They aren't that stoopid.

This photos shows the same scene - but from inside the hangar :- Chinese+aircraft+carrier+j-15+flying+sha

There are a few videos out there shwowing J-15 ops - including the elevator travel - see this one :-

Ken

Thanks guys...!!!...Thank God a friend got the Trumpeter kit of the aircraft carrier, so I will have some "input" on the dimensions/shape issues of the elevator. Now...since you all noticed the folded pitot...any ideas how I will have to represent that ?...is it as simple as "cut&drop"... Oooo...I wish...what do you think...

15 hours ago, afspret said:

from this angle it looks like the nose cone ain't gonna clear the edge the upper edge of the hanger deck opening, and it looks like they don't have enough room to back the a/c any more.

I'm betting that line on the deck perpendicular to the aircraft is the "your nose wheel must be behind this line to avoid smashing your radome" line.

I find it interesting that they use that dark red orange and black deck edge marking. Is that just to avoid using the decadent west's yellow and black? Do PLAN carriers use red lighting during night ops? Do dark red orange and black deck edge markings turn into black and black deck edge markings under red light?

HHHmmm...very interesting remarks Grey Ghost...Actually the only reason I decided to built the J-15 diorama are all these colours present...plus the "yellow" one I am planning to built...I just love the weathering on this frame...!!!

elevator_2.jpg

Note that the wingtip launch rails are BELOW (or level with) the fin tips - as you would expect.

I've seen a number of finished models of Su-33's (or J-15's) with the wings not properly folded enough and sticking up above the fins.

Something to watch out for if the kit wing fold isn't quite correct.

Ken

PS - The J-15 wingtip launch rails are deeper than those on the Su-33 (to cater for the Chinese PL-10 missile) - so clearance must be even tighter.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:28 AM, Grey Ghost 531 said:

Do dark red orange and black deck edge markings turn into black and black deck edge markings under red light?

I would expect red light would make red things look white.

A red night lighting story from Dad: one night back during the cold war when he went for a night time turn as officer of the deck, on I no longer remember what ship, he went to make a log entry and there was nothing from a recent watch. Nothing, just a blank page. Somehow someone eventually had a brainstorm and they illuminated the page with other than red light. Turned out red ink had been used to write the entry.  

On 8/6/2017 at 10:28 AM, southwestforests said:

I would expect red light would make red things look white.

A red night lighting story from Dad: one night back during the cold war when he went for a night time turn as officer of the deck, on I no longer remember what ship, he went to make a log entry and there was nothing from a recent watch. Nothing, just a blank page. Somehow someone eventually had a brainstorm and they illuminated the page with other than red light. Turned out red ink had been used to write the entry.  

Absolutely.. In dark, under red light you cannot distinguish red objects from white ones. 

51 minutes ago, zark said:

Soooooo...!!!...what's the point of using red "paint" instead of "yellow" in the Chinese carrier....???

I guess someone will have to write the Chinese asking them that.

http://eng.mod.gov.cn/about-us/node_48469.htm

Appears to advise to go to below to contact them

http://english.chinamil.com.cn/contact-us/index.htm

Edited by southwestforests
2 hours ago, zark said:

LoL...!!!...I am going to send them my questions in "Greek"...and they will answer me back in "Chinese"...!!!!!

Google translate will make short work of that. ;)

I guess while you are asking them things, inquire what the favorite snack food aboard ship is.