1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

1 hour ago, haneto said:

But definitely no Su-33 or Su-34.

Sorry not a big fan of those canard ver. Flanker which ruined the elegance outline of the beauty IMHO.

Ah no haneto,  no canard !! It is really pity, nevertheless we like the "foie gras de canard", to return to the subject I fully trust GWH, they demonstrate with the previous kits, it's the top of the top.

2 hours ago, ching kuo said:

Ah no haneto,  no canard !! It is really pity, nevertheless we like the "foie gras de canard", to return to the subject I fully trust GWH, they demonstrate with the previous kits, it's the top of the top.

What are you guys talking about? Of course we need Canard versions.

We are saying the canard versions ruined the aesthetics of the original Flanker form.  As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

On a separate note, I've been watching RT videos of Su-35's operating in Syria.  I hope the kit comes with the general purpose bombs and racks as used in actual combat ops.  It seems weird to me, but the Su-35's carried a bomb on the centerline pylon and under the left intake- that's it for bombs- as well as 6 AAMs (looks like 2x AA-11, 2x AA-10B, and 2x AA-12).  I guess they figured insurance was necessary since the skies are a little crowded over there.   Cool loudout for sure!  I definitely see Bort 4 in my modeling future.  

Well before pretty or ugly, the main issue is those canard Flanker users are extremely limited and that resulted in quite few painting schemes which will limit the kit sale volume.

Those most exported variants will be most prioritized for kitting.

53 minutes ago, haneto said:

Well before pretty or ugly, the main issue is those canard Flanker users are extremely limited and that resulted in quite few painting schemes which will limit the kit sale volume.

Those most exported variants will be most prioritized for kitting.

Limited? There are literally around 500 Su-30MKI/MKA/MKM/SM frames flying around the world in 5 countries (soon to be 6). By any stretch by modern standards that is a lot. + Almost 100 Su-34's in RuAF - which is more than there are Su-35S' around if we are talking about numbers.

1 minute ago, Berkut said:

Limited? There are literally around 500 Su-30MKI/MKA/MKM/SM frames flying around the world in 5 countries (soon to be 6). By any stretch by modern standards that is a lot. + Almost 100 Su-34's in RuAF - which is more than there are Su-35S' around if we are talking about numbers.

He talks about Su-33 and Su-34.

And he's right, how many painting schemes for them?

1 for the Su-33.

2 for Su-34.

In fact, this is the major hurdle of the Flankers, in a manufacturer point of view.

Too many variants with not enough painting schemes.

1 hour ago, Berkut said:

Nice, that is a lot. I like the Canard versions as well, to me they add "more" to the lines of the jet and make it as interesting if not more so. I understand the purpose of removing them from the final Su-35 designs, but I would love to see a complete line of Flanker Kits from the modeling world....in 1/48th or 1/32 scale.  Check this link:  https://translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ftieba.baidu.com%2Fp%2F5278449874%3Fpn%3D1

Not a Canard jet but first I have seen of the Su-35S, and my apologies if this has been posted before.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Additional Info
1 hour ago, shion said:

1 for the Su-33.

2 for Su-34.

In fact, this is the major hurdle of the Flankers, in a manufacturer point of view.

Understood, but it's  not like we have many schemes available for the F-15, F-35, Super Bug & F-22. Foreign F-16's show some variation, and I'm sure we'll see more Flanker schemes once the Su-34 is exported....which they would be be foolish not to do. The Su-33 has had changes since it's beginning, although I like the latest the best.

39 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

The Su-33 has had changes since it's beginning, although I like the latest the best.

I suppose you wanted to say Su-35?

The Su-35S as it stands today has very elegant clean lines, the closest we can get to the original Su-27 as possible!

Best regards

Gabor

1 minute ago, ya-gabor said:

I suppose you wanted to say Su-35?

The Su-35S as it stands today has very elegant clean lines, the closest we can get to the original Su-27 as possible!

Best regards

Gabor

Nope. I was referring to the paint job on the 33.

19 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Nope. I was referring to the paint job on the 33.

OK, it is clear this way. :)))

I was reffering to the airframe and not the paint scheme. Not much was changed on the 33 apart from the cockpit and a fascinating internal ladder on one aircraft ( similar to the one on the F-18). As far as I could see they still used the tradigional ladder for it in service. 

