Easy to build kit for SEA Camo with engraved panel lines

I want to do a quick test mule build in 1/48, or maybe 1/72 to try a new brand of paint and weathering techniques.  I want to work on panel line washes, so engraved panel lines are needed. This will all be practice for a major project.

I wanted to build a monogram F-105, since it goes together quickly but it has raised panel lines and I do not want to take the time to scribe. I want this kit to fit well so I do not want to do a ton of filling and sanding. I also need this to not be too fiddly.

I do have an AMT F-4C, but the last time I built that kit I seem to remember the fit on the lower part of the forward fuselage was not so good. The only kit that comes to mind right now is a Tamiya A-1, but I am not too familiar with a lot of kits out there, so maybe you all have some ideas?  I know Hobby Boss has an F-105 but I am not sure how fiddly it is.   Priority is easy & quick to build. 

Thanks

Hasegawa 1/48 A-7D, this has been on my to-do list since birth.....

This kit goes together nicely, build it wheels up speed brake down, nice presentation.

I did an "E" model this way, ran a curved acrylic rod up the exhaust, attached to a base.

Curt

Does the E go together pretty easily?  I do have two of the Pro Modeler early E kits. no pesky leading edge slats....

I also have the A-7D, I bought it 17 years ago along with PE and a resin seat with the idea of doing a detailed build. I even tried to sell it twice on ebay but both bidders never paid, so I guess that means I was meant to build it.

The Meng 102 looks like a good choice which I never would have thought of.  Ends up the paint I wanted to use does not yet offer fs36622 so I can hold off for a bit. 

24 minutes ago, Spectre711 said:

The sabre looks nice in SEA camo. I do plan on a 1/72 F-86H but I was not sure if the special hobby kit is a quick and easy build.

I once owned an Academy F-86F but I sold it and never built it. Does that kit or the Hasegawa kit fit well and build easily? 

Over thinking! look on your shelf and pull something off! it sounds like you want to experiment  with the new paints so just pull one of those kits you have on your shelf  and put it together, than spend your time painting! Enjoy! Cheers Baronred3

The F-4 has been mentioned several times...

however, the Hasegawa long nose phantom is a mix of recessed (main fuselage/wings), and raised lines (sprues from the older kits...pylons, drop tanks, and other bits).  It also requires some finesse in assembly, as does most of their phantom kits, and some filler around the wing/fuselage underside joint, intakes, etc.  They can be built quickly..but they are some work.

If you truly want a quick build, that also has a good level of detail, you cant go wrong with the Hasegawa F-104C (and Caracal decals for the SEA scheme).  http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48102.html

The kit is a VERY easy build and looks great when done.  Its also small enough that you can do your experment without having a 2 square feet of plastic to cover (such as an F-4)

I have one in SEA camo in progress now...

1 hour ago, andyrens said:

If you truly want a quick build, that also has a good level of detail, you cant go wrong with the Hasegawa F-104C (and Caracal decals for the SEA scheme).  http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48102.html

Ahh yes I have that kit ... and those decals.  I am building an F-104 now in the modern Luftwaffe GB 

I did think of this one, but I ran into a bit of trouble with the bulkheads interfering with the fit of the fuselage halves. Did you encounter this, and if so how did you deal with it?  Aside from that, as long as I do not try filling in the rivets again, this kit does fit well and is pretty straightforward. 

2 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Ahh yes I have that kit ... and those decals.  I am building an F-104 now in the modern Luftwaffe GB 

I did think of this one, but I ran into a bit of trouble with the bulkheads interfering with the fit of the fuselage halves. Did you encounter this, and if so how did you deal with it?  Aside from that, as long as I do not try filling in the rivets again, this kit does fit well and is pretty straightforward. 

no issue with the bulkheads myself.  However, I also followed the DACO advise within their correction set and did not glue the bulkheads into the fueselage, but instead left them floating (the landing gear bay assembly).  I then secured once the fuselage is closed and before adding the bottom fuselage plate. 

Nice F-104G by the way, that is really looking nice.