1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

More of the quick test build of the new G.W.H Su-35S kit.

All photos by Haneto.

KQFj4WN.jpg

EVkpcTW.jpg

Here is the Hibinji electronic warfare container on the tips of the wings. There is a left and right side version and it is now a standard fit of the Su-35S when it goes to war. On a Russian TV program an officer was giving a quick description of the pod saying that it is for countermeasure and is fully effective below the 6000 m level.

There was no time to add some notes to the instruction sheet in the kit. If one takes a better look at the pods then it will be visible that some pods have a much darker grey cover (from the nose cone and other dielectric panels). In fact the covers are fairly frangible and many of them were replaced after breaking. In the latest version the blunt end of the pods was replaced with a new sharply pointed front cover, but this was visible only on Su-34’s till now.       

Anyway have a closer look at the reference photos of the particular aircraft you are building and could find that the Hibinji pod cons are of different colour.

1spSoAb.jpg

gRBUjJr.jpg

And a bit of the undercarriage bay with all the pipes added as separate parts from Sprue I.

sll0CzR.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On 1/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

Seriously dude.. Are you okay? Even if you want, you cannot get a GWH Su-35 without tinted canopy right now. It is clear that 1st batch of the production has both tinted and clear ones. 1 year from now you may need to think about it but if buy now it is all good. Also, frankly I agree with Gabor. if you are dropping a model because of canopy color which model can you buy? 

Dunno after looking at his post count most of which have been about the tinted canopy and reminding the world he's been a victim of "Gabor's vicious comments", can we consider him a troll?

Outstanding detail in the wheel wells. I'm currently decaling a Trumpy 1/32 Flanker that I rescued from "the shelf of doom". It was started on 2005 and has the Zacto corrections as well Aires cockpit, wheel wells, and exhausts. The small details I see in the photos of the wheel wells look better than the Aires Details. I'm really looking forward to seeing the kit in hand.

4 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Dunno after looking at his post count most of which have been about the tinted canopy and reminding the world he's been a victim of "Gabor's vicious comments", can we consider him a troll?

No, I didn’t see anything nasty about his post. He essentially said the same as Gabor did when he found out the tinted canopy wasn’t included in the entire production run.

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

No, I didn’t see anything nasty about his post. He essentially said the same as Gabor did when he found out the tinted canopy wasn’t included in the entire production run.

"lame, senseless, lazy excuse, pathetic, real shame"  were the words used. 

Anyhow, it is not even a point now since the kit has it :)

By the way, I guess this has a much larger box than the the kinetic Su-33 or KH Su-35 have since the shipping is a whopping $40 to US from luckymodel. Shipping for Su-33 is only $17 and for KH Su-35 it is $16. $40 is really a LOT.  

1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

I think this have nothing to do with box size as the same kit ships for 12.82 from hobbyeasy.

Lucky Model usually ships Small Parcel as it's cheaper. Here they don't. There's something weird. Is the kit box really small enough to be shipped Small Parcel ? If so, Lucky Model is in trouble. If not, Hobby Easy is in trouble.

Well, according to 1999.co.jp, Su-35 and Su-33 boxes are very similar in size and weigh about the same(1050 and 1100 grams) so my guess that something is wrong with luckymodel. Maybe Mr. Chung will be able to clarify.

41 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

Well, according to 1999.co.jp, Su-35 and Su-33 boxes are very similar in size and weigh about the same(1050 and 1100 grams)

I'm not sure if the word "similar" exists in postal services vocabulary.

Edited by Laurent
16 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

Apparently, I can't tell about China Post, but from USPS POV both boxes are considered large as at least one dimension is greater than 30cm(12 inches). This doesn't necessarily mean price jump.

For small packets the three dimensions added must not exceed 90cms (largest dimension must not exceed 60cm) and weight less than 2kg.

Kinetic's Su-33 measures 47x30x8.6cm. That adds up to 85.6 cm for only the kit box and adding a packing box barely enough to contain it might just be under or exceed that 90cm limit. We have to see the size of GWH's box size to judge which shipping charges are correct.

Edited by Inquisitor
1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

Apparently, I can't tell about China Post, but from USPS POV both boxes are considered large as at least one dimension is greater than 30cm(12 inches). This doesn't necessarily mean price jump.

Dear Helmsman,

The USPS local postage system is different from rest of the word. The international one is 90 cm and < 2kg. To be safe any dimension larger than 87cm would not fit to a packing box. We have asked GWH specially for the dimension before putting up the price. As we guess before the shipping charges would kill the sales because of that few cm length. Especially for those kits with one pc missile (like our Su-33), the internal space even more dense as the protection material inside. And this is the main reason why we reduce 2 sets of missile for Su-33 (only 4 provided, many asked for 6 or 8 missile) to keep the box under 87cm limitation. Because of that "2-3 cm", the consumer need to be pay another USD 20 just because of shipping cost jump from small packet to oversize parcel. And you know we have a 1/24 P-47 which retooled from VFS, where we redesigned the box so it can be shipped under small packet. 

We don't know other retailer approach but as far as I know, we are the only one asking for the package box dimension. 

Regards

Raymond

Hmm, hard to tell but the way exhaust sits in its normal resting position doesnt look quite right;

G6e7YYx.jpg

SJvxDJQ.jpg

6TgV1RY.jpg

Neither them being at enough angle downwards or inwards. But they might be moveable or something?

5 minutes ago, marcinko said:

Berkut, is there any damn kit in this world that gets your seal of approval ? Just curious....

But if it were not for people like Berkut, companies would not listen and try to improve their kits. I do have to admit, when I look at the issues with a kit and realize what I can or cannot correct within my skills, it can get frustrating. But, in the case of the Sukhoi family and Mig family I do like to hear from those who critique.  I do however get a bit annoyed at some who are calling out ZM and their F-4 series. I still cannot see the fault in the fuselage that some are adamant about.

Keep up the good work Berkut and everyone else.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
1 hour ago, marcinko said:

Berkut, is there any damn kit in this world that gets your seal of approval ? Just curious....

Yes, there are dozens of them. DOZENS! :rolleyes:

Since you assume i don't like any kit ever made, i will go ahead and assume you are unable to produce any sort of critical thinking, ever.

There might be no issue whatsoever with the angle of the exhaust. Or there might be, I don't know. If anything i would like there not to be any issues, that would mean the pictures are misleading and the kit is perfectly fine. But once again, people like you are unable to even stomach a question asking whether something is perfect or not.

23 minutes ago, Berkut said:

Since you assume i don't like any kit ever made, i will go ahead and assume you are unable to produce any sort of critical thinking, ever.

There might be no issue whatsoever with the angle of the exhaust. Or there might be, I don't know.

I thought you were smarter, obviously I was wrong.

It`s one thing to analyze critically and a completely different one to be a nitpicker.

Case in point above, you are not even sure there is a problem with the nozzles yet you raised it as an issue........

16 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I have no business with you! If you want to be an idiot and attack me personally because I raised my concerns about the canopy, rather don't try it with me. I have considered this issue to be something of the past and tried to follow this thread with interest. Many members had something to say about this issue but it eventually settled down.. Until you came along and decided to show everybody what an A__ you can be. Just let it go dude!!