1/48 F-20A Freedom Model Kit

Ok

So I am going to try and post this build here.  I don't know how frequent the updates will be.  This is going to be the 3rd prototype (not sure which finish yet) and will be canopy down

So as far as the kit it seems generally nice detail and the plastic seems easy to work with so far 

Started with the cockpit.  Not very much detail on the sides (but i don't think there was much to start with).  The raised detail is nice but i used the decals.  With Microsol and Microset (i did 3 applications) they went down well I am leaving the seat and the clear piece for the HUD glass off for now

LZS7gVh3mf9lFmeUV5dPeWD3oQNT_Uea5bkMwvin

Seat is basic as well but passable for a canopy down build (for me).  I need to add belts

AlYUFqMPSyxlj_5Fga3-ZqoO4D45bxPaLlWFlSwh

JLsMLliXwZkOKIWpq5ds9MW0kWyBqNPVMS26m6u1

Fit of the front fuselage is pretty good.  I knocked down the alignment pins a bit and had to sand the cockpit sides (about 20 swipes with a fine sanding stick each side) and got this.  Some minor cleanup.  Note i was able to glue it from the inside for the most part 

00Z5NBHWDB3IvLRGPXisoAmMOQqeT8Akm-ZwYIFs

8wroaa8seQropBSCES1GsZmwK6i12t_DcwdzG4vv

The area in front of the IP gets another piece.  Has to sand it a little go get the HUD to fit in the notch for it.  Also a test fit for the nose piece with the guns and the random shown no major issues

bWPCxmzRFcjAwM63dVm2OGmx7_Kd7wIaup61czla

su-9IkcUwhwqS3-Q5V1uRDspK0WzW7MGHEAntrEOjEECT1ZfhC-0OhWoL_AXT9EYXdYqA5t3tTaZvamfvXsb5k8dDe69zfgKUF0ipzigmYXQQp-VLSR7b4EAo1KDMvjFcTAvvgB1Yy3whzoWYPhk6g4E03OZB3sFRGV_F7SeXnMlYnnSTzV88ESx0Nkr6bkMC_E_n6vqy15IJczzgPQzuspi1bwz_I7Wsr9ku6ffCS50Aii3wXb0rqFPOpqibvJm-TA5PUkybVBnQUFg40hrqZHO_R-943KJBDd_JWXEBPxu-jPraHmnSXvg4y6FE9PSZ6VgGZRE-kOUhCgLTjVXr0PgNNCdZ7Y48mXnyKGRKvgPNXXjw6_E1-zhPuAokE83auxh9DQHaaZ4Bk-PqSl204Kk5bx0lsI-QDtFjVt0aAKEUDfiJJeDI8wAlVeTC_DxUy834Qt7CMW6VULPl4NJDALaa2Q01wAaP02iJq8JA0_Xsh_4xTJprCRXy-QGJMyAaYuPZN19iRGeu8t5y3_8XX91bQ2evMQg_oUPRcXgNrTZlmLv2-z5RUSjEdYOQTA79KgAVZiLnEy4nxF-8JW1afrdpst0JZWk-yH8OFRdb8VGgneT1LX9jfh9tdL6DaqYiK8h4g5-DLz3c6WxhIYKr72kgdEsLr5XUxKL3XTm-m8aPQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

That is it for now it for now 

Robert

Edited by Robert S
photo correction

ok so had a few mins while the floor was drying (its cleaning day here) and got the nose on (and the RWR).  The RWR have 2 holes that need to be drilled (best before you put the 2 sides together) and they are different sizes (noted in the instructions).  The instructions are a little weird in that it says optional and gives you 2 part # and to do the same on the other side.  The optional part is adding the antennas.  The parts are the same for each side.  There are not 2 sets of parts just one so whichever one you dont use on one side is used for the other

bWPCxmzRFcjAwM63dVm2OGmx7_Kd7wIaup61czla

Now the cover with the guns.  Careful test fitting is required. I sanded both the top and bottom 

