1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

Just now, Berkut said:

I dont think that is actually either crack or a scratch. It is quite possibly a flow issue with the plastic.

I dont think anyone but me ever noticed it (or atleast ever wrote on ARC) - but AMK MiG-31 canopy had that issue too with a very thin line. It was/is a plastic flow issue and apparently a bit complex to fix.

can it be sanded off and polished?

4 hours ago, Solo said:

Here you can find this crack/scratch on my canopy (there is the same on tinted one too):

4ZMY1q9.jpg

I believe you can find it on yours when you look carefully, over black background.

Oops i missed it.

After a carefull check, i found them on both too. 

58 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Perhaps it's a weld line rather ? If so there's no workaround.

In case of MiG-31 issue it was specifically a flow issue. Same story with Airfix EE Lightnings. Chances are - this is flow issue too.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Few comparisons GWH vs. KittyHawk (GWH parts are on the rigth or down on those pictures).

Main gear wheel bay (without side walls):

0NfC5rt.jpg

Area of back spine:

SK5WaHb.jpg

Vertical fin:

RtqSmmZ.jpg

Nose gear wheel bay:

Qt9RG7Q.jpg

Wheels (KH has got additional PE's for main wheels):

ejseof5.jpg

Area of cockpit (GWH has few additional parts here):

3EsVBm6.jpg

Exhaust nozzle (KH has got inner part, not on this picture):

3v1TJF2.jpg

This is GREAT! Can you share more comparison? Decals, missiles, pylons, canopies and overall dimensions? 

1 hour ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

Oops i missed it.

After a carefull check, i found them on both too. 

Mine too, both. Looks looks like a flow line. Definitely a manufacturing defect. Well GWH, any comment?

1 hour ago, foxmulder_ms said:

This is GREAT! Can you share more comparison? Decals, missiles, pylons, canopies and overall dimensions? 

Could you please not quote the post with all the pictures in it?

3 hours ago, Berkut said:

I dont think that is actually either crack or a scratch. It is quite possibly a flow issue with the plastic.

I dont think anyone but me ever noticed it (or atleast ever wrote on ARC) - but AMK MiG-31 canopy had that issue too with a very thin line. It was/is a plastic flow issue and apparently a bit complex to fix.

I had so many such issues, on canopies/windshields of A-10A Hobby Boss, Tamiya F-16C (every kit), F-14A, Hobby Boss F-14A, Aires EE Lightning, Academy F-4 and few more.
Regarding the windshield of A-10A HB, I tried to polish it - and I think that was  fracture, not scratch (it became more pronounced when I polished it).

Wow, those comparison photos are really painful to watch. Those kits are not in the same league, detail wise. Plus the overly emphasized rivets on the KH kit..

I do hope GWH will release the other Flanker variants.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Be my guest.

Canopies:

jDgQW01.jpg

R-27ER:

ncLKFno.jpg

Pylons:

YtO8oPE.jpg

Inlets:

2DABlRq.jpg

Decals:

KQh6Kxn.jpg

On 3/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, Mstor said:

When you say "but instead of Blue, we get a light grey". I am not sure which of the actual Su-35 colors you are referring to. To my eye, there is a lightish grey in the current Su-35 scheme which is close to the light grey on your model (maybe a bit to purplish but that could be just your photo). In the photos the light blue on your model would be the overall color on the Su-35. In which case it seems maybe a little too dark. I agree that the  blue grey should be lightened (if you are referring to the darker blue color). Note I have a photo of what appears to be a newly painted Su-35 and the grey does appear to be darker there (unfortunately it is too big to post here).

I will have to go paint samples of my MRP Su-35 colors and see how they compare.

su35top.jpg.71196c548e16789dce42180f36d825ad.jpg

I have made some small paint samples of the MRP Su-35 colors. The pics were taken using my phone so I apologize for the poor quality. The first pic was taken using the phone's default color setting. I got the hue correct but the color contrast and intensity are exaggerated.

20180305_171352(1)

You can see that the colors very closely match the actual pic of the Su-35s above. This second photo has the color intensity and contrast adjusted to more accurately represent the actual samples (sorry about the focus).

20180305_171635_Film2(1)

To me the MRP paints are a bit too light, they lack in intensity and contrast, especially MRP 296 and 298. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by Mstor
13 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Hi,

I've just received my kit with both wingtip pylons missing form the sprues...  :hmmm:If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction about how to get replacements from GWH, I'll appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance!

Was this a short shot or are they just plain old missing? If it is the latter that is odd.

16 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Hi,

I've just received my kit with both wingtip pylons missing form the sprues...  :hmmm:If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction about how to get replacements from GWH, I'll appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the kit (or work in that scale or know much about Russian aircraft) but just by looking at this thread and the in progress thread it is pretty clear that the kit doesn't have any wingtip pylons because it provides some sort of pods that go on the wingtips (Gabor puts the pods together on page 2 of his "in progress" thread) .......

Edited by RCAFFAN
8 hours ago, Mstor said:

I have made some small paint samples of the MRP Su-35 colors. The pics were taken using my phone so I apologize for the poor quality. The first pic was taken using the phone's default color setting. I got the hue correct but the color contrast and intensity are exaggerated.

You can see that the colors very closely match the actual pic of the Su-35s above. This second photo has the color intensity and contrast adjusted to more accurately represent the actual samples (sorry about the focus).

To me the MRP paints are a bit too light, they lack in intensity and contrast, especially MRP 296 and 298. Back to the drawing board.

OK, need to clarify something here. I just found out that the colors Sebastian used on his Yak were, in fact, the MRP colors, not AKAN colors, which I misunderstood them to be. We have been taking about the same thing.

So, has anyone used AKAN paints to do Su-35s in the current camo scheme? I checked on the AKAN site and there does not appear to be a specific Su-35s paint set. The two Su-27sm sets appear close. Just trying to find the right paints that are close enough.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

So, has anyone used AKAN paints to do Su-35s in the current camo scheme?

I've almost finished the 1/72nd Hasegawa Su-35S - and used the AKAN Su-27 paints.

I'll take more pics when it is finished - but here it is alongside the Modelsvit T10 in the same colours.....Judge for yourself ....

T10_057.jpg

Ken

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

This could be a scale effect. To my eyes (I have the same paints on hand) they're fine. Personally, I think we waste too much time looking for the "exact match" in our hobby. Weathering et.al will always impact the final look and in many cases close enough is good enough.