1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Well this is what one can expect in the box of the G.W.H Su-35S kit.

Hope you like it. :D

First of all The box

bMAr74G.jpg

main sprues

eB0bFdY.jpg

cockpit parts

dCvxIpI.jpg

Cockpit tab

SiUECSD.jpg

tires

9NsdGGc.jpg

The canopy sprue

crJvEUT.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Thx Gabor! Can't wait to get my grubby hands on this one!!!!!

Gabor, could you please post more good pictures? Especially of the gun area and the place between the engines? All the pics we can see on Facebook and in the last posts make me hope that it is only test sprues. In some place panel lines are far too deep and in other they almost disappear... what can we think? Please show me that my fears are ridiculous.

Thanks a lot.

PZR

2 hours ago, PanzerG said:

Gabor, could you please post more good pictures? Especially of the gun area and the place between the engines? All the pics we can see on Facebook and in the last posts make me hope that it is only test sprues. In some place panel lines are far too deep and in other they almost disappear... what can we think? Please show me that my fears are ridiculous.

Thanks a lot.

PZR

Given how good the details on their Mig-29 and F-15 kits are, I'm not concerned.

Better photos have already been posted, about halfway down this page:

8 hours ago, ching kuo said:

Link = with good photos : https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5457163998?pn=9

Kind of surprised at the backlash over the FB photo - it's *obviously* a crappy pic - high magnification, low resolution, high compression, out of focus, terrible lighting...

3 hours ago, PanzerG said:

Thanks a lot.

PZR

For the moment you have to do with these pictures. Photos by Haneto.

Have no idea what is shown on facebook as I refuse to be part of this madness.

Here are few views with some explanation on what is what. The overlapping panels are authentically reproduced which on most kits would be a simple engraved panel line. There are different service panels all over the aircraft as well as joint lines of surface panels. In some cases they are represented in a different way as required to reproduce the real surface. The same applies to rivets, screws (round head or flat), fast locks, they are all different size! Have to admit that I have no idea how many versions were used in the end, have to count the variations which were incorporated into the kit.

cy3j7V6.jpg

CYbuzTf.jpg

Yes, you are right, on the bottom surface a lot of panel lines, rivet lines go into nowhere. The reason is simple, what you see here is just part of the kit, it is a sub assembly. When all the different parts find their place it will be clear where those “renitent lines” go to.

ezcJg3G.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

For the moment you have to do with these pictures. Photos by Haneto.

Have no idea what is shown on facebook as I refuse to be part of this madness.

Here are few views with some explanation on what is what. The overlapping panels are authentically reproduced which on most kits would be a simple engraved panel line. There are different service panels all over the aircraft as well as joint lines of surface panels. In some cases they are represented in a different way as required to reproduce the real surface. The same applies to rivets, screws (round head or flat), fast locks, they are all different size! Have to admit that I have no idea how many versions were used in the end, have to count the variations which were incorporated into the kit.

cy3j7V6.jpg

CYbuzTf.jpg

Yes, you are right, on the bottom surface a lot of panel lines, rivet lines go into nowhere. The reason is simple, what you see here is just part of the kit, it is a sub assembly. When all the different parts find their place it will be clear where those “renitent lines” go to.

ezcJg3G.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

What about those gun vents and that area in general? It does look a little soft. 

Brad

Edited by B.Sin

I could not go to tieba.baidu until this morning, and what I saw is excellent. BUT I did not find a picture of the gun area. Haneto posted one on this topic but the panel lines seem to be too light, maybe because of the focus? That's why I ask for another one. AND I also have GWH Mig 29 and F 15 kits, they are the best kits of these aircrafts however they also have little drawbacks: for example, the Mig has panel lines not deep enough (and a little wrong)...on the sides of the cockpit:rolleyes:.

Anyway the subject is Su-35, it looks great and thanks Gabor for your explanation. I say again, it looks great!

PZR

6 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

how come Hasegawa never gets ripped up like this on the forums?

