[Finished] 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS to ECR: Lego tiger

Thanks Jaybee, nice thread full of brit humour in there :) love it

Lancer i see what you mean, although it's barely noticeable from the side, it is quite obvious when viewed from the top

041_lego_tiger_tail.png

the bulge ends up rather abruptly well before the front of the tail. That red curve is nowhere on the real jet and asyou said it kind of blend in smoothly up to the forward edge of the tail....

042_lego_tiger_tail.png

As a consequence the forward edge of the fin is actually way too thin and should be much more massive....

One way to solve this would be to reshape the forward part of the fin - it shouldn't be too hard to do. I'm not sure if it's worth doing or not as I might actually end up with something asymetrical which would catch eyes more than the revell's misschapen tail fin . I'll give it some thoughts ....

thanks for pointing it out though - i really hadn't noticed yet

Edited by Red Dog

The landing configuration i choose calls for intake relief door open.

that won't be easy to do as the forward door is smack in the middle of the fitting issues and the internal intake trunk doens't match the outside fuselage.

so i decided to open the door after the fuselage has been completely closed and cleaned of the mess.

but to be able to do that, the internal intake brace needs to be cut otherwise they will conflict with the opened door.

034_lego_tiger_relief_door.png

The area marked green need to be removed, i left the forward top brace in to provide a strong contact point for the fuselage side.

035_lego_tiger_relief_door.png

Then the area is roughly cleaned and will be painted black

i probably won't open the intake trunks as the edouard set provide the doors and with the angle they open, their hole is not visible, so i'll probably just glue them in place in there.

The swing wing design is outstanding and very sturdy. the only part that is so so is the wing gloves that are very flat and would gain benefit from being more shaped.

I don't plan on keeping the moveable feature as my model will be landing I need the full forward 25° wing sweep.

Unfortunately the default minimum wing sweep revell engineered is not 25°.

I measured mine to 28° which is only 3° more than what it should be and my measurment might not be 100% accurate.

it's not much but definitely visible (once you know it)

043_lego_tiger_wing.png

I debated if i should fix this or not and it's such an easy fix that i decided to do it anyway. At least the wing will remain just a bit moveable between 25 and 30° (they can't sweep more aft due to the wing glove part that i purposedly did not open to full 68° wing sweep) i will thgus be able to adjust that later on

044_lego_tiger_wing28.png

this is the default revell position i measured at 28°

045_lego_tiger_wing25.png

that is the new forward position 25°

The fix simply implies to cut the forward lip of each wing that block the T shaped wing lock part. That way the wing can sweep just a bit forward than the default position revell planned.

Just to be sure i wouldn't have see through the wings with the new wing position i glued and shaped some resin bits on the wing. But in the end it wasn't necessary as after placing the wing shoulders, i woulnd't see the resin but only the plastic. But it was better to be safe than sorry on that one.

046_lego_tiger_wing.png

Before closing the top fuselage i decided to cut away the top intakes and glue them separately on the intakes sides rather than to have them glued on the top fuselage

I also identified two lines that needed to be cut for better fitting of the top fuselage, these two lines are just a bit too long and don't go fully into the notches. I found that shorthening them just a bit really helps fitting the top fuselage

047_lego_tiger_top-fuselage.png

Edited by Red Dog
  • 4 weeks later...

The wings being assembled, closing the top fuselage didn't bring any issue.

Closing the speedbrake need an extra layer for the speedbrakes part to be flush. I used the PE anyway which provided excatly the thickness required for a better fit.

some putty and sanding were anyway required on the side fuselage. Details where rescribed afterwards

048_lego_tiger_airbrake.png

The next challenge would be the intakes. I wasn't particularily excited with the way Revell's instructions build the intakes. I was really concerned with the massive amount of sanding the sides of the intakes would require. 

So the intakes were assembled on the sides - with the ramp fully up -  to be glued on later.

The intate trunk received the eduard PE doors which were glued in the open position

Then only were the intakes glued to the fuselage taking care for proper aligning.

Well no matter how hard I tried, the side of the intakes nevertheless needed a lot of sanding and all details were lost. 

Sanding happened before gluing the wing gloves into place

Then I marked the auxiliary intake doors location for removing with the picoti technique :)

049_lego_tiger_intakedoor.png

050_lego_tiger_intakedoor.png

After a bit of cleaning up, panel lines were rescribed

Considering the huge distance between the side fuselage and the intake trunk, especially at the rear door, I think I made the right choice to cheat on the opening of the aux doors.

