1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

2 hours ago, B.Sin said:

This is very poor quality control and engineering. This should have been caught in the beginning. They retooled other kits with  errors, they can do the same here. They should be embarrassed to let such a defect go unchecked. I shouldn't have to putty or  rescribe anyting like that on a new state-of-the-art model. I'm very disappointed!

Word. Panel lines should also be part of quality control or checking....

On 1/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, ya-gabor said:

Sorry to drop in on your conversation. :D  :D  

I can only add what I always say: lets have the kit in hands and make a judgement then!

Till then wanted to share another image of the fuselage. Here is the top of the airframe.

Best regards

Gabor

GWH Su-35S 5 S.jpg

Post from this thread page 7.

If you look carefully, the heavy and large engraved line, just ahead of wings, is already there.

This kit is not yet in my hands, but I know already that:

- At least some , prominentt, panel lines are very large, sloppy, and inconsistent.

- Decals are not how they were supposed to be.

- Dark canopy is not of the color it was supposed to be.

I read often that panel lines are subjective. Maybe is true, but while is easy to enlarge a narrow panel line to narrow a large panel line is far from being easy.

What lessons learned?

1) GWH is quite disappointing in releasing their kit.

2) This thread is little more than marketing.

One last thing.

Remember: Kits like this are expensive, often as expensive as a larger scale kits.

Edited by galfa
3 hours ago, galfa said:

If you look carefully, the heavy and large engraved line, just ahead of wings, is already there. It seems to me that GWH scanned the two upper fuselage half of 1:72 Zvezda Su-27...

Well, even a cursory check shows that the line connecting the two fuselage parts is aligned with the end of the air-brake in the Zvezda kit, unlike here.

Damn, those rivets are awful at those few places. What happened to this kit? Did they change something in the manufacturing process? I mean, at least the intakes seem to fit unlike on the MiG-29 kit, but I don't recall such obvious inconsistency issues.

I wasn't going to get an Su-35 kit anyway, but if they release some other Flanker variants, I hope these issues get fixed by then.

Edited by ijozic

Question was raised about one particular panel line, while others question every single line on the G.W.H Su-35S kit. Here is a view of the area in question. Make your own conclusions.

Fortunately we all have different tastes, different religions, different ways we live and different kits we buy based on our preferences. I can only show details and everyone can make their own decisions. Fortunately it is not a dictatorship where one single person tells everyone else what they should think off, how they should live, what they have to do, what they should buy . . .

RMIwi2x.jpg

I have to add that on the kit surface all sorts of panel lines were reproduced.

- There are simple panel lines where aircraft surface panels join. Mostly associated with rivets.

- There are service panels of different size which are in most cases have either fast locks or screws of different diameter.

- There are overlapping panel lines where appropriate.

- The photo illustrates some of them, where you can compare the line in question with others.

KONeMam.jpg

It is interesting to read about “baby’s hand” deep and wide panels lines in connection with the G.W.H Su-35S kit. I don’t really like to compare kits and did not really want to get into this, but since the question was raised. . .  

Please find below a view of the G.W.H Su-35S kit back with the “Grand Canyon” panel line and for comparison a fin detail from a recent kit by another manufacturer. They are both in the same 48 th scale I should add!

The two parts are on one photo, same lighting conditions so the comparison as real as possible.

QxBza8t.jpg

If we need comparisons of panel lines and surface detailing then here is another recent kit. I would not really like to comment it.

g4fZBU0.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

P. s.  if showing kits, details about them, photos, news is considered by some as HYPE or marketing of a given kit, then I believe forums like this should be banned all together as well as “Build in process” where good and bad points of a kit are shown.

Gabor

i see you take our su-33 part to compare so I think I can share something here as a discussion (with no offence)

the panel line width and crispness is determine by the machining speed, the higher speed the finer the line. As you can see GWH and kinetic su-33 panel line somehow in similar specification. But the only difference is the shinnies on the flat surface part. If the surface is more smooth it makes the line more sharp. But the smooth surface has a trade off on water base paint. It is too smooth to let the primer stick on it. Therefore we also have a discussion to make it less ‘smooth’ and let the panel line look burred a little. But when you put the primer on it will not have difference. 

I guess (I am not sure) GWH May consider this for easier painting. 

But anyway enjoy it, a new Kit is a result of many people effort. 

