Lost a National Treasure.

Some may remember but a good friend of mine's grandfather is a survivor of the USS Indianapolis disaster. Tragically he passed away early this morning. I'm not certain how many Indy survivors there are but there can't be that many left. I feel for his family and I'm honored to have known of him. I never actually met him but have been good friends with his grandson and have held his great granddaughter who shares his name. 

Albert Oliver Morris. 

A great American hero. 

My sympathies to his family and friends.  I met a vet at Denny's this morning. Didn't talk long but he was in the Signal Corps working for MacArthur in New Guinea and The Phillipines. He expressed displeasure at our Gulf Coast heat wave because it reminded him of the SWPA.

I believe there is one of the survivors here in Amarillo.  I remember seeing an article in the

newspaper about him around the time of the last anniversary of the Indianapolis sinking.

Jerry 

The INDIANAPOLIS survivors suffered a horrible experience. A friend of my father's was a survivor. Like many of his generation, he was very private about the experience. My first inkling of what happened was Larry's extreme aversion to any and all seafood. The thought of it, let alone the sight of it, actually made him physically ill. He never did speak about the event. He passed in the 90s.