F-106 questions

Hello,

since a few weeks I'm highly attracted by my Trumpeter F-106!

Unfortunately I want to build an "early" F-106 without the air refueling receptacle - so there's some extra work....

When the F-106 got their air refueling equipment, the heat exchanger air exit was incorporated directly in front of the air refueling ramp (where the hinges for the ramp are). 

Before the installation of the air refueling equipment took place the air exit was at the same location, but now I can't find any good pictures or drawings of the heat exchanger air exit on this panel?!

Some of the F-106 have on their inner weapon bay doors two small NACA-inlets. I've seen this on later (or upgraded?) aircraft - is this associated with the installation of the Vulcan-gun?

I found pictures of F-106's with the inlets but without gun (maybe the aircraft was able to carry the gun, but didn't at this time?).

I think this NACA-intakes are not of importance for my early build, but anyway...:rolleyes:

The early Cockpit-layout of the Delta Dart was with round instruments. Beginning with BuNo. 58-0759 they installed new "vertical tape" instruments.

My build will be a plane from the 57-build range. I've read that many but maybe not all F-106 were retrofitted with the new instruments?! Is there any source to check which aircraft was retrofitted?

Hopefully the F-106 I want to build was retrofitted....:hmmm:

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Jens

The Detail & Scale book does not have photos of the spine except to show the refueling slipway.  There are several profile photos that show where the exhaust is located but provides no detail.  The drawings are for a late Dart with refueling slipway.  The drawings show the two NACA ducts on the armament doors but no photos of same.

A2A refueling was installed between 1967 and 1969.  The gun was a late development.  Kinzey provides no info regarding when the  instrument panel was changed.

The NACA inlets were part of the gun system.  The gun was a removable package, and there weren't enough guns for every jet in a squadron that was equipped with them, so you would frequently see jets with the NACA inlets but no gun.  They may have even been fitted to the squadrons that didn't carry the gun due to the logistical supply chain ("round eye" jets weren't fitted with the gun), I would have to check on that. The "round eye" jets, with conventional dial gauges, were not refitted with the tape instruments, they were updated with some better round gauges though. 

For those interested in the F-106, I can't recommend the new book World's Fastest Single-Engine Jet Aircraft: The Story of Convair's F-106 Delta Dart Interceptor enough.  While it's written as a history of the jet, the author also throws in things that are specifically directed at the modeler.  It's also the only book where I've seen pictures of operational AIM-4Es and gives some concrete info on them.  The author knocked this one out of the park.  Also, this website LINK is an excellent reference for the "Six".

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Hello gentlemen,

thanks a lot for your replies!

The Detail & Scale publication is unfortunately of no value redarding my questions!

Jari, I know that F-106 site and browsed a lot around! But I didn't come up with the idea to look at the manuals :bandhead2: 

There is a lot of information, thanks for the link!

Murph, I was thinking that the NACA-inlets were connected to the gun installation, thanks for the confirmation!

I was afraid that the early Delta Dart didn't get the tape instruments - pah, building up a new IP is a cakewalk...:tease:

And thanks for the book-recommendation, my fingers are circling over the "order" button!

Does anybody know if the Sqadron "In Action" and the Bunrindo "Famous Airplanes of the World" publications are worth the search and the money?

I found a few more pictures of early F-106's and asume, that the heat exchanger air exit is more or less a triangular cutout in the spine with a pipe conforming the shape of the spine and facing rearwards.... I hope my explanation is comprehensible.....

Thanks again and best regards,

Jens

Edited by onescale
1 hour ago, onescale said:

And thanks for the book-recommendation, my fingers are circling over the "order" button!

Do it, you will not be sorry.

Does anybody know if the Sqadron "In Action" and the Bunrindo "Famous Airplanes of the World" publications are worth the search and the money?

Save your money. 

Regards,

Murph

A better reference worth hunting for is Wings of Fame vol 12, here's one on amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Wings-Journal-Classic-Combat-Aircraft/dp/1861840217

The Meng 1/72 kit has both instrument panels and the option for either spine so if you have access to one to look at this may help you too....

also has both types of bang seat too....

Edited by RCAFFAN

Thanks gents!

The book "World's Fastest Single-Engine Jet Aircraft" is ordered and i have the "Wings of Fame" publication since years :thumbsup:

And thanks for the advise with the Meng-kit! It looks to be a excellent kit! I'm somewhat afflicted to my one scale :whistle:. But maybe it's time for a  extension to the smaller scale (now, when my eyes getting worse and worse :doh:). I know a friend of mine owes the Meng F-102, maybe he also has the Delta Dart? A telefon call is long overdue (not just because of the F-106.....)

Thanks again for the help and best regards,

Jens