1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

2 hours ago, kotey said:

I have another one proposition - Gabor will study Chinese and add second type of stencil to decal. (joke)

Hi Kotey,

I am on it!  :D :D :D :D :D

Not sure they used Chinese stencils for the export examples. It could be that after overhaul they will have them.

Best regards

Gabor

Hello all,

I have been very excited about this release from GWH. However, I am very disappointed to see that GWH didn't tint the canopy. It is very clear from pictures that the Su-35's canopy is tinted. It is such an easy thing to do, just mould with tinted plastic, not clear. Similar to what AMK did with their second Mig-31 release. It will just save the modeller the extra effort.

Just my two pennies worth. Maybe there is still a chance they'll do it Ya-gabor?

Victor 

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Kotey,

I am on it!  :D :D :D :D :D

Not sure they used Chinese stencils for the export examples. It could be that after overhaul they will have them.

Best regards

Gabor

I'm shure

20171005_131243.jpg

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Oh sxxt! :D :D :D  Now I will have to do it all over again and translate it all. Which dialect is that Kotey???? :D :D

Gabor

Chinese dialects all use the same written characters. The only thing you have to worry about is complex versus simplified. Hong Kong and Taiwan use complex; PRC and Singapore use simplified.

Jon

2 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Chinese dialects all use the same written characters. The only thing you have to worry about is complex versus simplified. Hong Kong and Taiwan use complex; PRC and Singapore use simplified.

Jon

Hi Jon,

It was a joke on my part in an answer to a joke from Kotey! The Smiles at the end of my question were a clear indication of this! :D

But thanks for the information. It is very interesting!!!  I knew that there are many dialects but did not think seriously that there could be a visible difference in writing / in characters! Fascinating language, a very hard nut to crack, but the same is said of the Hungarian language by foreigners!

I stick to the languages I know. In the summer one by one all the Russian stencils were thoroughly researched by me. I have made a complete list of them with detailed placement map to go with it. Fortunately at the Sukhoy OKB someone decided to drastically reduce the number of stencils in comparison with the standard Su-27’s. Still if G.W.H prepares everything on the decal sheet that I have researched and designed for them, then modellers will have few sleepless nights to do the stencils! 

Sorry guys. I wanted to have everything that is possible in 48th scale. :coolio:

Best regards

Gabor

Unfortunately there is limited information on the double launcher. Only some “scale models” were shown before and first live photos this summer. I don’t know about you, but based on the few photos from front and from behind while the pylon was under the fuselage I would not design something. This is far too little. And please do not confuse the staggered arrangement double launcher for the RVV missile with the double launcher for wing stations. They are different designs!

It was a policy in design not to create fictitious parts based on limited information. For the double launcher there is far too little information available at the moment. We would like to leave FICTION to other manufacturers for whom authenticity is not so important.

There is also a second reason (well there are few others too but this is the most important) the first photos from MAKS with the double launcher came far too late!

Best regards

Gabor

Tottaly agree with you Gabor 😀 i just asked.... it would be great to se it in scale.... if ever would be in real use. 

I know that they have nothing in common with double launchers for unguided rockets 😁

Any info about markings in box? Bort numbers? 😊

3 hours ago, mario krijan said:

Any info about markings in box? Bort numbers? 😊

Hi Mario Krijan,

Yes, it would have been interesting to add the double launcher but then again this would have required increasing the number of missiles included in the kit and LOTS of extra information about the pylon which is not available today!!!

The paint variations are no secret. They were shown last weekend at the Japan show.

There are basically 3 paint schemes but in reality we have four markings. The reason is simple:

Red 06 was serving in Syria in 2016. After its return at the end of last year, and during modifications the aircraft number was changed to Red 24. This is the way it was shown at this years MAKS show. So you have two aircraft in one here. :D 

Red 25 is my favorite with the "Dzemgi Eagle" on its tail. This is the original Hero’s named aircraft inaugurated in August 2016. It has some extras which will be shown later.

Blue 24 received the Hero’s name only by accident last summer at the KnAAPO factory. Then it was still Red 24 but on delivery to its home base at Cenralnaya Uglovaya the number was changed to Blue 24. Actually this summer the blue is starting to show the original red underneath it.

