1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

1 hour ago, mario krijan said:

Gabor, can you make some comments about ejection seat and start of LERXs. Thanks! To me, seat looks off, and start of LERXs are too much in front.

A new ejection seat was developed by Zvezda for the next generation of fighters like the Su-35 and PakFa (or T-50 or Su-57 which ever name you like) the K-36D-5 version. It is based on the “old” K-36D 3.5 but is different in many many ways. The one in the kit is the best representation of the D-5 model at the moment.

Other kit manufacturers throw in a K-36 seat, whatever version they have off the shelf, designed earlier and they use it for every Su or MiG kit. So for example you get a K-36DM series 2 seat in a Su-24 or even wilder “cross kittings”. :bandhead2:

In research of the G.W.H Su-35S kit I went to the manufacturer and examined the original 36D-5.

There are two point on the kit seat with which I am not happy but they are not really visible on a finished kit.

I am sure we will have aftermarket companies doing resin seats. This is inevitable. Best of luck to them! Some people like what is in the box, some don’t. Everyone has a choice!

The LEX is where it should be. It is true that the anti-abrasive grey paint leading edge ends exactly at fuselage frame 4 ( Ш 4) which would indicate that the LEX starts here. But the actual curvature starts well ahead of it. There is a visual cheat here.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
1 minute ago, ya-gabor said:

A new ejection seat was developed by Zvezda for the next generation of fighters like the Su-35 and PakFa (or T-50 or Su-57 which ever name you like) the K-36D-5 version. It is based on the “old” K-36D 3.5 but is different in many many ways. The one in the kit is the best representation of the D-5 model at the moment.

Other kit manufacturers throw in a K-36 seat, whatever version they have off the shelf, designed earlier and they use it for every Su or MiG kit. So for example you get a K-36DM series 2 seat in a Su-24 or even wilder “cross kittings”. :bandhead2:

In research of the G.W.H Su-35S kit I went to the manufacturer and examined the original 36D-5.

There are two point on the kit seat with which I am not happy but they are not really visible on a finished kit.

I am sure we will have aftermarket companies doing resin seats. This is inevitable. Best of luck to them! Some people like what is in the box, some don’t. Everyone has a choice!

The LEX is where it should be.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks!!! :-)

To make the kit as user / modeller friendly as possible some different solutions were applied on the new G.W.H Su-35S kit.

In order to authentically display a static, parking Su-35S aircraft there are several features which need to be made on the kit. Like the dropped engine exhaust but also the horizontal stabilizers are usually in a dropped position. To be more precise they have a nose up attitude of around 15 degrees due to weight of the stabilizer.

To reproduce this, the stabilizers can be moved on the new G.W.H Su-35S kit. You can position them at will, either in level position with running engines or in a dropped position (or any intermediate position if you like). All this is made possible by building up the stabilizers from several parts: B1, B2, C11, C12, C89 and C 90. The result is a complete sub assembly for each stabilizer. Use of several parts helps to give maximum surface details and to avoid those annoying shrink marks on the surface due to over thick plastic part. You have the option to position the stabilizers as you like on the finished kit.

To make it even more user friendly there is no need to glue the stabilizers in position at an early stage of building the model. You can pre paint them, which will save you on masking, it will protect the static dischargers during the build and paint job and in the end you can simply attach them to the finished kit.

SnrO7oC.jpg

5AjxF4X.jpg

K158sOF.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, can you please gave us photos of OLS area, and transition from OLS housing to windscreen. On picture there is one more sheet going on windscreen and OLS housing. Is refueling probe edge inside of skin or it cames from it a little?

On 2017. 12. 12. at 11:43 PM, mario krijan said:

Gabor, can you please gave us photos of OLS area, and transition from OLS housing to windscreen. On picture there is one more sheet going on windscreen and OLS housing. Is refueling probe edge inside of skin or it cames from it a little?

Hi Mario,

I dont really understand what you are asking, what the problem is. Please specify, if I can, I try to help.

Best regards

Gabor  

15 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

I like to build my  models armed and running, thats why I would like pilot figures

I am very sorry but you will have to get the pilot figure from somewhere else if you decide to get the G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Mario,

I am sure you are aware of the fact that I am doing research and supplying the necessary information to different manufacturers for development of kits, decals, aftermarkets. .  .   

This is my part of the project.

