Hasegawa vs Kinetic F-18 Comparison Question

Hi Brad,

How is retirement? I hope you are enjoying yourself.

I've lost track of how many Hasegawa Hornet's I have built. The kit is basic when compared to the Kinetic kit, but I still like it. I like to dress it up and I love the look and shape if it. So many panels I open on a regular basis are represented well.

I see something wrong with the nose shape on the Kinetic kit. From the front canopy forward. It jumps out at me every time I see the kit, it looks bloated.

I have the Canada 150 jet on pre-order. I've only seen built Kinetic kits. So I can't say what it looks like in the box.

I can definitely tell which kit is the Kinetic and Hasegawa kit on the table without asking just by looking at the nose from 5 feet away.

I know others rave about the Kinetic kit. That may change for me once I have an unbuilt kit in hand.

Scobby

do you know the shape of hasegawa hornet is not correct ? Also the vertical tail is 2mm longer than the real one in 48 scale.

During the development stage we checked a lot of times on the shape and discover the most accurate one is monogram hornet which match the drawing perfectly. 

But I also read an article in Japan where the Japanese maker usually change the profile in 48 scale in order to make it look better for human eye. Also some AFV developed by tamiya is not correct in dimension while other kit maker deliver the same subject with correct dimension. 

So this is not a matter of accuracy it is a matter on how is look likes with some artist adjustment. 

Guys,

I have both the Hasegawa kit and the Kinetic CF-188 kit, and I am just looking for opinions if they both would look ok together side by side. For example, I have Hasegawa Mk IX Spitfires next to my Eduard ones, and you can sure tell who is who.

Thanks

Brad

Morning guys,

I am just getting settled in here in Georgia, now that the house is pretty much setup, I am starting in my hobby room. Once I have this done, I will definitely be building my 4 Kinetics and my Hasegawa; but sadly, I'm on the road to St Louis for a bit...

The Kinetic **** appears **** to need a bit more putty in assembly then the Hasegawa from what I have seen online. But my first couple Hasegawa builds were far from without putty too. Once I build one for myself I can say for sure.

Have one on order with the Canada 150 markings and am looking forward to its arrival. Do like the refueling probe out of the box feature.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

The Kinetic **** appears **** to need a bit more putty in assembly then the Hasegawa from what I have seen online. But my first couple Hasegawa builds were far from without putty too. Once I build one for myself I can say for sure.

Have one on order with the Canada 150 markings and am looking forward to its arrival. Do like the refueling probe out of the box feature.

Yes, I agree. The major issue is on the nose where multiple option and refueling prob with 7 parts in total. The accumulated error on the plastic will create some putty work to align. The Hasegawa does not have this problem. But also, they don't have the option to provide the updated louver. On the other hand, the in take from Hasegawa also require some putty work.

What I want to say is that even through 2 kits are F/A-18, each has it features, it depends on what you need. Just like compare Tomcat from Hasegawa and Tamiya. Each has its features. It depends on what you need.

I'll put in my two sense. I'm not familiar enough with the Hornet to see anything wrong with the shapes. They both look good to me. After building the Kinetic kit, I will probably never purchase another Hasegawa kit. I don't build many Hornets, so I can't get good at building the Hasegawa kit. The Kinetic kit was SO much easier to build. The only ding I had with the Kinetic kit is that wheels look off (a bit "balloony", if you will) and there aren't enough ECM antenna for the C (which gave me a chance to make some for my Steel Beach line). Other than that, I enjoyed building the Kinetic kit.

Kinetic

7205139_orig.jpg[/img]

Hasegawa

_4402575_orig.jpg

I love the options given.

Wing Fold

IFR Probe

Flaps Up Down (w/wing fold)

Rudder position

External Stores

NLG door options

Door 1 options

Noteable plus (IMO)

Not many areas worse that the intakes to fill (lets face it many kits have areas to fill - this is the lesser of the two evils IMO)

Gear details

Cockpit details

Door 1 details

Door 64/68 details

MLG door details

Stn 1 and 9 details

Overall I have a better appreciation for this kit over the other brands. I find the kit goes well together, but not without some issues. But nothing that can't be overcome.

The kit offers some extraordinary opportunities to detail this kit without a whole lot of extra work. Add some aftermarket details, and you have a winner.

Build the kit OOB, you will have a fine example of your subject!

I am curious tho....I have line drawings of the aircraft and will compare the "shape" issues that was mentioned. I nevered noticed that before...but I never really let it bother me, I was just looking for a good kit of the Hornet; I found mine!

Nice job Raymond.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I see Kinetic has  F/A-18B but is there a F/A-18D available as well?

An F/A-18D can be built from the box. You'll just have to know which parts to use as they aren't called out in the instructions.

8 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

An F/A-18D can be built from the box. You'll just have to know which parts to use as they aren't called out in the instructions.

Is that the CF-188 kit? Does it have the ATARS lower fuselage?

Also, Kinetic F/A-18D is listed as TBA over on Cybermodeler.

21 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

Scobby

do you know the shape of hasegawa hornet is not correct ? Also the vertical tail is 2mm longer than the real one in 48 scale.

During the development stage we checked a lot of times on the shape and discover the most accurate one is monogram hornet which match the drawing perfectly. 

But I also read an article in Japan where the Japanese maker usually change the profile in 48 scale in order to make it look better for human eye. Also some AFV developed by tamiya is not correct in dimension while other kit maker deliver the same subject with correct dimension. 

So this is not a matter of accuracy it is a matter on how is look likes with some artist adjustment. 

The artistic adjustment to look right to the human eye vs accurately scale model looking off isn't new.

For example, someone in this forum, can't remember who, mentioned he knows someone who works with race car wind tunnel models. They're 1/4 iirc and even though they're perfect scale representations for engineering purposes, to the naked eye the model looks off compared to the real deal.

Another instance of this kind of discussion came up in another scale model car forum when the Tamiya, Fujimi and Aoshima Nissan GT-Rs came out at the same time years ago, with people measuring every inch of the real car vs the model and coming up to the conclusion that the Aoshima is the most accurate model, yet the Tamiya is the one that looks right to the eye and it's been known that Tamiya tweaks their car models with that in mind.

Edited by Inquisitor
4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Mr. Roof, what is your assessment of the accuracy of the Kinetic's F-18.

Edited by B.Sin

Thanks Darren for posting the pics. It's not perfect, but it gives me an idea as to what they might look like side by side. I'll build them both. I also has a Super Hornet 2/3's built that will have RCAF markings on it just because. :)

Cheers all

Brad

14 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

Is that the CF-188 kit? Does it have the ATARS lower fuselage?

Also, Kinetic F/A-18D is listed as TBA over on Cybermodeler.

The CF-18 kit has everything you need to build an A/B/C/D included is the ATARS nose. The kit has both Tails. 

22 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Thanks Dave. I'll go that direction instead of Hasegawa next time.