Ace Combat: Yellow 13 SU 33 Paint choices

Need some help identifying the right paints to do a Yellow 13 Replica. 

So far, I have identified some Tamiya Acrylics, namely XF3 Yellow, XF25/XF54 light/dark sea grey, and some others. But I want to make sure the dual grey camp scheme is distinct enough to make it pop. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

This paint chart should help. You can mix the light and dark sea greys for the intermediate grey but I think XF-24 Dark Grey would be a better alternative to the DSG. For the yellow, you can consider X-8 Lemon Yellow as an alternative.

10242450t2.jpg

Mark

5 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

This paint chart should help. You can mix the light and dark sea greys for the intermediate grey but I think XF-24 Dark Grey would be a better alternative to the DSG. For the yellow, you can consider X-8 Lemon Yellow as an alternative.

10242450t2.jpg

Mark

Thanks for the tip Mark, I look forward to this build!

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • 2 weeks later...

I built this a couple of years ago and hand masked everything - took forever. Would love to have had that masking template. It's a striking scheme I must admit and 1 I don't ever tire of seeing. Hope you post your build on here when you've done it

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 2:19 AM, The Madhatter said:

I built this a couple of years ago and hand masked everything - took forever. Would love to have had that masking template. It's a striking scheme I must admit and 1 I don't ever tire of seeing. Hope you post your build on here when you've done it

Started a new thread for the build progress if you care to take a gander. Haven't begun painting yet, but am getting closer. 

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested. I taught myself how to crudely use Adobe Illustrator to create vector die cut lines for the masking of the Yellow squadron paint scheme. 

7bckTCG.jpg 

I began in Photoshop and used the magnetic lasso tool to cut out the dark grey sections and what i was left with was above^. The pattern given by Hasegawa is not the correct pattern for masking light to dark color-wise. So, I took matters into my own hands, and did this, saved it as a work path in PS, copied directly into Illustrator and boom, a printable vectored stencil (for the main body). 

If anyone wants a cop, let me know! I am happy to share the file so you do not have to do the legwork yourself. Too big to upload here, but just shoot me a PM.