1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

10 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

1. Why sell them to anyone? Money?

2. Yes, I had the Sukhoy drawings when they were released. Interesting and surprising move it was so many years ago! Wonder why did they publish such sensitive drawings at a date when the very first aircraft were only entering service? By mistake? Don’t think so. If it was a mistake, accidental security leak, then in no time they would have been erased by Russian services from the internet as it has happened in other cases. No, they are still there.

The drawings are interesting but they are not scale plans just a sketch showing approx. position of service panels and giving their ID number. The same as you will have painted onto every panel on real aircraft. The numbers are right but a lot of panels are not exactly where they should be! Or not shown at all. The nose cone contour was simply copied from a Su-27 without the pitot. There are some nice cross sections, some good, some not so. For example there is a structural drawing of the nose wheel bay door. It has nothing to do with the Su-35 while the drawing states this, giving “drawing numbers” and all to make it look authentic. The Su-35 door is not a straight rectangle. At the front it is much wider and it gets narrow to the back, details are wrong on this drawing. The drawing is of a rectangle structure probably from an earlier Su-27 family aircraft. Some of the structural drawings are of the prototype airframes. Those published drawings are a mix of different materials and it is probably because of this they were published so freely. The cockpit diagrams are good and if you look at photos of the real aircraft they are almost 100% spot on. The ejection seat is not the definitive production version, there are detail differences.  

Remember Zvezda trying to do the PakFa kit? Sukhoy gave them blue prints. As it turned out it was a complete disinformation from the OKB. The drawings had nothing to do with the real aircraft. . . It would have been very silly to expect Sukhoy to give out the most secretive 5 generation fighters detaied plans to a toy company. Be serious!

I don’t know if history repeats itself or not. People had “connected” the different drawings to make it into a single piece and believing it is a perfect drawing. One should be careful with this!

Best regards

Gabor  

Gabor, everybody knows, that the Sukhoi didn't release any "drawings" of Su-35.There are not Su-35 scale plans at all, just CAD math model of all components and full assemly. They are secret. The only available "drawings" are the service diagrams from manual, based on CAD. They are non-secret and missed most of details, just schematic,  but have very well contours (there is only slight distortion). I've had a chance to compare them against original digital plan renders to confirm this. The main feature everybody should know, that Su-35 has almost absolutely the same shapes, as Su-27, so should have the same cross-sections.  You know, the future model will be the best, but again has missed cross-section shapes of the lower fuselage part behind the main wheel wells. Mistake, we could escape, but it unfortunately is here. 

Edited by Alex Matvey

Few posts ago the question was raised about what can be reproduced from nice CAD images and what will be only a nice CAD and nothing more.

I have said that a lot of slide injection moulding was used in producing the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. There are several reason for this:

-  to make assembly easier

-  to cut down part number

-  cutting part number will positively influence the price of the kit

-  and the most important to add details which are not easy or possible at all to do with traditional production.

One example is the front gear mud guard and the ejection seat guide rail box. Both are fairly complex and there are some nice surface details. The mudguard is fairly small. Yes, it would be possible to produce separate elements of the guard layers but think about assembly that would go into it. One can do it from photoetch (sure it will be much thinner than plastic parts) but to build it and make a nice reproduction in three dimension from a 2D pieces of flat brass. Well possible, but the time and work.

With slide moulding a one piece and sturdy assembly can be produced that you paint and simply pop in place!

Same goes for the ejection seat guide rail box. Once again it is possible to do it from brass and even have a little more detail on it, but the effort put into it.

Easy assembly, user / modeller  friendly kit but still well detailed product was a primary consideration in design of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Here you can see the CAD, the brake down of parts on the sprues (still CAD), the plastic sprue and the final built version.

wsgeagG.jpg

i4WNdSg.jpg

aHNw9NJ.jpg

z11mgbY.jpg

Hope you will like it.

Best regards

Gabor

Concerning the nose cone question.

Here a small selection of photos which I sent to G.W.H during development of the kit a long time ago.

The contour of the cone on Su-35 is slightly changed. OK more than slightly since the pitot tube is removed, lightning strips are added and since the whole aircraft nose section was change its length was also changed.

But take a look from the front. The side wall of the nose cone at the base are almost completely flat surface, well a conical shape of changing diameter but its surface is almost completely flat. If it was not for the lightning strips I don’t think that I have ever noticed this. There is a very sharp brake point where the real curvature begins. Have a look at the photo that I took of the real aircraft from full head on.

7DJ53mG.jpg

Black lines were added to have a comparison.

EmEZFFZ.jpg

VVpR28v.jpg

There is a slight “brake point” on Su-27 nose cone too but it is not so prominent and the side view is more of a continuous curvature.

The last photo not by me. So sorry to the author, but I have no idea who he is. Hope he will not mind that it was used as illustration. With sun head on the distinct brake in the surface is clearly visible.

RBvjuOz.jpg

Best regards

Gabor    

Gabor, it's just an illusion. Su-27 nose lines has absolutely the same features. 

Look at this red contour over Su-27 and Su-35 cones. It is from original Su-35 renders and perfectly match the published Su-35 service diagrams. There is just optical illusion, caused by different length of radomes  and statics release lines.

