1/72 B-36 size kit ..displaying?

alright guys, I so want a B36,and just cannot find the 1/144 scale one, so I'm left with considering the 1/72 kit.  My problem is, I do NOT have a case big enough to display it in...nor would I ever hang a model from the ceiling... I'm sure there are some who've built this beast and have it displayed in a good protected manner ? maybe? Can I see some ideas perhaps who have conquered that dilemma? 

1 hour ago, panzercreations said:

always gotta be a  smartass in the crowd 

Thank you, thank you...  be sure to order the veal.

On a serious note, if you buy a kit of that size, you're really committing to also buying a new piece of furniture to display it.  That's the main reason I do not build in other than 1/72 scale and restrict what I buy in that scale.

Regards,

Murph

A couple of thoughts.

Keep an eye on eBay. The 1/144 kit comes up from time to time in the $45 price range.

You could build the model without one wing. That would allow you more easily fit it into a display case. Maybe.

At the end of the day though, the sheer size of the model prevents me from buying one, as much as I like the B-36. Ditto for other large bombers. Maybe when I’m retired and I’m in my “forever house" and can allocate permanent space to a few large models.

Steven Brown

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 1:08 PM, panzercreations said:

alright guys, I so want a B36,and just cannot find the 1/144 scale one, so I'm left with considering the 1/72 kit.  My problem is, I do NOT have a case big enough to display it in...nor would I ever hang a model from the ceiling... I'm sure there are some who've built this beast and have it displayed in a good protected manner ? maybe? Can I see some ideas perhaps who have conquered that dilemma? 

I've got a spare Minicraft B-36B if you're interested.  PM me at tomglowacki36@gmail.com

On 8/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, panzercreations said:

always gotta be a  smartass in the crowd 

If you don't want to hang it from the ceiling or hang it on a wall, you could always place it on a floor.

While the 1/72 B-36 (or the B-52 for that matter) won't fit inside most display cases, it will fit on top of most cases, as long as the footprint of the landing gear doesn't exceed the measurements of the top of the case. That's what I do with my biggies. Of course, you'd have to be vigilant about dusting and cleaning.

Another way is to treat it like we used to have to do with hi-end turntables.

Make a plexiglass box-cover, and set the model, cover and base on some large flat surface.

I made a smaller version of that "box" for my latest finished models. Each time I finish a new one, it goes into that box for a while, when I finish another, the now "old" model goes into the display cases and the new one takes its place in the box.

For a B-36 or B-52, that box would cover some ground, but, it can be moved around from place to place in the house. At least it could go on some sort of short piece of furniture, designed just to hold it.

The largest model in my collection is a 1/72 P-2, so this might not work for something that large.

Maybe take Paul's idea of "up top", and combine it with a Plexi box, that way you'd only have to dust the outside of the box?

Edit, it would take up some of your shelf space, but you could also take out a shelf and display the B-36 on a slanted shelf, securely attaching the model to the shelf.

Edited by Rex

No matter what you do, a 1/72 B-36 is going to take up some serious real estate. The easiest methods don't interest you (ceiling or wall hanging, or situating it on top of an existing cabinet like Paul suggested). If you want it under/behind glass then perhaps a custom built corner cabinet with tracks for adjustable shelves would work. It would also give you a lot of cabinet space for your other completed builds/future builds. Cost is relative to the materials you choose and whether you can do the work yourself or need to contract a handyman. You would still need a room with sufficient space, but at least a cabinet would be quite serviceable. Lets face it, a cabinet that can house a 1/72 B-36 can house pretty much any other 1/72 aircraft (i.e. B-52's, B-1's, B-29's etc) and a goodly portion of 1/48 and even 1/32 aircraft (aircraft type dependent of course).  So you could build up a rather nice collection of heavies and have a suitable protective home for them. A coffee table type idea is o.k too but keep in mind that it would be an odd shape and size to completely contain the model.

Good luck!

Regards,

Don