While they all have the standard Blue-grey scheme, as a matter of fact they all differ in the camouflage. Now don’t expect anything great but the pattern of camo colours is painted free hand and the Paint Technology Notes provide a margin of error to the painters. Well in real life each aircraft has an individual colour scheme which differ from each other, some MORE, some LESS.

One common thing is that there is minimal weathering on them. There is some dirt here and there but in general they are still clean. So anyone wanting to do the now so popular extra weathered/over shaded/ almost completely burned look will have to wait few years or do one of the early Dark grey birds in the shape they fly today. Some of them lost most of that grey paint and look really horrible now. And yes you can build a Grey bird from the G.W.H Su-35S kit (the way they are flying in 2017) since they have had (most of them) the flare units replaced to the bottom of the sting tail.   

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards

Gabor  

GWH Su-35S 7 S.jpg

Edited by ya-gabor

Thanks Gabor,  I missed profiles... somehow :-) Damn 36 birthday knocking :-)  There is no 2 identical Russian aircraft, even from production line, and theat is huge plus of enjoying of modelling :-)

Forget double launchers, keep up with this excellent work :-)

I like how wheels are done, one piece tyre with two piece wheel hub :-)

With a full stash, I seldom get particularly excited about new releases, but this is an exception. This one is definitely going on my Christmas list or birthday list, depending on when it gets released...

19 hours ago, Falcondriver said:

Gabor,

Any news on the tinted canopy question raised earlier?

Regards

Victor

I believe this has already been mentioned. The model and the sprues shown at the Japan show were the very first test examples. They are far from the final version which will be on sale.

The fact that Su-35 uses tinted canopy is pretty obvious for anyone. For me as a researcher of this project the job is to highlight the different details which should be included in the kit. Yes, the question of the tinted canopy was pointed out in documentation years ago. I am not the manufacturer, so decisions in this question are not up to me to make.

As a modeller I can only hope just as you! :coolio:

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, Thanks for providing your input on this kit. I was wondering if this kit has intake tunnels? I see the intake trunks but what about the interior of the intakes where it goes from a rectangular cross section to a circular cross section where it meets the 1st stage fan blades? Similar to what Kinietic did with the Su-33 Illustrated here in steps 7,8&9  

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10358401/70/4

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10358401/70/5

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

Gabor, Thanks for providing your input on this kit. I was wondering if this kit has intake tunnels?

There are different stages in designing a kit. My responsibility is for general research. Break down of parts is up to the mould design team. Could not speak for them. But, yes there are internal intake trunking parts.

Mind you they have some fantastic ideas!  We on the other hand only try to keep to dry ( boring ) facts of the real aircraft and seeing that at the end we will get a scale replica of the original.

Speaking of the engines. One idea from the mould designers are the one part engine covers. They are something special achieved with slide moulds. There are some fine details on them, hope modellers will like it. Plenty of possibility for detailed painting!

Here is the left engine cover. Please note that these are still early test sprues. Some of the surface details look a little bit over exaggerated which is simply due to the fact of the now traditional “silver paint scheme”, traditional for G.W.H release announcements.  

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 8.jpg

33 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

There are different stages in designing a kit. My responsibility is for general research. Break down of parts is up to the mould design team. Could not speak for them. But, yes there are internal intake trunking parts.

Mind you they have some fantastic ideas!  We on the other hand only try to keep to dry ( boring ) facts of the real aircraft and seeing that at the end we will get a scale replica of the original.

Speaking of the engines. One idea from the mould designers are the one part engine covers. They are something special achieved with slide moulds. There are some fine details on them, hope modellers will like it. Plenty of possibility for detailed painting!

Here is the left engine cover. Please note that these are still early test sprues. Some of the surface details look a little bit over exaggerated which is simply due to the fact of the now traditional “silver paint scheme”, traditional for G.W.H release announcements.  

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 8.jpg

They look fine.

Edited by B.Sin

Speaking of the engines here are few more details on sprue photos. One of the options for the engine exhausts is illustrated here. There is a possibility to build the exhaust both in "open" or "closed" position. 

One interesting thing is if you look at operational photos of the Su-35 in some cases on the ground you can see one engine with "open" and the other with "closed" petals. So if there is a wish one can even reproduce this version with the G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 11.jpg