Because Hasegawa doesn't generally spend a year showing every detail of upcoming kits on forums and telling how stunningly perfect in every possible way it will be. They don't raise expectations and build anticipation through the use of forums and contributors. That's fine if it's your policy, but when the result doesn't match the hype (and it rarely does 100%) then you are open to people noticing and commenting. 

Hasegawa is much more conservative in their tooling approach also. I think detail level is lower because they stick to the CNC machine capability domain. Imagine that the CNC machine used to cut the EDM electrodes is of the 3-axis type. This implies that the cutter will always be perpendicular to the base plane, it only moves along X/Y/Z, it cannot be tilted. Now you have to tool a curved EDM electrode that'll be used to make a fuselage half part for example. The 3-axis CNC will allow you to make the shape but not consistent surface details: in order to obtain circular "rivets", the tool must be perpendicular to the surface...but this cannot be done on 3-axis CNC as the tool (or the plane to which the copper block is attached to) cannot be tilted. If you try to make rivets near part's base, you'll end up with elliptical rivets. Panel lines depth and width are likely be unconsistent with the panel lines of flat areas (wings, fins, stabilizers, etc) also.

cncAxis.jpg

My belief is that producers like Hasegawa do not want to go beyond what the CNC machines that are used can do nicely. They want to remain in their comfort zone, they don't want unconsistent surface detailing. Chinese producers often see things differently. 

Edited by Laurent
1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Hasegawa is much more conservative in their tooling approach also. I think detail level is lower because they stick to the CNC machine capability domain. Imagine that the CNC machine used to cut the EDM electrodes is of the 3-axis type. This implies that the cutter will always be perpendicular to the base plane, it only moves along X/Y/Z, it cannot be tilted. Now you have to tool a curved EDM electrode that'll be used to make a fuselage half part for example. The 3-axis CNC will allow you to make the shape but not consistent surface details: in order to obtain circular "rivets", the tool must be perpendicular to the surface...but this cannot be done on 3-axis CNC as the tool (or the plane to which the copper block is attached to) cannot be tilted. If you try to make rivets near part's base, you'll end up with elliptical rivets. Panel lines depth and width are likely be unconsistent with the panel lines of flat areas (wings, fins, stabilizers, etc) also. My belief is that producers like Hasegawa do not want to go beyond what the CNC machines that are used can do nicely. They want to remain in their comfort zone, they don't want unconsistent surface detailing. Chinese producers often see things differently. 

While 3-axis CNC machines still very common, so are 5-axis. How do you think those "curved EDM electrodes" are made?

33 minutes ago, Dafixer said:

While 3-axis CNC machines still very common, so are 5-axis. How do you think those "curved EDM electrodes" are made?

Look at the surface detailing of the top of the intake parts.

19_fs.jpg

Last time I have said that I can show only what I have. Be patient please. Here is a curved surface with all sorts of details on it. Lines, rivets looks consistent even at the base of the curve.

nV4ZVmM.jpg

Here are the “other” sprues. All the bits and pieces and missiles.

86osZCP.jpg

The engine cover one piece parts made with the “primitive” slide-mould technology. Of course you will see a hairline joint on the surface which should be easy to sand off without damaging the surrounding area.

qIKQhOV.jpg

HruaVxT.jpg

lAoJLhL.jpg

The nose gear door with place marked out for the de-icing alcohol container which is fitted to the current production airframes and retrofitted to most early production one. To go with it a de-icing sprinkler in front of the windshield is provided as a decal. Here there is a choice for the modellers if they want to make the earlier electric de-icing version the alcohol container should be left off and the heater filaments added on the windscreen in the form of a decal.

HvCUTSX.jpg

Nose gear bay

11Avnug.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

11 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Word.

They responded back and are the new distributor here in the USA. They expect a small initial shipment of GWH products soon including the Oregpn National Guard F-15C. I'm certain SB will take care of modellers.

8 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

They responded back and are the new distributor here in the USA. They expect a small initial shipment of GWH products soon including the Oregpn National Guard F-15C. I'm certain SB will take care of modellers.

Yes, it is the Spruebrothers.

Now they need to solve the UK question.

Best regards

Gabor