I am not a graphic designer, CAD designer and have only a limited control over what each manufacturer produces with the given technology that they are using, be it injection moulding, resin casting, 3D printing, photo etch, turning brass, printing decals. .  .   In the end the manufacturer makes the decisions. While I am here in the middle of Europe some of the manufacturers are in far places of the world, so there is no direct way of going over every small point and have a more direct 3C (control / communication / correction).

Speaking of the Su-35S kit from what you shown above, you can see exactly that I have provided the needed information. As to what came out in the end . . .       . . .  I think it looks good! :)  Somewhere earlier I have said that there is no 100% kit and ANY manufacturer (or researcher) (and we have some of both here on forums!!!) claiming that their product is perfect is telling a lie!

I know it is not rivetcounting but if one actual starts counting the rivets then will discover that it is possible that you will find only 5 rivets where on the real aircraft there are 8-10! This is where I say limits of a technology and the resulting scaling correction plays an important part (unfortunately). If we had all the 10 rivets and all of them in true scaled-down size, one will not see it or it will be a continuous line. The G.W.H kit has a multitude of surface details, rivets, different rivets, panel locks, small screws, large screws, engraved panels lines, panels (reinforcements) which are on top of the surface . . . With the bigger screws, panel fast locks . . .  the situation is different, whenever it was possible the exactly right number was reproduced. Remember that the G.W.H kit was designed around two service examples and we have seen that there are variations between aircraft.

Concerning the HUD, originally (years ago) I proposed to have it made from photoetch. You have to take into account that there are places on the kit, where you need to adapt to the production technology. The manufacturer, in this case wanted to have injection moulding tech. You will not be able to produce a true scale replica of some parts, adjustment has to be made in order for it to be produced with a given technology and within a given space. 

Best regards

Gabor :D

Edited by ya-gabor
2 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Mario,

I am sure you are aware of the fact that I am doing research and supplying the necessary information to different manufacturers for development of kits, decals, aftermarkets. .  .   

This is my part of the project.

I am not a graphic designer, CAD designer and have only a limited control over what each manufacturer produces with the given technology that they are using, be it injection moulding, resin casting, 3D printing, photo etch, turning brass, printing decals. .  .   In the end the manufacturer makes the decisions. While I am here in the middle of Europe some of the manufacturers are in far places of the world, so there is no direct way of going over every small point and have a more direct 3C (control / communication / correction).

Speaking of the Su-35S kit from what you shown above, you can see exactly that I have provided the needed information. As to what came out in the end . . .       . . .  I think it looks good! :)  Somewhere earlier I have said that there is no 100% kit and ANY manufacturer (or researcher) (and we have some of both here on forums!!!) claiming that their product is perfect is laying!

I know it is not rivetcounting but if one actual starts counting the rivets then will discover that it is possible that you will find only 5 rivets where on the real aircraft there are 8-10! This is where I say limits of a technology and the resulting scaling correction plays an important part (unfortunately). If we had all the 10 rivets and all of them in true scaled-down size, one will not see it or it will be a continuous line. The G.W.H kit has a multitude of surface details, rivets, different rivets, panel locks, small screws, large screws, engraved panels lines, panels (reinforcements) which are on top of the surface . . . With the bigger screws, panel fast locks . . .  the situation is different, whenever it was possible the exactly right number was reproduced. Remember that the G.W.H kit was designed around two service examples and we have seen that there are variations between aircraft.

Concerning the HUD, originally (years ago) I proposed to have it made from photoetch. You have to take into account that there are places on the kit, where you need to adapt to the production technology. The manufacturer, in this case wanted to have injection moulding tech. You will not be able to produce a true scale replica of some parts, adjustment has to be made in order for it to be produced with a given technology and within a given space. 

Best regards

Gabor :D

You are right Gabor. Thanks!!

3 ore fa, Mario Krijan ha detto:

Gabor, mi riferisco a questo

Dlgqhre.jpg

yhImK4N.jpg

QbpA5tC.jpg

Capisco che è così difficile da rendere il modello 3D con tutte quelle informazioni. Forse è quello il mio occhio, non vedo l'ora di vedere più di :-) plastica

Vedo che spesso si fanno confronti tra un modello e foto 3D per indicare le differenze, errori o altro. Permettetemi di dare il mio contributo. Dimenticate il modello che sto usando per mostrare la differenza, rimanere concentrati sul Su-35 GWH Nel video vi allego a te, guardare la linea rossa che ho usato come punto di riferimento. Ho modificato solo l'angolo di prospettiva del modello 3d. Poiché questo è parte del mio lavoro, io non voglio annoiarvi con le cose complicate, anche perché il mio è un cattivo inglese.

