1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

3 hours ago, boom175 said:

I've just built Zvezda's 72nd Su-27SM and Kinetics Su-33 so I am a bit "Flankered" out but boy looking at that kit engineering!!! I might have to jump back in that pool!! Looks really good.

Well, you will have a good comparison if decide to do the G.W.H kit too. It is always good to see other manufacturers approach to the same (sameish) subject, an interesting experience to see how they solved the same problems.

The Zvezda Su-27SM is one of the best kits of the Flanker in any scale! Shame they did not do a 48th scale  . .  .

The Kinetic (or what ever it was originaly) 33 kit is good, have it, will build it when have some spare time. It has the special "feeling" of the Navy version. I would love to build it as 88 (I think it was 88) which had a special built-in pilot ladder like on the F-18. Only on this one as far as I know. But makes it very interesting!!! 

Best regards

Gabor

21 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Sure they are. The main body is one piece all the way from the intake front lip to engine exhaust.  Slide moulding technology is good (or excelletn) but it will not produce a one piece Su-35S aircraft for you!  :D    :D    :D    :D  

You need some parts like the top of the intake ramp which is a one piece but the bottom intakes are also there as well as the intake trunking parts and the engine front face.

Best regards

Gabor 

GWH Su-35S 8.jpg

Yeah, I saw that AFTER I hit the send button.......Damn-it!

On Monday, December 04, 2017 at 10:22 AM, B.Sin said:

More on this kit over at Hyperscale.

Could you give us a link please? I didn't find anything about GWH Su 35.

Thanks Gabor for this "apéritif", it is really very very exciting! 

PZR

23 minutes ago, Janissary said:

A new chapter in modeling begins: Review of the CAD of your favorite, yet-to-be-produced, kit. Not a bad thing, just seeing that coming... Good times.

And then ask everyone to pre-order the kit from vendors. Thank God GWH is not doing that!

Thanks for the comments. I believe that apart from manufacturing it is just as important to show what the given kit is like, advantages, what it is made of, how it was designed, ideas behind it and also who made it possible. Personally I would have like to start showing the kit much earlier to have time before its release to show what modellers can expect. I am just researcher in this project so it is not my decision “when to speak”. Just as release date, price and such are all up to the manufacturer.

Question was raised about a pilot figure in the kit. Some modellers like it, some don’t but the one who makes the decision is the manufacturer. It is a question of taste. Some manufacturers do it, others don’t. It is as simple as that.

For me as a modeller it was very interesting, a lot of fun and a hell of a lot of work in the past years to be part of this project and have a say in what is made in the kit and how it looks like.  I can only speak for myself but believe the same goes for Haneto too. It is fascinating to be able to add designs into a kit which one expects to see or is hoping that the manufacturer will make in a plastic scale kit in year 2017. But we have to keep a balance between the wants and what can be actually made in a given scale with the available technology. Believe me I would have still had more ideas . . . B)  B)  B)

With the “info packs” I try to show bits and pieces of the kit, give a bit of background, some inside stories of what the particular parts are for, why they are like that and where the original information comes from. Hope it is of interest to modellers. And also hope that there are still some interesting things that I can show in the days, weeks to come.

Of course the design work was not a smooth sailing. Have to have in mind that participants are all over the world. They are thousands of kilometres and time zones apart. There are language barriers as well as cultural. I hope people will like the end result which I have to add is not 100%. We always want more!

Any manufacturer claiming that their product is 100% and perfect is telling lies! It is inevitable that some mistakes will creep in, information lost along the lines, will go unnoticed or be a simple fluke of a computer program where data is lost between Mk.57 and Mk.58 modifications/corrections. :wall: Believe me there were many stages in this work till we arrived to plastic parts.    

The G.W.H Su-35S is a plastic kit from modellers for modellers.  

Concerning the tinted canopy. Yes, this was pointed out several times to the manufacturer. The final decision is not made by me.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Thanks for the comments. I believe that apart from manufacturing it is just as important to show what the given kit is like, advantages, what it is made of, how it was designed, ideas behind it and also who made it possible. Personally I would have like to start showing the kit much earlier to have time before its release to show what modellers can expect. I am just researcher in this project so it is not my decision “when to speak”. Just as release date, price and such are all up to the manufacturer.

