170814-F-SZ127-0771.jpg

The picture was taken during the latest red flag Alaska.  Looks like with the new AESA radar upgrade (APG-82) that the strike eagles got a new radome was applied (notice the dielectric strips) and also it appears they got some new wheel hubs too on the mains.  

Edited by achterkirch
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 11:47 PM, Finn said:

Here is one in action late last year:

161205-F-CO490-253.JPG

Jari

How did I miss this thread?  So the new radome is part of the improved APG-82? This photo is very interesting. Is this aircraft carrying two (2) AMRAAM on a center pylon? I would assume we could add the strips to a radome to produce similar appearance.

9 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

How did I miss this thread?  So the new radome is part of the improved APG-82? This photo is very interesting. Is this aircraft carrying two (2) AMRAAM on a center pylon? I would assume we could add the strips to a radome to produce similar appearance.

Yup the Radom is part of new radar upgrade.  What you see in the picture is Small diameter bomb (GBU-39) with its associated pylon.  

1 hour ago, achterkirch said:

Yup the Radom is part of new radar upgrade.  What you see in the picture is Small diameter bomb (GBU-39) with its associated pylon.  

Ok, thanks that makes sense. I have a Tamiya Bunker Buster in "partially finished purgatory" on the shelf.  Maybe you could direct me to an up to date reference point for changes?

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Was there an issue with the AESA RADAR that requires the lightning arrestors? The Su-35 has them on the radome as well.

Lots of airplanes have those.  Not an issue per say, but you want to protect that equipment.  They way electrical currents flow on the 15 during lightning strikes usually resulted in a damaged radome.

Although costly, they really should consider starting up another run of the F-22. Gates made a huge error (IMHO) by ordering so few in favor of the F-35. Design an integrated IRST into the new lot and additional data sharing. Double or triple the number of available Aircraft. But, hey I'm just an average Joe, not a Pentagon planner or even Batman....I don't know the inside decision making.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, BoeingDriver said:

I believe those purposed upgrades are dead in the water.

Bummer. Really awesome concept. Boeing seems to have a lot of modernization/upgrade options available for legacy aircraft like the F-15s, F-18s, etc. Wonder why we don't make use of more of them? 

4 hours ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Bummer. Really awesome concept. Boeing seems to have a lot of modernization/upgrade options available for legacy aircraft like the F-15s, F-18s, etc. Wonder why we don't make use of more of them? 

For the 15, if the AF decided to buy more jets, they couldn't justify their purchase of more 35's.  F-15's now a days, the "SA" is a fly by wire aircraft that's just as, if not more, capable as the current AF Strike Eagle.  The Navy has exercised options to buy newer Super Bugs that have CFT's and flat panel displays.

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, achterkirch said:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/208033/M/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-15E-Strike-Eagle/87-0175/

Looks like they got another upgrade. 

4th FW strike eagles with AIM-9X. 

My name used to be on the side of that jet.  It was a pretty good flyer!