VMF-214 F4U-1A #883

Got my Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A on the bench again and have decided to do it as 883 with the kit decals. I have a few questions to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

1. 883 didn't have the belly window or at least it was painted over correct?

2. Zinc yellow or green wheels wells and doors. The only photo I could find of it gear down the doors are in a shadow the outside of the doors is bright but the inner is dark so which is more likely yellow or green?

3. no headrest and black armor plate behind the pilots head?

4. I can't find a pic of 883 with the tape on the fuel tank area but there are pics of other 214 1As  with it around the same time. So could it has had tape applied at sometime?

5. Fresh/darker blue under the 88.

I know a few of these have been ask before in speaking generally but I couldn't find anything direct to 883 so any info would be greatly appreciated.

The only photo I have of Aldrich's "883" is from about 7 o'clock, after his being WIA 28.Jan. 1944.  Bellied-in, it's now jacked up onto its wheels.  I can't shed any light on your questions due to the photo angle, but as some cowl panels are missing, any tape would likely have 'gone' as well.

The finish, besides bullet / cannon damage(s), it is rather beat-up.

You're probably familiar with this image, but if not, I'd be happy to email it to you.  I don't have a photo-hosting service, but you can send along your email in a PM if you wish.

Good luck with your build,

GRM

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-08-06 at 9:08 PM, VIPER0177 said:

Got my Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A on the bench again and have decided to do it as 883 with the kit decals. I have a few questions to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

1. 883 didn't have the belly window or at least it was painted over correct?

2. Zinc yellow or green wheels wells and doors. The only photo I could find of it gear down the doors are in a shadow the outside of the doors is bright but the inner is dark so which is more likely yellow or green?

3. no headrest and black armor plate behind the pilots head?

4. I can't find a pic of 883 with the tape on the fuel tank area but there are pics of other 214 1As  with it around the same time. So could it has had tape applied at sometime?

5. Fresh/darker blue under the 88.

I know a few of these have been ask before in speaking generally but I couldn't find anything direct to 883 so any info would be greatly appreciated.

1. No belly window.

2. Wheel wells and doors were painted the surrounding belly color, not yellow zinc or interior green.

3. It did have a headrest and I'd say interior green for the armor plate.

For the remaining questions download these instructions: 

http://fundekals.com/corsair_48_72.html