I have done a few things for the Tanmodel RF-84F. It is a very nice kit with just a few “issues”. The outer main wing ailerons are too narrow, leaving a gap between the fuselage and inner ailerons. The wheels need to be slightly taller and wider, with better hub details, and the exhaust needed to be a bit larger in diameter and “seamless” with better “sugar scoops”. I also added the tail skid, some didn’t have them bolted up, but most did.

I poured 20 sets and will send them to Sprue Brothers if there is enough interest.

I could use some feedback.

Thanks,

Harold (AMS Resin)

On 8/5/2017 at 3:52 AM, madmanrick said:

So will this be a set or will each piece have to be purchased seperately? I am interested in a set including these items.

All items are in one set. They are to fix or enhance the kit parts. The exhaust section is the hardest to use, the area on the inner fuselage needs trimming until the new part fits properly. Trail and error until nice an tight.

Edited by Harold
9 hours ago, Nathant said:

Possible future customer here... anything for the cockpit?

I have been tinkering on the pit area, Too many distractions right now, so it is on the back of the bench. If I bring it forward, I will post anything I get done right here on ARC.

I'm curious, since the plane was 3d scanned, why these items are not to scale. Are you looking at drawings, photographs, a real plane...?

As more kits are done with laser scanning, the issue of what constitutes the best documentation becomes more important. Used to, you picked a set of drawings that were supposedly accurate, and looked at photos to determine if a kit was good. But drawings are a secondary source, and photos have issues with angle, perspective, focal length, resolution, etc. While, *theoretically*, a 3d scan is "ground truth."

Obviously there are issues converting a scan to a scale model. A trim tab might be a strip of 1/16" sheet metal, for instance, and there is no way to reproduce something that thin in a kit mold. And if the scan doesn't have sufficient resolution, you would still have to "fudge" things. But it seems like a kit mfr who used laser scanning could come to the forum and say "you're wrong, this is an exact replica, your drawings are off or your photos are misleading."

And please don't think I am criticizing your work--I have no basis for doing so. Your post just got me thinking.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:58 PM, punder said:

I'm curious, since the plane was 3d scanned, why these items are not to scale. Are you looking at drawings, photographs, a real plane...?

As more kits are done with laser scanning, the issue of what constitutes the best documentation becomes more important. Used to, you picked a set of drawings that were supposedly accurate, and looked at photos to determine if a kit was good. But drawings are a secondary source, and photos have issues with angle, perspective, focal length, resolution, etc. While, *theoretically*, a 3d scan is "ground truth."

Obviously there are issues converting a scan to a scale model. A trim tab might be a strip of 1/16" sheet metal, for instance, and there is no way to reproduce something that thin in a kit mold. And if the scan doesn't have sufficient resolution, you would still have to "fudge" things. But it seems like a kit mfr who used laser scanning could come to the forum and say "you're wrong, this is an exact replica, your drawings are off or your photos are misleading."

And please don't think I am criticizing your work--I have no basis for doing so. Your post just got me thinking.

Unfortunately the scan can't cover the entire structure (some areas are impossible to see with the scan) I don't use drawings, (I may use measurements via some drawings though, if I know the source). I do use some photos from others  but I usually add my own eyeball and measuring tape on an actual airframe.  You don't NEED these parts, they are for modelers with AMS...That's why I call my business AMS Resin. 

Edited by Harold
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 4:14 PM, Harold said:

I have done a few things for the Tanmodel RF-84F. It is a very nice kit with just a few “issues”. The outer main wing ailerons are too narrow, leaving a gap between the fuselage and inner ailerons. The wheels need to be slightly taller and wider, with better hub details, and the exhaust needed to be a bit larger in diameter and “seamless” with better “sugar scoops”. I also added the tail skid, some didn’t have them bolted up, but most did.

I poured 20 sets and will send them to Sprue Brothers if there is enough interest.

I could use some feedback.

Thanks,

Harold (AMS Resin)

I forgot to mention, I do have the MB seat as well, it isn't part of this set, but you can get one at Sprue Bros.