Edited by Raptor71

In the specific case of the SU-35, not only changes the perspective angle, but also the inclination of the photo. In the 3d model is a front view (probably parallel, ie without perspective) in the photo of the real plane instead there is a perspective (which would be the focal length of the camera) plus the photo of the real plane is differently inclined.

Now this is an excellent photo to illustrate design development.

The Su-35 is a brand new aircraft. It has inherited the outlines and few main components from the original Su-27 Flanker family but it is basically a new aircraft under development. The development and upgrades on the SU-35S are constant and continuous. Thing are changed all the time as illustrated by this photo. Aircraft with a/c number 5X and 6X have new features. One can see that a new combat camera has been added to new production airframes. The HUD electronics box has a new side panel where the cooling ribs are only partially visible (if at all). In development of the G.W.H Su-35S the main visible external up-grades were added. There is a limit to where one can go on and follow the upgrades. Deadlines have to be met or the development will turn into a never ending story. Look what happened to the original (PreKinetic) Su-33 kit company.

With the G.W.H Su-35S kit there were many contrasting priorities. I would have liked to include more detail, more upgrades while the company has to keep deadlines both in production and availability of a kit. One has to say this is the end of development, corrections . . .  and from here on it is the turn of production teams. No matter what else can be done, corrected, added, redesigned . . . Other ways it will never end and the kit will be never released!

Also how deep will you go into fuselage? One can make the whole refuelling pod and its bay separately. OK but then what else? Will one want to illustrate the 2 nd, the 3 rd, the 4 th stage of the compressor in the engine. Well something is visible of it on the real engine so should we be doing it too?

We are not building a working 1 to 1 scale aircraft here :D, only a scale replica where the scale limits the type of detail that can be included, but also part number and the eventual price of the kit. 

I am happy that the cockpit ventilation vent was added under the windscreen. It is now up to the modellers to make use of it with some detailed painting.

OnlH6dG.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, mario krijan said:

You are right Gabor. 

I am not sure of this. I did make mistakes during developments of the kit, hopefully corrected them too. One has to listen to other opinions also and if valid incorporate into the design. 

There were one or two areas where there was simply no information available and it was decided to leave them, it would have been possible to create some kind of fiction but we have agreed to leave that (freeflying fiction) to other manufactures. :D :D

In these areas it was not possible to get photos within legal limits, it is sad but there was nothing that we could do! :crying: I am sure the aftermarkets will jump in and create something here too. Good luck to them.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, maybe I was to short on words. I appreciate your effort and knowledge. The huge project is done by GWH and Haneto, and cannot wait to see plastic. I am the engineer and I totally understand how complex project is done here. There are many small details which are wrongly shaped,  but it is acceptable in any way!! After all, GWH wants to sell kits and earn money, but we also want great kit!!! Even between two machines, there are minor differences in them :-) Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...

What we have here is something “interesting”. For unknown reasons and under suspicious circumstances images were released of the decal sheets and the photoetch set for the Su-35 kit.

One has to add that the images are of preliminary, unfinished decals and photoetch. They don’t represent the final product but still show a lot of problems. The whole development of the decal sheet is very unfortunate story. I have invested close to three months into research of the subject and collected all the necessary information for the decals. It was all put together into a fully detailed package and forwarded to G.W.H at the end of summer. Photos of all the stencils were sent, a full set of Russian text was provided separately so that the decal designer can simply paste the text into the design. Several drawings were made to show the exact position, the precise heading, the size of each decal and additional images for clear understanding of what needs to be done and how it should look like.

It was a full package to make a 97% complete decal sheet. Only 97% since there were 4-5 stencils for which there was no precise information, so it was left off. Mind you only stencils of bigger size, more prominent and noticeable were included with a special attention to printability. After all there is no point in designing something that would not show at all on a printed decal sheet.

