1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

I have an AKAN set that starts with 47xxx. It is not lacquer, it is an acrylic.

Scooby, how do the AKAN and MRP paints compare? Are they close? I've been working on a Su-33 and the MRP light grey color is wrong. It is a warm plain Lt. grey and should be a cool Lt. blue grey (this is for the most recent Su-33 colors). The AKAN colors are much closer to the real thing (IMHO). Just wondering if you can see any problem with the MRP paints?

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Scooby, how do the AKAN and MRP paints compare? Are they close? I've been working on a Su-33 and the MRP light grey color is wrong. It is a warm plain Lt. grey and should be a cool Lt. blue grey (this is for the most recent Su-33 colors). The AKAN colors are much closer to the real thing (IMHO). Just wondering if you can see any problem with the MRP paints?

I only have AKAN paints for an Il2 Sturmovic.

I just bought the specific SU-35 MRP paints last night, it sounds like I should have waited. I bought the colours from MRP that they say are specific for the SU-35. All  other MRP paints have been good for me. 

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

I only have AKAN paints for an Il2 Sturmovic.

I just bought the specific SU-35 MRP paints last night, it sounds like I should have waited. I bought the colours from MRP that they say are specific for the SU-35. All  other MRP paints have been good for me. 

Yea, I have the MRP paints too. They look good from what I can see. Would just be interesting to compare them to the colors that AKAN has (not even sure it they have a Su-35s set). When I compared the AKAN Su-33 colors to many photos (I  know the pitfalls of using photos) and read what I could on some Russian sites, their colors were pretty spot on. The MRP colors were very close except for the light grey, as mentioned above.

39 minutes ago, flybywire said:

Are the color callouts for this kit  reliable & 100% correct, I'm referring to the Mr. Color paints, or do we still have to  go  out of our way to do our own research?

The Mr. Color camo callouts call for mixing 2 or 3 different colors, i.e. no Mr. Color direct matches for the camo colors. You'd have to get the colors, do the mixing and see for yourself. Unless I find some problem, I plan on using MRP paints.

5 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

That Academy Kit should not be in the same photo. It is by far the most inaccurate and out of scale Flanker kit available.

I do not see the reason. These are the photos of the Flankers I own. Right or wrong are those I have.

1 hour ago, Raptor71 said:

I do not see the reason. These are the photos of the Flankers I own. Right or wrong are those I have.

No problem. I was only attempting to clarify what a poor Kit Academy produced back in the early 1990's. I can't believe it is still being sold.

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

The Mr. Color camo callouts call for mixing 2 or 3 different colors, i.e. no Mr. Color direct matches for the camo colors. You'd have to get the colors, do the mixing and see for yourself. Unless I find some problem, I plan on using MRP paints.

Okay. Thanks for the tip!

It was $11 or $13, what ever was set during the preorder (small packet air). Once they got the kits they had to bump the same shipping option up to $30 something, although they did honor the lower shipping value for those who did preorder.  Kind of wish I'd have done 2 preorders, now that I've seen the kit ; )

4 hours ago, Gary F said:

Kind of wish I'd have done 2 preorders, now that I've seen the kit ; )

I order two. One from HobbyEasy and one from HobbySearch. Got the cheaper kit price and shipping with HobbyEasy and paid through the nose at HobbySearch (though it was fast delivery). Wish I had just bought two at HobbyEasy. But, I'm happy. I have two very nice looking kits ;-)

Edited by Mstor

I have just recieved my Su-35.
The kit is really nice, maybe even beautiful, but has got some strange and unnecessary  minor issues (I mean: issues which could be easily avoided):
- strange few shallow, wide and even declining panel lines in the area of hull spine
- almost all clear parts except canopy parts and glass cover of targeting pod, are just matt, tarnished not polished
- both canopies (clear and tinted) have got very long, visible scratch (I hope this is not a fracture), both in the same place
- very strange instruction manual made of few loose, single and bent sheets
- correction card fixing many instruction manual issues
- decals are rather average quality, especially with unreadable some stencils (I think Cartograf could be nice choice in future).

This kit is really fine kit, but I hoped to get something noticeably better then Kinetic Su-33 or GWH MiG-29 SMT.