18 minutes ago, Raymond Chung said:

Gabor

i see you take our su-33 part to compare so I think I can share something here as a discussion (with no offence)

the panel line width and crispness is determine by the machining speed, the higher speed the finer the line. As you can see GWH and kinetic su-33 panel line somehow in similar specification. But the only difference is the shinnies on the flat surface part. If the surface is more smooth it makes the line more sharp. But the smooth surface has a trade off on water base paint. It is too smooth to let the primer stick on it. Therefore we also have a discussion to make it less ‘smooth’ and let the panel line look burred a little. But when you put the primer on it will not have difference. 

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the comment. For me the issue with the Su-33 kit is more the surface! All the shrink marks. Yes it is possible to fill them but then all the panel lines, rivets will go too! I still have it on hold and don’t know when will get around to build due to all the extra work needed with those shrink marks.

It was more about a comparison of detailing and the surface.

Best regards

Gabor

There is no way in hell I would ever say ARC is a Sponsor's forum. Just not true. There has and continues to be a wealth of information and excellent builds from this site and I suspect that will never change. As far as the kit is concerned, I appreciate everyone's work on sharing details and the information from the Chinese sites. That information is very valuable and I think we can agree that the upper fuselage is in need of revision to make it as consistent as the lower fuselage and the rest of the parts trees.

No one  has been forced to purchase this kit, myself included. The social media aspects of the information presented always makes me a bit cautious on what to believe, and as competitive of a marketplace these kits are in, I have no doubt that there may indeed be some information dropped on us consumers which feeds our desire to buy or not to buy.  That information may or may not be fed by competitors in the marketplace as well.

Now, can or will GWH make a new upper fuselage to rectify the issues? I suppose that remains to be seen and will not be known until March when the New Year celebrations come to an end. I do feel that they should respond to our concerns, I mean after all, GWH is NOT Trumpeter.

52 minutes ago, Raymond Chung said:

Gabor

Raymond, as always, you're a stand-up guy. I wish there were more like you in the industry.

3 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

There is no way in hell I would ever say ARC is a Sponsor's forum. Just not true. There has and continues to be a wealth of information and excellent builds from this site and I suspect that will never change. As far as the kit is concerned, I appreciate everyone's work on sharing details and the information from the Chinese sites. That information is very valuable and I think we can agree that the upper fuselage is in need of revision to make it as consistent as the lower fuselage and the rest of the parts trees.

No one  has been forced to purchase this kit, myself included. The social media aspects of the information presented always makes me a bit cautious on what to believe, and as competitive of a marketplace these kits are in, I have no doubt that there may indeed be some information dropped on us consumers which feeds our desire to buy or not to buy.  That information may or may not be fed by competitors in the marketplace as well.

Now, can or will GWH make a new upper fuselage to rectify the issues? I suppose that remains to be seen and will not be known until March when the New Year celebrations come to an end. I do feel that they should respond to our concerns, I mean after all, GWH is NOT Trumpeter.

SUPER WORD !!!

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Well said!

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

i'd have to "quote" that too:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, galfa said:

Post from this thread page 7.

If you look carefully, the heavy and large engraved line, just ahead of wings, is already there.

This kit is not yet in my hands, but I know already that:

- At least some , prominentt, panel lines are very large, sloppy, and inconsistent.

- Decals are not how they were supposed to be.

- Dark canopy is not of the color it was supposed to be.

I read often that panel lines are subjective. Maybe is true, but while is easy to enlarge a narrow panel line to narrow a large panel line is far from being easy.

What lessons learned?

1) GWH is quite disappointing in releasing their kit.

2) This thread is little more than marketing.

One last thing.

Remember: Kits like this are expensive, often as expensive as a larger scale kits.

haha you didn't buy the kit...  share a picture :p

6 hours ago, MoFo said:

God this is so, so dumb.

What he said. :thumbsup:

27 pages of dreams crushed with a single photo of panel lines!  The modeling world has collapsed, Trumpeter/Hobby Boss can not get shapes right, Kitty Hawk can not get their research done correctly, Kinetic is getting better but their rivets are too deep, now GWH the saving grace of the Chinese modeling industry fails to live up to modeler's expectations, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, which Chinese model company is going to step up now and carry the flag of perfection????  Likes I sed, me's gittin, 1 to go wif bofe Kitty Hawk issues.

Fek, I'm still waiting to buy a kettle or toaster made in China that lasts more than 2 years. 

John

3 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

haha you didn't buy the kit...  share a picture :p

This is the same Galfa that wanted to burn down the GWH factory because they didn’t have a pilot figure in their F-15 kit!