1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

Saw them off, fill the resultant holes, make new ones from shaped plastic card, fit them in place on the top of the tail stinger and - viola! - problem solved.

It's called Modelling - an ancient art that now seems to have been lost.

If you were careful enough you could probably saw the flare boxes off and preserve their shape and fit them to the top surface without having to make new ones?

I'm just thinking out loud here - I have no idea if it is do-able, but it doesn't look to difficult.

Just my 3 penn'orth...

Ken

1 hour ago, galfa said:

So far - and I stress so far - one of best 1:48 jet kit ever.

That is a bit of an over statement. It hasn't made it into our hands and already the "best". I'm sure the Tamiya F-14 builders would take exception to that.

10 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

That is a bit of an over statement. It hasn't made it into our hands and already the "best". I'm sure the Tamiya F-14 builders would take exception to that.

Well, well, well... please read again my post.

I wrote "one" of the best models ever released not "the best" model. In addition, I have pointed out "so far", based on what is visible in these photos.

This new kit "looks" better looking than any other 1:48 Su-35.

Please read but read carefully...

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Saw them off, fill the resultant holes, make new ones from shaped plastic card, fit them in place on the top of the tail stinger and - viola! - problem solved.

If you were careful enough you could probably saw the flare boxes off and preserve their shape and fit them to the top surface without having to make new ones?

I'm just thinking out loud here - I have no idea if it is do-able, but it doesn't look to difficult.

Just my 3 penn'orth...

Ken

Word. 

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Just my 3 penn'orth...

Ken

I'm sure the aftermarket companies will make new flare box's, making it a little bit easier to modify. Personally I like to make a gray version myself, although I know there are more differences than that between the variance, I'll have to do my research.

3 hours ago, galfa said:

Well, well, well... please read again my post.

I wrote "one" of the best models ever released not "the best" model. In addition, I have pointed out "so far", based on what is visible in these photos.

This new kit "looks" better looking than any other 1:48 Su-35.

Please read but read carefully...

I did read it carefully. Now read my response again...it is NOT AVAILABLE yet. You're basing it on photos. But hey, whatever, add to the hyperbole.

Sorry to drop in on your conversation. :D  :D  

I can only add what I always say: lets have the kit in hands and make a judgement then!

Till then wanted to share another image of the fuselage. Here is the top of the airframe.

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 5 S.jpg

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I can only add what I always say: lets have the kit in hands and make a judgement then!

Till then wanted to share another image of the fuselage. Here is the top of the airframe.

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 5 S.jpg

WORD!

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 5 S.jpg

Yap! 

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

Both with KH and GWH one is railroaded into making particular frames.

Exactly!!!  It was the intention in designing G.W.H Su-35S kit representing the version of the aircraft which is currently in service. It is in service with Russian AF in ever increasing numbers, with the Chinese AF as well as in the near future with other countries. All of them to the standard represented by the G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Versus what? :

All in all there were about a dozen “Grey” airframes, some call them pre-production examples of the type which had the flare units on the top of the stinger tail. Even most of them by now have the units relocated to the underside. From the manufacturers point of view there is absolutely no point in complicating the design, increasing production cost and parts numbers for the sake of a handful of early and experimental airframes!

Anyone wishing to make the early version can do it with either:

-  some traditional modelling skills as suggested by Ken the Flankerman,

-  use some aftermarket products (which I am sure will turn up with time) 

-  or build another companies product.

There is a free choice for everyone.

It was the right and wise decision to do the G.W.H Su-35S kit as the current operational configuration with its  modifications.

Best regards

Gabor

Some detail photos by my friend Mr. Kenji Yanai at Tokyo Hobby Show last weekend.

You will find finely molded raised rivets in wheel bays, gear covers inner surface, etc. just like what on real aircrafts.

Pls ignore the decals since all are under designing and not finished.

a8ee093eaf84d713.jpg

8a8026e284d52758.jpg

893b5007d56b1774.jpg

995a03fc5002bbd8.jpg

0698b050df62bd8c.jpg

3cd00da68d423f3e.jpg

a5a02d7f4771dcff.jpg

Edited by haneto
Typo
1 hour ago, haneto said:

Some detail photos by my friend Mr. Kenji Yanai at Tokyo Hobby Show last weekend.

