1/48 F-15 Active STOL/MTD

maybe Hasegawa will come to the rescue,realize that mistake they're just doing for their 1/72 rendition and release the effin right one with 2d nozzles too,anyway some japanese builder did actually make it

http://f104.ath.cx/f-15/f-15smtd_48.htm

pretty sure that for December they will rebox it with Sorcer markings from Ace Combat Zero,as for now I ordered one just to be sure to not commit the same mistake I did for the Advanced Super Hornet as I can't find one and nobody is doing that dang pod in 1/72

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

I'd be in for either the kit or conversion.  If you look closely,  you'll see 'NWL' on the tail markings.  That's the company I work for in Kalamazoo Michigan.  I was there when the the program was going on.  We already made the primary flight controls for the F-15 and for this program we developed the canard controls (modified F-16 flap/taileron actuators) and actuators for the directional nozzles.  We were 'National Waterlift Co.' but now are the Hydraulic Systems Division of Parker Aerospace.  We were really proud to be part of that program.  I have considered scratch building the aircraft but would rather have the work done for me in a kit. 

12 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

I'd be in for either the kit or conversion.  If you look closely,  you'll see 'NWL' on the tail markings.  That's the company I work for in Kalamazoo Michigan.  I was there when the the program was going on.  We already made the primary flight controls for the F-15 and for this program we developed the canard controls (modified F-16 flap/taileron actuators) and actuators for the directional nozzles.  We were 'National Waterlift Co.' but now are the Hydraulic Systems Division of Parker Aerospace.  We were really proud to be part of that program.  I have considered scratch building the aircraft but would rather have the work done for me in a kit. 

Do you remember if the bottom and some upper parts of the engine fairings were squared off or not?

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

The top of the fairing going into the square nozzles were flattened. I don't recall on the bottom.  I have a notebook at work that has some McAir released photos.  I'm off until Wednesday but I'll look and see what I can find then. 

3 hours ago, fasteagle12 said:

The top of the fairing going into the square nozzles were flattened. I don't recall on the bottom.  

The bottoms were also squared, see pics in this thread on ARC. 

Having said that, the jet flew with both 2D vectored nozzles and the regular PW engine nozzles. I haven't seen the new Hasegawa kit but I seriously doubt they molded new fuselage halves for the square tail fairings, it is most likely the basic F-15B/D kit with new decals and canard parts only. 

Correction: the PW nozzles looked "regular" but they were also capable of vectored thrust

https://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/F-15ACTIVE/Large/EC95-43273-4.jpg

Edited by habu2
On 8/5/2017 at 0:47 AM, flanker27 said:

From real life, check out youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0RbanvcPmI

Great video and beautiful plane!! I'd love to build one if Hasegawa would come up with the kit dedicated to this scheme with all the specific details like hump & bumps & antennae & esp. the pitot tube configurations in it!

Edited by flybywire
5 hours ago, habu2 said:

The bottoms were also squared, see pics in this thread on ARC. 

Having said that, the jet flew with both 2D vectored nozzles and the regular PW engine nozzles. I haven't seen the new Hasegawa kit but I seriously doubt they molded new fuselage halves for the square tail fairings, it is most likely the basic F-15B/D kit with new decals and canard parts only. 

Correction: the PW nozzles looked "regular" but they were also capable of vectored thrust

https://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/F-15ACTIVE/Large/EC95-43273-4.jpg

Only the ACTIVE program had the multi-axial thrust.  The S/MTD flew with regular engines until the 2D/CD engines were installed. The ACTIVE program came after after the S/MTD program ended.  

Edited by fasteagle12
On 8/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mizar said:

pretty sure that for December they will rebox it with Sorcer markings from Ace Combat Zero,as for now I ordered one just to be sure to not commit the same mistake I did for the Advanced Super Hornet as I can't find one and nobody is doing that dang pod in 1/72

Luigi

I bought the kit, I didn't preorder it but was lucky enough to get one from backorder in HLJ soon after release. As for the resin parts, they aren't exactly stellar. They aren't even CAD designed and masters 3D printed, they are old school scratch built. The CFT aren't even perfectly symmetrical but fit ok, the ECS heat exchanger intakes or whatever those hexagonal panels aren't the same size and position. The advanced weapon pod isn't 100% symmetrical either and even has a few marks left from the pattern maker. Anyways made some resin copies of it for future projects.

Seems the resin parts for their limited editions are just good enough representations. I also got the F-15I with the resin CFT pylons before they retooled their F-15E boxings, the detail is so-so and the full length ones were badly shrunk.

I don't know how good the extra resin pieces for the F-15 S/MTD but something is better than nothing.

Thanks Inquisitor, I'm just in the need of that pod for a special Silent Eagle project so if anything laziness aside I was planning to make some extra copies for it and open them up,if anything knowing real pod's length,height and width will help but I doubt someone will ever post them

Luigi