38116245114_751a9dc309_b.jpgNose_cones by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr

Edited by Alex Matvey

In the case of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit we are producing a Su-35 and not a Su-27. What the tusk was is to reproduce in scale the Su-35 aircraft. As shown above there is a slight flat side to the nose cone so it was produced for the kit.

A lot of photos were taken of this area and this is what is visible on the nose cone, it is not an optical illusion! It is there. Just as the Su-35S aircraft was there when taking the photos, it was not an optical illusion! Please take again a look at the above photo from head on.

When (and if ever) I will have any work on a Su-27 kit we will have to look at the nose cone of the Su-27 and see what it is like. For the moment all I can say (repeat what has been said before) is that on the 27 the curvature of the cone is more continuous.

What we have here is a scale reproduction of the Su-35S aircraft! No kit is perfect, and I know that this kit is also not 100% (it is not possible to make one) but what we have is the best reproduction.

As far as I can see from your comparisons you are speaking about something else! Which is not the point in this question.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
19 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

For the moment all I can say (repeat what has been said before) is that on the 27 the curvature of the cone is more continuous.

Wrong you are, Gabor. When you do careful research on Su-27, you will find, that Su-27 has the same "flat" area in the same location.

Forgotten belly shape and "kink" on the flaperon.

38117137484_81f80b9b1b_b.jpgDSCF9016 by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr
38117140754_c2c0dd687d_b.jpgDSCF9015 by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr
27056906349_ed9c2b9b92_b.jpgDSCF9052 by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr
27056908429_9051de270f_b.jpgDSCF9017 by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr

It is always almost impossible for someone alone to catch all the "fleas" researching a subject, but involving friends and colleagues in the research process gives the better output!

Edited by Alex Matvey
4 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

It is always almost impossible for someone alone to catch all the "fleas" researching a subject, but involving friends and colleagues in the research process gives the better output!

It is possible that you see only my comments here but the fact is that a team was doing the work on this kit for years! I am just one of the researchers, Haneto did a lot of work (and still doing a hell of a lot of work) and of course the CAD Team too at G.W.H as well as few “consultants”. So you are wrong in this. This is not a one man show!

Once again I have to say that this is the Su-35S kit and NOT a Su-27 kit! Speaking of the Su-27 it is worth having a closer look at that nose cone too. Of course there is a break in its outline, if there was none then all the aftermarket nosecone producers would have gone out of business!  :crying: The brake in the outline on 27’s  is not so dramatic as it is on Su-35.  

To quickly change subject and try to find something else that should be wrong is a clever move. :D

I don’t think there is much point in going on and on and on and on about this!

I prefer to speak about the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a little glimpse into the cockpit of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. A lot of detail went into this part of the kit. The cockpit builds up from around 40 different plastic parts to give an authentic work place.

Here is what the sprue CAD looks like

aVsVDaV.jpg 

The top side walls of the cockpit (just under the ledge) have the insulating padding added on them. The forward side walls give details to the area just under the instrument panel, next to the pedals. The “pockets” on the sidewalls (at knee level) are represented. On the left it is for the red emergency brake leaver, the one on the other side serves as a map holder. In the centre the base of the control column is detailed just as the “leg room” for the pilot. The joystick is made up of two parts.

VnhwEcm.jpg

DrA1XG4.jpg

kuxV0A5.jpg

The cockpit will take a lot of detailed painting. Hope this will not make the kit unbuildable.  :D 

Best regards

Gabor

18 minutes ago, mario krijan said:

Gabor, where is pilot??? ☺

Oh no, we left it out!!! Yes, I think we will have to cancel the whole project because of this.  :D   :D   :D  

We have to leave something for aftermarkets.

Best regards

Gabor

Really ooking forward to getting one of these.     

Not it to change the subject a bit.  Does anyone know if gwh will be doing a f-15e in 1/48 anytime soon ??

Edited by Stinger16

I am sorry but this is not a WISH LIST for G.W.H. So I cannot help you in all the request. All I can do is to show what the new G.W.H Su-35S will look like. 

Several questions were raised about the engine before. One of them was about the engine trunking. Do we have it or not in the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. Well yes it is there. Parts 12, 13, 14 and 15 on sprue G build up into the engine trunking all the way up to the engine face (Parts D1 and D3).  

The single engine parts (Part H1 and H2) with all the intake details and the trunking parts build up into a complete unit.

Have a look. What do you think?

fKSFYOk.jpg

4aMPU2L.jpg

dKIXTdb.jpg

ryjB5TP.jpg

fjHfTeY.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

39 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I thought the intakes were single piece?

Sure they are. The main body is one piece all the way from the intake front lip to engine exhaust.  Slide moulding technology is good (or excelletn) but it will not produce a one piece Su-35S aircraft for you!  :D    :D    :D    :D  

You need some parts like the top of the intake ramp which is a one piece but the bottom intakes are also there as well as the intake trunking parts and the engine front face.

Best regards

Gabor 

GWH Su-35S 8.jpg

I've just built Zvezda's 72nd Su-27SM and Kinetics Su-33 so I am a bit "Flankered" out but boy looking at that kit engineering!!! I might have to jump back in that pool!! Looks really good.