Trying to match the inside opening with the outside opening would be very hard and the cheat which is actually the inside trunk not being cut through remains quite invisible

If you look inside the trunk (as I'll show later) you see the eduard PE aux doors open and when you look from outside you don't really need inside the trunk anyway

Once the cut to shape plasicard will be placed as intake doors, I'm sure the final result will be more than enough.

Another big surprise was the fitting of the canopy

It fits reasonably well and is very tight - which will help using it as masking for the cockpit hole while priming and painting. But the rear hinges fit are horrible and create a huge step with the dorsal spine

they were sanded smooth but it is still visible! It's not something you'd notice with the canopy open, but when you close it it's awful

Here's the model before it's final coat of Mr Surfacer

051_lego_tiger_surfacer.png

052_lego_tiger_surfacer.png

Let's start with a layer of white

055_lego_tiger_white.png

Then Yellow and some care for the fading to white 
I iinitially wanted to use the dark chrome yellow from MRP which seemed to be fine when looking at the bottle. But when I sprayed it was too light, so I reverted to H24 from Gunze

055_lego_tiger_yellow.png

Then some masking tests on easy parts

056_lego_tige_masktest.png

And a spray of MRP 105 for FS35237 which is the standard one colour Luftwaffe tornado:

057_lego_tige_masktest.png

Edited by Red Dog

Then getting ready for the left side fuselage. I didn't want to do the full bird in one go, so I protected the right side

058_lego_tiger_leftside.png

Masks are really good, I didn't have much trouble to stick them on and from the photo comparing i did they are quite accurate and most importantly well cut and smartly designed.

Some gray paint later

059_lego_tiger_leftside.png

Some details

061_lego_tiger_leftside_detail.png

060_lego_tiger_leftside_detail.png

Thanks mate, I think I went too far with the orange fading on the tail, I'll try to correct that later on

No plan on weathering that one too much indeed, it was short lived and kept proper, I know I won't resist on some exhaust stains on the vertical tail ue to the reverse though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Painting for the left side was completed last week:

065_lego_tiger_paint.png

Inner parts like the flaps, the inside of the spoilers and the inside of the slats were painted with the MRP equivalent of H307. that provides a lighter grey which incidentally is part of the colours used on the same aircraft before it was painted as the lego bomber. The BOZ pods are H307 as well but i will lighten them up as i paint the harms with H308.

Gear were assembled separately. Not much work on the kit's gear leg except adding the braking lines and various lines

071_lego_tiger_gear.png

these were painted MRP white and the Brassin wheels H77.

066_lego_tiger_paint.png

The front wheel oleo was cut shorter to give the forward pitch moment of the braking on the runway.

Didn't want to overdo it too much but the pitch down is noticeable (i cut about 3mm of the oleo)

067_lego_tiger_paint.png

069_lego_tiger_paint.png

Top and bottom wings also received a coat of basalt grey for the part of the wing sliding inside.

And finally all the black panels were painted as well on fuselage, nose and tail

The deciding factor to make this model initially was the possibility to open the thrust reverser straight from the box. 

Nevertheless some PE parts are available on the eduard sheet, so why not use them.

Eduard suggest to add PE parts on the top and bottom thrust reversers. But only the bottom plates are redirecting the airflow, the top reversers are pretty void of any details.
So don't follow eduard instructions and study carefully your pictures (It seems there is less and less quality control jobs in the aftermarket industry nowadays, ...)

072_lego_tiger_exhaust.png

073_lego_tiger_exhaust.png

Once assembled the bottom reversers are pretty good and well detailled.
The top reversers (on the right below) were just detailled with archer rivet lines

074_lego_tiger_exhaust.png

Eduard also provides details PE parts for the actuators arms for the reversers. The instructions tells you to glue them on part 121 which are the closed reversers.

I glued them on 122 which are the open ones. They are 8 PE parts, i couldn't figure if it was meant to be double sided or for all 4x122 and 4x121 parts. It's either 122 or 121 so no need to have both set detailled.

I glued them double sided but honestly it doesn't make any difference. One side would have been more than enough.

075_lego_tiger_exhaust.png

Next step was painting the exhaust parts in different shades ol alclad.

As usual, i don't have any rule and progress by ear. In this case i used magnesium as base colour, a bit of steel and aluminium. exhaust manifold for the tailend and inner exhausts

For effect I used pale burnt metal and hot metal blue, berely visible in the pictures but it's visible to the naked eye.

077_lego_tiger_exhaust.png

the parts were then assembled and glued on the fuselage:

076_lego_tiger_exhaust.png