Giving up beer for a month

9 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I guess I'm the odd duck here. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in my life. It's not because I'm against it, though the POTENTIAL effects are devastating. There are four factors that did it for me. One, there is alcoholism that runs in my extended family, two I drink because I'm thirsty, and I drink a lot, three I don't like being out of control in my decision making, and four I was a firefighter/EMT and saw what effects alcohol caused in accidents. It wasn't pretty! I have a very outgoing personality, so I don't need alcohol to "loosen up". I'm also a very relaxed person, so I don't need alcohol for that either. The smell puts me off, so I can imagine that the taste would too. So, there you have my odd ball story of why I've never drank.

Yep, nothing wrong with that Darren!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

I just quit drinking sodas recently. I don't drink alcohol or beer very often at all (Maybe had one or two drinks all year). Now the hard part is quitting smoking. I've tried before cold turkey and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I still gotta try again at some point.

I've cut way back on alcohol consumption and now just have it as a treat (like dessert) occasionally.  Probably have 3-4 per week,  usually on the weekends or after a good bicycle ride where the carbs and calories are put to use.  Around the campfire in the summer I might have 2 really light beers like Michelob Ultra.  In the winter I might enjoy a darker stout at the workbench while modeling.

I also get lathargic if I have 2 or more and it goes right to my belly fat if I don't burn it off!

Completely gave up soda and diet soda a couple years back, pure junk my body can live without.   I drink a lot of water nowadays, with some hydration supplements if I'm sweating a lot (salts, potassium, magnesium, etc) to help prevent muscle cramps.  I also stopped drinking Gatorade as like soda it's full is sugar my body doesn't need.

Edited by toadwbg

I`m turning 38 in october and just don`t see myself with a bottle in my hand containing alcohol. Never drink the stuff, never liked beer and no smoking. Not my lifestyle. My bad habit is drinking too much milk. Diet soda is a laugh. Some people get fooled easily. My weight issues at the time forced me to give up drinking pop maybe 8 years ago. My older sister almost lost her life in an alcohol related car accident when i was a kid. No fun for a 7 y.o. kid opening the front door and seeing PD for the first time wanting to have a word with my parents. This may have had a say on my judgement on the matter. Seeing so many people have some sort of relationship with alcohol makes it easier to distance myself from them. I don`t like being too social i mostly stick to my own habitat. For me what it all boils down to is what kind of a man i wish to be and what my standards should be.             

On 8/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, Janissary said:

Do you also feel lethargic with beer and if so how do you incorporate it into your daily life especially if you have a family and endless chores to run? 

I had given up beer previously, but I have gone ahead and, in my view, expanded that by really cutting carbs down dramatically, by practicing a ketogenic diet for the past 8 months, shooting for less than 30 carbs per day.    I have lost a bit over 50 pounds, and am off of my blood pressure meds per doctors orders!.  I have felt (after the first week) fantasic, with great energy levels.  My work is 50 miles away, and I work 10 hour days.  

There are tons of online resources about this, and I would recommend, if you feel it is something you are interested in, read up as much as possible.  it is actually pretty simple, ONCE you get past the idea of giving up on carbohydrate-based foods!

Many years ago I did the low carb diet.  Lost 120 lbs.   Gained back 130.  Its a lifestyle change, you cannot go back to eating carbs like you have in the past.  Tried the low carb diet again and lost 60 lbs.  Gained it all back. After realizing it was something I had to do for life, tried again, hit a wall after losing 25 lbs.  Could not break through. Body said no and it wasn't going to happen.

Now I'm trying something different. Much less of everything, including carbs.

I guess I may be in the minority of ARC members after reading these posts. While I have a few close modeler friends who do not drink any alcohol, I also have a few who do. One of my other interests in life is craft beer and I make an effort to visit different microbreweries as I travel around the country. I don't drink to excess but I do love a nice barrel aged stout! (or Porter or IPA or Sour....). Combining two of my interests, I really enjoyed an event held earlier this year in Atlanta called Hops in the Hanger. It was a nice beer festival held in the Delta Airlines museum  - great combination of cool aircraft and some nice beer!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

5 hours ago, RKic said:

5-10 beers a week is NOT a problem. That is a very moderate amount. 

Depends, with some beers coming in at >15% ABV, 10 beers could be pretty significant.  All depends on the individual. I usually have a beer every other day or so, maybe a few Fri night with Ms Bee.   

Drinking habits!!

Very seldom drink beer!!  But I DO drink 3 oz. of 80 Proof most every night.  5 or 6 ice cubes and the rest of 10 oz. glass is water.  Takes some two hours to sip it dry.

Usually have to go to the head only once during night.  Tried most every bourbon on the market and finally settled on the Cheap Canadian R & R brand.  Buy it by the Case every 3 or 4 months, depending on number of guest we have.  But none of you try R & R as I want the price to stay low!!  Cardiologist said aspirin and 1 oz. of alcohol is all I need to thin blood and dilate blood vessels. (Yeah, I know 3 oz. is 1.2 oz. of alcohol. 3 oz. hits a spot on my drinking glasses.)

Bo