5FF54d88I75U6FBkaBIg0CA1n7HVE-S8Dm5TPYAp

also for this section i shaves some of the attachment point in front of the cockpit as it seemed that there was too much material for the lip on the part.  Be careful though this is one of the main attachment points (and there are only 2 top and bottom).  I thought about adding a strip of plastic but there is a curve and it would not have helped 

jHQjnAPw5Il0ihLJJuu1FBYTBo8VGfZ70BIxd9Ro

And now completely done.  It is not bad.  A little Valajio putty or Mr Surfacer should deal with the small issue

erZLrIZjkdN105fbvh2fKVNpE3G7-EW6hR6KZvoOM5pEPwti35zIja3bwISrNt7FZWigisoUoUvoK5zfHVrGXB4eNno-A1EVKq0kCWt-594iHpgTJ2sVwy9xJ-rYf54QaKmZqnnh5Q=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

RXDhOYzySV_I1XpOseBpaWn9RORXhDyWFV5i1GBEtvfyDEjl46pQTHTZAkJhStomTxz1kK3DhWuTXlr4mSvr1xkUk-KSL3kR_xwHycGWuoC75Kwc2FqECH7g3YT73Z4049vCVlczio9MQpB-AdVRJ2RQ8WRYFn6nTY-qYRrkbi8xSVGS6s7-H4NbPkQ299dU0e8sd-PWO0TKQ-BovyMWg7SzpfFxLIqsP4QKZJBSFP6siDKfw5uDZRUQ08_HGN-W9K3jrZu-fuCo_dBpkKjyRc9YNRKyiy8eDH716OwbUQM9rv3cJNBX8yB7ssdrfJseKe6cBfqFOcNY8TcuPfy_Rh0N6zJGID5y1USLLlNUp5WTGtW7HoSPTjsibr8WVszAWbb799dP4T81beiX44A8s8USjrnidmzjMb7Hp4_mubvVLrsWcbSGXAbzOfLcB4XNVzOkluHlY39GdjzcEDC8C00UvixtmVppqL-b5VO79hR2Y-J5XRVm5d-UILlbbWnxGZbiCPEZvFRRlUr52lRjcDhcZr0-1oXKPQoEXvVCCci-i3aSMkWt0arGhZwow0OOzT4XrDxfDYFNKaxKrvqJvRdet9HY1CpeVhhwOdTX0deu_N6yOYJ9DQKcdtBhV2Q9duoLhUcszla3P2SmneIy5D68xYlbFxexnErbkfKYXTqi0A=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Overall pleased with the fit so far

Thanks for looking.  More to come 

Edited by Robert S

Works fine for me for the last 3 hours. Have you tried reloading the forum page?

Edit: I should not have clicked on the browser's refresh button after I typed the last sentence. Now they are gone here, too.

Edited by Lancer512

Ok on to the next part.  These photos are on the new hosting site

Next up in the inner walls of the intakes.  These attached to the bottom of the fuselage are 2 pieces and have some optional photo etch

IMG_0528-vi.jpg

IMG_0526-vi.jpg

IMG_0527-vi.jpg

Here is the PE removed form the fret and installed 

IMG_0529-vi.jpg

IMG_0531-vi.jpg

IMG_0530-vi.jpg

More work in the next post 

Ok this is adding the intake walls and wing halves

Some views after it is all together.  

IMG_0532-vi.jpg

IMG_0539-vi.jpg

IMG_0538-vi.jpg

There are pre done holes for the center line and the option to open up the holes for the 2 pylons on each wing.  I opened them all but may not uses them.  All of these holes have poly caps in them.  I had one fall out.  As usual i knocked down the locator pins.

IMG_0534-vi.jpg

IMG_0533-vi.jpg

IMG_0535-vi.jpg

Wings on Top and Bottom.  Control surfaces are separate pieces 

IMG_0536-vi.jpg

IMG_0537-vi.jpg

The intakes just end in blanks.  I may do something about that.  Not sure yet

Next is the fuselage but may take a little time.  I decided to order a resin nozzle and engine details (https://www.redstarscalemodels.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=K48085) This is a new to me company and they have some nice items so I wanted to try this one over the Wolfpack one.  The engine detail gets installed inside of the fuselage before gluing it in (can't just slip it in)