You will find finely molded raised rivets in wheel bays, gear covers inner surface, etc. just like what on real aircrafts.

Pls ignore the decals since all are under designing and not finished.

a8ee093eaf84d713.jpg

8a8026e284d52758.jpg

893b5007d56b1774.jpg

995a03fc5002bbd8.jpg

0698b050df62bd8c.jpg

3cd00da68d423f3e.jpg

a5a02d7f4771dcff.jpg

Wow! the main camo colors look accurate enough! May I know what paint that the builder use for this build? 

19 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Versus what? :

Here is a crazy idea - give us more choices. The extra costs GWH would have to have 2 extra parts would be abysmal.

Just because you dont care for the 901/902/904 prototype frames of the early production examples or those in aubergine (or atleast, claim to do), doesn't mean everyone else doesnt. Giving a choice to the modelbuilders wouldn't hurt their bottom line in any way whatsoever. If anything it could help sell extra kits.

Edited by Berkut
Just now, Berkut said:

Here is a crazy idea - give us more choices. The extra costs GWH would have to have 2 extra parts would be abysmal.

Just because you dont care for the 901/902/904 prototype frames of the early production examples or those in aubergine, doesn't mean everyone else doesnt. Giving a choice to the modelbuilders wouldn't hurt their bottom line in any way whatsoever. If anything it could help sell extra kits.

:thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, Berkut said:

Just because you dont care for the 901/902/904 prototype frames of the early production examples or those in aubergine (or atleast, claim to do), doesn't mean everyone else doesnt. Giving a choice to the modelbuilders wouldn't hurt their bottom line in any way whatsoever. If anything it could help sell extra kits.

Or maybe they'll release another kit as an "early" SU-35. They're in it to make money, and if they can get more money out of a basic kit, why not?

Tamiya could easily have produced a single kit to do everything from a Block 30 through a 52, but they were able to get four kits out of it..and more money. 

Why should GWH be any different?

The new G.W.H kit represents the production standard Su-35S version of the latest generation Flankers. There are other kits on the market which cater for earlier versions. Fortunately there is a free choice for everyone when purchasing a Su-35 kit.

There is a choice!

If one wants to build the prototype or preproduction Grey versions from the G.W.H kit then he can still do what I have recommended yesterday. The choice is yours! Have to add that there is not much point in repeating again and again how one can do this.

As Ken has said:

"It's called Modelling - an ancient art that now seems to have been lost."

I remember a recent kit where each kit box was dedicated to one and only that one particular version of the aircraft. I searched hard but could not find few extra parts which would have allowed me to build the prototype, the preproduction version or early series versions.  It would have been pointless to include all version specific parts! The given kit was representing one particular aircraft, after all I wanted to buy that specific version!

One more thing: if one wants to build the prototypes (which did have a really nice camo by the way) and want to have an authentic scale representation then it is not just the flare units, also a new cockpit, a different ejection seat, antennas, APU unit . . .  There are some manufacturers who throw in 2-3 extra parts and think that from there on every version can be made from it. Well it will “look something like” but it will not be a scale representation of the original!

I would not vote for this!!!

There are several options provided in the G.W.H Su-35S kit which are missing from other products, we will show them in detail soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
48 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Or maybe they'll release another kit as an "early" SU-35. They're in it to make money, and if they can get more money out of a basic kit, why not?

Tamiya could easily have produced a single kit to do everything from a Block 30 through a 52, but they were able to get four kits out of it..and more money. 

Why should GWH be any different?

Maybe, but that seems highly unlikely considering the flares are part of the fuselage so they would need to retool the whole thing. Which would be silly when they could have just had the parts separate to begin with. Of course GWH has done similar things with MiG-29 series, but 9.12/9.13/9.19 are very different, and unless i remember wrong (and i might very well be) 9.12 early/late boxings had all the parts for each of the versions?

Edited by Berkut