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Understood, but it's  not like we have many schemes available for the F-15, F-35, Super Bug & F-22. Foreign F-16's show some variation, and I'm sure we'll see more Flanker schemes once the Su-34 is exported....which they would be be foolish not to do. The Su-33 has had changes since it's beginning, although I like the latest the best.

It's obvious that he talks about paint schemes AND decorations.

How many people will buy a Su-33 kit in 1/48 scale for 100$? 

How many people will buy several Su-33 kit in 1/48 scale for 100$, single variation being bort number?

Same thing for a lot of flankers versions.

4 hours ago, shion said:

1 for the Su-33.

2 for Su-34.

I know he mentioned Su-33 and Su-34 in specific earlier but MKI family has canards too so they fall under "canard Flanker".

Su-33 has had atleast two schemes in Russian navy and if we are talking about Su-33 we might as well be including J-15. That is atleast two more schemes right there. So 4 total in 2 different Navies. Su-35S is currently operational in 2 Air Forces and if we ignore prototypes then there are basically two schemes. (camo between Russian and Chinese Su-35S are the same, just different markings) So markings wise Su-33/34/35S are the same in terms of variation and choice. It is not a strong argument by itself for Su-35S because it is basically equal for 33/34.

I honestly dont understand why everyone and their mothers are chasing after Su-33. MKI family would be ridiculously more obvious choice. There are 10x fold more of them flying world wide in more than twice the number of different schemes. But whatever, i guess we atleast can complain about having a choice... Obviously lack of painting schemes is not really a consideration for manufacturers, that is proven time after time. Otherwise we would be swimming in MKI or just plain vanilla Su-27 kits, but we dont.

Just the opposite for me: No canards and double seater brings the best out of the Flanker. That cobra-neck look around the back seater is super attractive. The canards spoil that look. Nobody did a proper Su-27UB so I had to settle with the HB Su-30 MKK which I am working on right now. However, I have to admit, the fit of the HB kit is truly amazing! It is a really nicely done kit. 

Ok, back to the topic...

Berkut has it right: "But whatever, i guess we at least can complain about having a choice... "

As far as cost is concerned...$100 for a 1/48th Kit of any type is high, but not enough to make me switch scale (heck even the 1/72 kits are pushing $70 now). I can get a Kinetic Su-33 for well under $100 and I predict the GWH Su-35S will be found for the same price or close.

Kinetic bought the molds from Aviation Art and their price tag is quite fair considering the size and overall quality of the kit (not to say it is perfect or without issues) I dont remember exactly what the planned MSRP was from AA but it was higher than the Kinetic's 55USD.

GWH Su-35S is bound to be pricier than AA/Kinetic Su-33, anything under 80USD will be a nice surprise.

10 hours ago, Berkut said:

Kinetic bought the molds from Aviation Art and their price tag is quite fair considering the size and overall quality of the kit (not to say it is perfect or without issues) I dont remember exactly what the planned MSRP was from AA but it was higher than the Kinetic's 55USD.

GWH Su-35S is bound to be pricier than AA/Kinetic Su-33, anything under 80USD will be a nice surprise.

Given the prices of the much smaller MiG-29 kit, that would really be a nice surprise.

I have to agree that it's rather puzzling that there's still no model of the Su-30MKI family (given how there never was one except for the SOL conversion for the now obsolete Academy kit).

Edited by ijozic

Given that only India airforce uses the MKI, it may not be a popular subject in the domestic market of so many Chinese manufacturers...thus never made it, although I think it will do well in overseas market...Also to GWH, pls consider new tool for the 1:48 Su-25 .

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Given that only India airforce uses the MKI, it may not be a popular subject in the domestic market of so many Chinese manufacturers...thus never made it, although I think it will do well in overseas market...Also to GWH, pls consider new tool for the 1:48 Su-25 .

I think the reference is actually to all the carnard equipped Su-30 variants including the MKI, MKM, MKA and SM.

Mark

3 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

I will repeat; There is also MKA, MKM and SM(E). Which are all basically the same plane. Differences between MKI/MKA/SM(E) are bare minimal, only MKM larger extra bits and pieces and even those are minimal and easily designed and tooled. There are over 500 flying around the world in those modifications, between 5 airforces.