On 01/03/2018 at 10:48 PM, Solo said:

I have just recieved my Su-35.
The kit is really nice, maybe even beautiful, but has got some strange and unnecessary  minor issues (I mean: issues which could be easily avoided):
- strange few shallow, wide and even declining panel lines in the area of hull spine
- almost all clear parts except canopy parts and glass cover of targeting pod, are just matt, tarnished not polished
- both canopies (clear and tinted) have got very long, visible scratch (I hope this is not a fracture), both in the same place
- very strange instruction manual made of few loose, single and bent sheets
- correction card fixing many instruction manual issues
- decals are rather average quality, especially with unreadable some stencils (I think Cartograf could be nice choice in future).

This kit is really fine kit, but I hoped to get something noticeably better then Kinetic Su-33 or GWH MiG-29 SMT.

I agree for most of your concerns except the canopies crack not visible on mine.

I also spot a strange molding effect on the C sprue. One of the MLG tyre seems to be molded in a strange way.

Can someone confirm the same issue on his kit (see picture)?

Yellow color is not aligned on my decals sheet...

I feel some mixed feeling for this 99,9% beautiful kit.

FastStoneEditor2.bmp

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 6:25 AM, Mstor said:

Yea, I have the MRP paints too. They look good from what I can see. Would just be interesting to compare them to the colors that AKAN has (not even sure it they have a Su-35s set). When I compared the AKAN Su-33 colors to many photos (I  know the pitfalls of using photos) and read what I could on some Russian sites, their colors were pretty spot on. The MRP colors were very close except for the light grey, as mentioned above.

Be the judge for yourself

yak130wip-17-XL.jpg

Light blue could be usable, the blue-grey, maybe slightly lightened as well, but instead of Blue, we get a light grey which is not present on new RuAF camo! Also, the blue-grey is labeled as blue, which is quite misleading...

56 minutes ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

I agree for most of your concerns except the canopies crack not visible on mine.

Here you can find this crack/scratch on my canopy (there is the same on tinted one too):

4ZMY1q9.jpg

I believe you can find it on yours when you look carefully, over black background.

i've just look closely to my clear parts, and they also got the same scratch/crack on both canopies, at the very same place...  hope it is more a scratch than a crack... it's hard to tell.

3 hours ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

I also spot a strange molding effect on the C sprue. One of the MLG tyre seems to be molded in a strange way.

Can someone confirm the same issue on his kit (see picture)?

Yellow color is not aligned on my decals sheet...

I feel some mixed feeling for this 99,9% beautiful kit.

FastStoneEditor2.bmp

I'm just wondering why the all-praise GWH MiG-29 could not be repeated or even improved further..........

Few comparisons GWH vs. KittyHawk (GWH parts are on the rigth or down on those pictures).

Main gear wheel bay (without side walls):

0NfC5rt.jpg

Area of back spine:

SK5WaHb.jpg

Vertical fin:

RtqSmmZ.jpg

Nose gear wheel bay:

Qt9RG7Q.jpg

Wheels (KH has got additional PE's for main wheels):

ejseof5.jpg

Area of cockpit (GWH has few additional parts here):

3EsVBm6.jpg

Exhaust nozzle (KH has got inner part, not on this picture):

3v1TJF2.jpg

Edited by Solo
4 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Be the judge for yourself

yak130wip-17-XL.jpg

Light blue could be usable, the blue-grey, maybe slightly lightened as well, but instead of Blue, we get a light grey which is not present on new RuAF camo! Also, the blue-grey is labeled as blue, which is quite misleading...

When you say "but instead of Blue, we get a light grey". I am not sure which of the actual Su-35 colors you are referring to. To my eye, there is a lightish grey in the current Su-35 scheme which is close to the light grey on your model (maybe a bit to purplish but that could be just your photo). In the photos the light blue on your model would be the overall color on the Su-35. In which case it seems maybe a little too dark. I agree that the  blue grey should be lightened (if you are referring to the darker blue color). Note I have a photo of what appears to be a newly painted Su-35 and the grey does appear to be darker there (unfortunately it is too big to post here).

I will have to go paint samples of my MRP Su-35 colors and see how they compare.

su35top.jpg.71196c548e16789dce42180f36d825ad.jpg

I dont think that is actually either crack or a scratch. It is quite possibly a flow issue with the plastic.

I dont think anyone but me ever noticed it (or atleast ever wrote on ARC) - but AMK MiG-31 canopy had that issue too with a very thin line. It was/is a plastic flow issue and apparently a bit complex to fix.