Here is my entry. I'll be clearing off the bench to focus on this one.

IMG_20170810_214549015.jpg

Not sure about the Lynx decals yet. But they're in my stash, and if I can't find anything else I like, I may use them.

Damn, but this is a big model!

All I can say is Belcher Bits 1/48th scale CF-101 Voodoo sheets.  Very good decals.

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/decals/bd9.htm

Or if you can find the, Leading Edge Models CF-101 Voodoo decals.  Very good and more comprehensive that Belcher Bits as it includes all the maintenance stencils.

http://www.arcair.com/Rev2/1701-1800/rev1784-Leading-Edge4806/00.shtm

Mike

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

I had some problems with warpage on the fuselage, which created steps on portions of the spine. That's all been cleaned up now, and (raised) panel lines restored.

Getting ready to clean up the intakes now.

I cut away the bars which connect them, as it improves fit.

IMG_20170813_230131012.jpg

You're welcome sir.  Also, for added realism of an RCAF CF-101, sand off all the slime lights and leave off the vent (and fill void) on the right front underside of the nose.  Canadian Voodoos didn't have either feature.  Here's a link to a photo of the one displayed in Hamilton, Ontario so you can see what I mean.  Just trying to help.

Look forward to your progress.

Mike

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=647&q=cf-101&oq=cf-101&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i24k1l3j0i10i24k1.1102.2153.0.2617.6.6.0.0.0.0.94.479.6.6.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.6.473.vgxD9jXrR58#imgrc=teBvMpTbH-9Q5M:

I think you mean the intake on the port (left) underside and it is still there but is a NACA type intake and not the scoop provided in the kit.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=647&q=cf-101&oq=cf-101&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i24k1l3j0i10i24k1.1102.2153.0.2617.6.6.0.0.0.0.94.479.6.6.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.6.473.vgxD9jXrR58#imgrc=WvkrbE8T_YDCBM:

I don't have my references handy but I believe this is only in regard to our second batch of voodoos (which were from older US stock) and our first batch had the intake scoop but the lynx markings he has would be a second batch jet so your talk as to change would apply.

Also if he chooses to do the black ECM aircraft (67) it does have the slime lights but it is true that you have to take them off for all other Canadian Voodoos (both batches)

Edited by RCAFFAN

You're correct.  I made a mistake.  I meant port side, not starboard.  Omit part 67 and fill the depression where that part glues into the fuselage to model a second batch CF-101B otherwise the depression buggers up the finish.  First batch 101's had a vent similar to part 67 but it was much less pronounced.  And yes, you're right again,  The Electric Voodoo was the only one with slime lights.

When I was working on the Monogram 1/48 (Hawk One Canada) I took two strips of plastic and glued them into the depression in the shape of the NACA inlet and filled behind them then sanded it all smooth to the fuselage leaving a pretty good impression of the NACA inlet. It was fairly easy to do so RKic might give that a try....

2 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

When I was working on the Monogram 1/48 (Hawk One Canada) I took two strips of plastic and glued them into the depression in the shape of the NACA inlet and filled behind them then sanded it all smooth to the fuselage leaving a pretty good impression of the NACA inlet. It was fairly easy to do so RKic might give that a try....

That's what I did too.  I also gave it a spot coat of filler to make sure it was nice and smooth.

Thank's, guys. This has been very informative. 

Slime lights have been deleted and tail panels rescribed.

IMG_20170815_210515439.jpg 

I'm still not sure about whether I'll use the lynx decals or go for one of the sets Mike recommended, so I'm staying away from the little vent for now. 

In case I do go with an early batch bird, can those of you who did build the NACA intake, show me a photo of what it looks like on the model? 

Also, did Canadian voodoos retain the Falcon and Genie missile armament? 

One other mistake from Monogram was the large oval vent on the stbd wing/fuselage area.   It should be rectangular.  I rarely see it taken care of when viewing people's builds.   It may be a bit of a bear to accomplish, though.     Your call !

Cheers, Tony

Canadian Voodoos had the Falcons from the start but there was some controversy about having the Genie (nuclear) weapon in Canada and they were not available under the Conservative government that bought the planes. It was only in 1965 after an agreement through Norad with the new Liberal government that the Genie was available but they were technically kept under ownership of the USAF and only released to us in a time of conflict so Canada could claim they didn't "own" nuclear weapons. I'm sure they were used in training and exercises and I've seen practice rounds around but it wasn't talked about and certainly not shown at an airshow for example. Generally I think you would load the Falcons and leave the Genie side blank in most cases. The Genies were withdrawn at the same time they left US service, before the Voodoos themselves left...

Another interesting option is that the Canadian Voodoos often only flew with one drop tank (usually the starboard) as this was found to be a more efficient set up aerodynamically than two tanks. 

P.S.Tony is right as to the shape of the starboard vent and you can do some carving to make the oval a rectangle which is better but slightly small. Remember the port side is oval still like the kit one. The vent Tony is talking about is about dead center in this photo:

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=647&q=cf-101&oq=cf-101&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i24k1l3j0i10i24k1.1102.2153.0.2617.6.6.0.0.0.0.94.479.6.6.0....0...1.1.64.img..0.6.473.vgxD9jXrR58#imgrc=Zq8taOdC2wZ2gM:

This is a kit problem not just a Canadian thing, and the same mistake was made on the Revell 1/72 kit, assuming both sides were the same.

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 2 weeks later...

Surging ahead today. I installed the interior, nose gear bay, weapons bay and wing.

The missile pan fits poorly so I first glued it to the lower wing and then stuck the whole thing on. Fit of the wing isn't great, but also not as bad as I thought it would be.

IMG_20170902_213124280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...