alright ladies and gents!

I snagged eduards newly tooled G6 and not entirely sure if i want to model a G-6 or G-14. I know there are parts in this kit to build it as a G-14. My question is, what exact parts in this kit are used for the G-14? 

I em by know means a 109 expert. 

thanks! 

The G-14 was an attempt to rationalize all the small changes that had occurred during the (long) Bf 109G-6 production, and the short answer to your dilemma is, the external differences between G-6 and G-14 just aren't there.  The only way to know, for sure, that one is looking at a G-14 is to know the Werknummer.  The first G-14s appeared on the Invasion Front in the summer of 1944, but not as a distinct  series -- they were inserted into G-6 production, and produced by Messerschmitt Regensburg, Erla, and WNF.  The exact number produced will likely never be confirmed, Prien estimates it may have been around 5,500.

Some, such as the 781000 batch had the early (small) fin/rudder, short tailwheel.  The majority were fitted with the later 'Erla' canopy, short aerial mast, 'Morane' antenna for the FuG 16ZY beneath the left wing.  Equally common was the larger (tall) fin/rudder 9often with two fixed trim tabs in addition to the Flettner tab.  These were wood/fabric, costing 20% less to manufacture.

The G-14/AS had the larger fuselage bulges covering the fuselage MG131s, a deeper oil cooler beneath the cowl, but these, too, were inserted into G-6/AS production, not a continuous series.  About 1,000 of these were delivered.

A taller tailwheel strut had first appeared on the last G-6 models.  Many G-14s built by WNF had their engine-mounted MG151/20 replaced by a (30mm) MK108, designating these G-14/U4.  The use of the underwing MG151/20 'gondolas' was rare on the G-14.

So, this likely causes as much head-scratching as clarification, but that's the nature of these late-war 109s.  Perhaps if you have a particular bird in mind, I can shed a bit more light.

Good luck with your build, everyone says that eduard's re-done 109G-6 is a fine one,

GRM

Well, that one "won't fly" if you're using the eduard kit.  Wienhusen's fatal machine* was a Bf109G-10, WNr.130282.  This one has a (very) different cowl: instead of the round 'Beule' (bumps) covering the cowl MG131s, the G-10 and K-4 (and earlier, the /AS-engined G-6 & G-14) had larger, longer 'streamlined' bulges -- which also featured some variation depending on the factory.

Good luck with deciding on 'Plan B,'

GRM

* Wienhusen had flown with the JG 77 and JG 5 early in the war, leading the IV/JG 4 from Oct. 1944.  He was KIA 3.Dec. 1944, shot-down in flames by Flak during a low-level close-support mission near Aachen.  He was buried, unidentified, in Düren, for fifty years, he was eventually identified and buried at Vossenack.

I thought the one difference between the -14 and -6 was that the later version had the protruding battery cover in the cockpit aft bulkhead.    So many weird mix and match Gustavs out there.  

If you are interested, check out this site for some really unique profiles.

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.se/search/label/Bf109G-6

I built the Revel kit up into "Yellow 5".   The cost of all the different paints (late war colors with one wing in the 74/75 scheme) was probably more than what I paid for the kit!  I love 109's. 

14 hours ago, G.R.Morrison said:

Well, that one "won't fly" if you're using the eduard kit.  Wienhusen's fatal machine* was a Bf109G-10, WNr.130282.  This one has a (very) different cowl: instead of the round 'Beule' (bumps) covering the cowl MG131s, the G-10 and K-4 (and earlier, the /AS-engined G-6 & G-14) had larger, longer 'streamlined' bulges -- which also featured some variation depending on the factory.

Good luck with deciding on 'Plan B,'

GRM

* Wienhusen had flown with the JG 77 and JG 5 early in the war, leading the IV/JG 4 from Oct. 1944.  He was KIA 3.Dec. 1944, shot-down in flames by Flak during a low-level close-support mission near Aachen.  He was buried, unidentified, in Düren, for fifty years, he was eventually identified and buried at Vossenack.

thanks for the info sir! that serial # made my research a bit more easier. again, im no expert and i know some can look at a photo and tell exactly what model it is. im finding mixed info as to say it was G-10 then some saying it was an erla built G-14. it was mentioned he flew a G-10 with the same markings. what gets me confused is that the G-10 didn't have the gun bulges on the cowling or em i missing something? 

this is the sheet that caught my attention. it may give you some insight at what sparked my interest.

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BC48231

Edited by randypandy831

1) You're certainly welcome, happy to help when I can.

2) My comments were based on a photo of Wienhusen's last machine, no surprise he flew a similarly-marked one earlier.  During this period the Luftwaffe had ordered the Stab units of their fighter Gruppen in the West to curtail the use of chevrons ('Winkeln') in lieu of numbers in the 20s.

3) Note the source that Barracuda used, Anders Hjortsberg.  He is a thorough researcher and meticulous artist.  I appreciate his work because he has corrected his own previous color plates when new or different data emerges.  If you do not know his site, check it out!

4) The "lotsa spots" fuselage camo indicates this one was built by Erla.  These is solid evidence that during 1943 at least, some of the spots applied were the 'desert color,' RLM 79, but I don't know if anyone is certain this was continued on later-built machines.  Erla was also unique in continuing to apply the black trim to the underwing crosses after all the others had stopped doing this as a time-saving measure.  Back in Oct. 2013 Anders produced 'factory drawings' of three camo patterns of the main manufacturers of the 109G-6, Mtt. Regensburg, Erla, and WNF, that a modeler can use as a template if one knows which factory built their subject-choice.  Here's a link that (should) include his Oct 2013 templates and his commentary on your Wienhusen subject:

http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.com/search?q=Erla

Hope this helps / clarifies,

GRM