At a very close inspection of a Su-35S in the smaller category one can see a lot of individual service panel numberings on the real aircraft. Just like on some US types Suhoy has made double numbering (one on the panel itself and one next to it on the surface indicating aircraft Left or Right side also) but this markings are far too small even for 48 th scale. Maybe in 32 nd they could be made. There are also tiny yellow frame numbers of the airframe structure which almost disappear on their background colour. No point in making them. But all the rest was designed and supplied to the manufacturer.

It is very unfortunate that a one-way “cooperation” was experienced. I was asking questions with no replies. Usually when designing decals for other manufacturers, there is a constant stream of information both ways to iron-out any misunderstandings, mistakes or questions by both the decal maker and the researcher. In this case it was not like this. :angry: After months of silence I was confronted with the decals just as everyone else few days ago on internet forums. There are serious problems with it and I don’t really like it! :bandhead2:

Have to add the pylons, weapons and the instrument panels have nothing to do with me.

Un-comprehendible changes were made in the past months to the originally supplied data, decals disappeared for some silly reasons, designs modified . . . I have no words for this.

The radar dish is an interesting story. It was not easy to persuade the manufacturer to include this decal in the kit. Personally I was against doing the radar in the kit at the start! Not because of lack of information (fortunately there was more than enough) but because of lack of time. Manufacturer made a decision on including the radar at the very last moment when it was way too late to add all the fine details to it. To save the situation I was pushing to at least do a decal for the forward face which could compensate for other deficiencies of the design. At least we have this.   

I have to apologise to all modellers for what you will get is not what I have researched and proposed for this kit. Sad, but there is nothing that I can do and my name is shown on the decal sheet so I have to take the blame for everything.

Sorry for this to everyone!

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

What we have here is something “interesting”. For unknown reasons and under suspicious circumstances images were released of the decal sheets and the photoetch set for the Su-35 kit.

One has to add that the images are of preliminary, unfinished decals and photoetch. They don’t represent the final product but still show a lot of problems. The whole development of the decal sheet is very unfortunate story. I have invested close to three months into research of the subject and collected all the necessary information for the decals. It was all put together into a fully detailed package and forwarded to G.W.H at the end of summer. Photos of all the stencils were sent, a full set of Russian text was provided separately so that the decal designer can simply paste the text into the design. Several drawings were made to show the exact position, the precise heading, the size of each decal and additional images for clear understanding of what needs to be done and how it should look like.

It was a full package to make a 97% complete decal sheet. Only 97% since there were 4-5 stencils for which there was no precise information, so it was left off. Mind you only stencils of bigger size, more prominent and noticeable were included with a special attention to printability. After all there is no point in designing something that would not show at all on a printed decal sheet.

At a very close inspection of a Su-35S in the smaller category one can see a lot of individual service panel numberings on the real aircraft. Just like on some US types Suhoy has made double numbering (one on the panel itself and one next to it on the surface indicating aircraft Left or Right side also) but this markings are far too small even for 48 th scale. Maybe in 32 nd they could be made. There are also tiny yellow frame numbers of the airframe structure which almost disappear on their background colour. No point in making them. But all the rest was designed and supplied to the manufacturer.

It is very unfortunate that a one-way “cooperation” was experienced. I was asking questions with no replies. Usually when designing decals for other manufacturers, there is a constant stream of information both ways to iron-out any misunderstandings, mistakes or questions by both the decal maker and the researcher. In this case it was not like this. :angry: After months of silence I was confronted with the decals just as everyone else few days ago on internet forums. There are serious problems with it and I don’t really like it! :bandhead2:

Have to add the pylons, weapons and the instrument panels have nothing to do with me.

Un-comprehendible changes were made in the past months to the originally supplied data, decals disappeared for some silly reasons, designs modified . . . I have no words for this.

The radar dish is an interesting story. It was not easy to persuade the manufacturer to include this decal in the kit. Personally I was against doing the radar in the kit at the start! Not because of lack of information (fortunately there was more than enough) but because of lack of time. Manufacturer made a decision on including the radar at the very last moment when it was way too late to add all the fine details to it. To save the situation I was pushing to at least do a decal for the forward face which could compensate for other deficiencies of the design. At least we have this.   

I have to apologise to all modellers for what you will get is not what I have researched and proposed for this kit. Sad, but there is nothing that I can do and my name is shown on the decal sheet so I have to take the blame for everything.

Sorry for this to everyone!

Best regards

Gabor