Question was raised about a pilot figure in the kit. Some modellers like it, some don’t but the one who makes the decision is the manufacturer. It is a question of taste. Some manufacturers do it, others don’t. It is as simple as that.

For me as a modeller it was very interesting, a lot of fun and a hell of a lot of work in the past years to be part of this project and have a say in what is made in the kit and how it looks like.  I can only speak for myself but believe the same goes for Haneto too. It is fascinating to be able to add designs into a kit which one expects to see or is hoping that the manufacturer will make in a plastic scale kit in year 2017. But we have to keep a balance between the wants and what can be actually made in a given scale with the available technology. Believe me I would have still had more ideas . . . B)  B)  B)

With the “info packs” I try to show bits and pieces of the kit, give a bit of background, some inside stories of what the particular parts are for, why they are like that and where the original information comes from. Hope it is of interest to modellers. And also hope that there are still some interesting things that I can show in the days, weeks to come.

Of course the design work was not a smooth sailing. Have to have in mind that participants are all over the world. They are thousands of kilometres and time zones apart. There are language barriers as well as cultural. I hope people will like the end result which I have to add is not 100%. We always want more!

Any manufacturer claiming that their product is 100% and perfect is telling lies! It is inevitable that some mistakes will creep in, information lost along the lines, will go unnoticed or be a simple fluke of a computer program where data is lost between Mk.57 and Mk.58 modifications/corrections. :wall: Believe me there were many stages in this work till we arrived to plastic parts.    

The G.W.H Su-35S is a plastic kit from modellers for modellers.  

Concerning the tinted canopy. Yes, this was pointed out several times to the manufacturer. The final decision is not made by me.

Best regards

Gabor

Hello, we need, and would like this one in 1/72 scale ...?

55 minutes ago, neffan01 said:

Hello, we need, and would like this one in 1/72 scale ...?

Doesn't Hasegawa have a Su-35 in 1/72? Granted it has only the top-mounted countermeasure dispensers but it still is a pretty decent kit right?

Mark

On 12/3/2017 at 11:33 PM, Alex Matvey said:

Gabor, everybody knows, that the Sukhoi didn't release any "drawings" of Su-35.There are not Su-35 scale plans at all, just CAD math model of all components and full assemly. They are secret. The only available "drawings" are the service diagrams from manual, based on CAD. They are non-secret and missed most of details, just schematic,  but have very well contours (there is only slight distortion). I've had a chance to compare them against original digital plan renders to confirm this. The main feature everybody should know, that Su-35 has almost absolutely the same shapes, as Su-27, so should have the same cross-sections.  You know, the future model will be the best, but again has missed cross-section shapes of the lower fuselage part behind the main wheel wells. Mistake, we could escape, but it unfortunately is here. 

Yes it has top mounted dispensers.

A bit of fuselage details, I am sure Ken the Flankerman will appreciate this.

Some details of the fuselage shape are very difficult to see from the standard side and level view of the aircraft. This is the normal stance that photos are taken in most cases.

jYpKAkE.jpg

The Su-27 as well as the Su-35 has a complex double (it was doubt as an S shaped) curvature of the fuselage cross section around the nose near the gun. This is something that has been missed by most other Flanker kit manufacturers apart from the fantastic 72 nd scale Zvezda kit.

On the new G.W.H Su-35S kit this surface feature was reproduced. To see it better one has to take a full frontal view of the fuselage.

The bulge around the air refuelling port is also not obvious from side views. The frontal view shows this too.

B1eh3ZY.jpg

sX0MQ6U.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

4 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

The sheer amount of research that has gone into this project is nothing short of phenomenal.

Phenomenal perhaps but not unique. Some other companies have a similar design approach. I wish TrumpyBoss was one of them instead of having the "send us all the reference material you've got and pray" approach.

With the option of a running engine one would also expect the additional air intakes on bottom of the intake to be in an open position. With parts D 14 and 15 a choice is provided to the modeller to do exactly this. I personally prefer the static aircraft, standing on the ramp, prepared for flight with everything “dropped” apart from the open auxiliary intakes. But of course there are people who want to have this option too, so here you have it.

laynKk6.jpg

Auxiliary intakes in closed position for static aircraft

Wdu6ctD.jpg

Auxiliary intakes in open position when engienes are running

YejTVz9.jpg

Best regards

Gabor