All those B-29s' on the bottom of the Pacific.

So I was going through one of my B-29 books that I have and started thinking about something. I have seen many photos where the plane landed successfully on the water after various battle damage. It floated long enough for the crew to get out and in many cases floated for a very long time. Many man made objects seem to last for a long time on the bottom of the ocean I guess because of the cold water and lack of oxygen. Do you think at least some of these planes would still be in good (relatively)shape? Also, have you seen any information of any B-29 found by under water explorers that search for other things at the bottom of the sea?

Steve

There's some areas of the Pacific well over 20, 000 feet deep, an aircraft going deep would probably crush itself from the impact.  I heard there's a B-29 in the lake at the Hoover Dam, I thik it was.  It's supposed to be in pretty good shape and was part of a research project of some type.

1 hour ago, ikar said:

...I heard there's a B-29 in the lake at the Hoover Dam, I thik it was.  It's supposed to be in pretty good shape and was part of a research project of some type.

Perhaps its this one in Lake Meade?:

https://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=099A4644-E857-C29D-D2DF61EF28E65B7A

09E390C1-F69F-4AA2-462D7BECEBF05743-larg

Regards,

Don

Something only gets crushed by depth if it's closed and airtight. While the crew compartments of a B-29 we're pressurized in flight, I would think they were open and depressurized in the event of a water landing.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Jonathan_Lotton said:

They can't even find the Indianapolis..

Jonathan,

I have a list of kits I'd like to see produced, think you could help with that?  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Murph