Re-reading Dana Bell's excellent book on the A-10 (D&S vol. 19), I see the integrated chaff/flare dispensers at the wingtips and gear nacelle ends were added with S/N 77-227. There are a LOT of Hogs built prior to this serial number. Were any of the earlier aircraft back-fit with these integrated dispensers? Given the importance of expendables in protecting an aircraft in the high-threat CAS environment, I imagine some means of protection was provided. If not refit, were the earlier birds relegated to training or other second-line roles?

I would imagine that most A-10's with earlier serial numbers than 77-0227 are in the boneyard by now and, if any are still around they have been brought up to present day standards.

So, to answer your question yes.

Steve

Steve-

Thanks for the reply. I take it from your user name you have some hands-on experience with the type. Can you say when these aircraft would have been refit, and if there was a particular name (e.g., F-16 upgrades had names like "Falcon Up") for this program? Were all production aircraft covered, or only some? There would have been a long service life between when they were built and when they were retired; I'm curious to see if this improvement was made during that time, and if so, how widespread it was..

Thanks for sharing the TO. It's interesting to follow the notes on the mods through the manual (square 8 and 11 are the pertinent notes). The same throttle buttons were changed from engine ignition to chaff (left) / flare (right) dispense. Pilot needed to learn the proper engine start/restart sequence and switchology depending on the block/TO of the plane they were flying. What would start ignition on one plane would dispense chaff/flares on another - NOT something helpful if you are trying to restart an engine in flight.

28 minutes ago, bdt13 said:

Pilot needed to learn the proper engine start/restart sequence and switchology depending on the block/TO of the plane they were flying.

That's a simple fact of life with flying: upgrades happen.  That's what all that training and the sims are for.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
On 8/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, bdt13 said:

Steve-

Thanks for the reply. I take it from your user name you have some hands-on experience with the type. Can you say when these aircraft would have been refit, and if there was a particular name (e.g., F-16 upgrades had names like "Falcon Up") for this program? Were all production aircraft covered, or only some? There would have been a long service life between when they were built and when they were retired; I'm curious to see if this improvement was made during that time, and if so, how widespread it was..

Sorry for the late reply, it seems Finn has helped you out.

Steve