1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

5 hours ago, Raptor71 said:

I believe that the problem is due to the fact that the transparency has different thicknesses. 

No.  The thickness is standard (required) on any omega-shaped part; you wouldn't be able to extract the part from the mold core if it had curved, undercut geometry.  The thicker walls could potentially lead to sink marks, but they won't cause flow marks.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, MoFo said:

No. Lo spessore è standard (richiesto) su qualsiasi parte a forma di Omega; non sarebbe in grado di estrarre la parte dal nucleo dello stampo se fosse curvo, sottosquadro geometria. Le pareti più spesse potrebbero condurre potenzialmente ai contrassegni del dispersore, ma non causeranno i contrassegni di flusso.

the point is that there are those lines. if my hypothesis or yours are right or wrong, they do not solve the problem.  The only solution is a substitution with parts that show the defect not

Edited by Raptor71
1 hour ago, MoFo said:

No.  The thickness is standard (required) on any omega-shaped part; you wouldn't be able to extract the part from the mold core if it had curved, undercut geometry.  The thicker walls could potentially lead to sink marks, but they won't cause flow marks.

From the site that was linked in a previous post (thank you Laurent), bolded text done by me (used for educational purposes only):

"Flow Lines

Description: Flow lines are streaks, patterns, or lines - commonly off-toned in color - that show up on the prototype part as a consequence of the physical path and cooling profile of the molten plastic as it flows into the injection mold tooling cavity. Injection molded plastic begins its journey through the part tooling via an entry section called a “gate.” It then flows through the tool cavity and cools (eventually hardening into a solid).

Causes: Flow line defects are caused by the varying speed at which the molten plastic flows as it changes direction through the contours and bends inside the mold tool. They also occur when the plastic flows through sections with varying wall thickness, or when the injection speed is too low causing the plastic to solidify at different speeds.

Remedies:

1. Increase injection speeds and pressure to the optimal level, which will ensure the cavities are filled properly (while not allowing the molten plastic time to start cooling in the wrong spot). The temperature of the molten plastic or the mold itself can also be elevated to ensure the plastic does not cool down sufficiently to cause the defect.

1. Round corners and locations where the wall thickness changes to avoid sudden changes in direction and flow rate.

1. Locate the gate at a spot in the tool cavity with thin walls."

Now, will we see replacement canopies? I doubt it. As Solo said, this is a common problem with injection molded kits. Many kit canopies exhibit this problem. Its also common in the non-clear parts, but it isn't an issue there. Nope I think we will just have to soldier on bravely. I would be very happy to be proven wrong though.

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, mingwin said:

let's now just hope Haneto come back to us with some vacform canopy for the GWH Su-35S ...kind of like what he did for the Academy Su-27... 

My god, that would be so ironic...

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

From the site that was linked in a previous post (thank you Laurent), bolded text done by me (used for educational purposes only):

"Flow Lines

Description: Flow lines are streaks, patterns, or lines - commonly off-toned in color - that show up on the prototype part as a consequence of the physical path and cooling profile of the molten plastic as it flows into the injection mold tooling cavity. Injection molded plastic begins its journey through the part tooling via an entry section called a “gate.” It then flows through the tool cavity and cools (eventually hardening into a solid).

Causes: Flow line defects are caused by the varying speed at which the molten plastic flows as it changes direction through the contours and bends inside the mold tool. They also occur when the plastic flows through sections with varying wall thickness, or when the injection speed is too low causing the plastic to solidify at different speeds.

Remedies:

1. Increase injection speeds and pressure to the optimal level, which will ensure the cavities are filled properly (while not allowing the molten plastic time to start cooling in the wrong spot). The temperature of the molten plastic or the mold itself can also be elevated to ensure the plastic does not cool down sufficiently to cause the defect.

1. Round corners and locations where the wall thickness changes to avoid sudden changes in direction and flow rate.

1. Locate the gate at a spot in the tool cavity with thin walls."

Now, will we see replacement canopies? I doubt it. As Solo said, this is a common problem with injection molded kits. Many kit canopies exhibit this problem. Its also common in the non-clear parts, but it isn't an issue there. Nope I think we will just have to soldier on bravely. I would be very happy to be proven wrong though.

Tamiya F-16s have this problem, and they are the best in the business and know how to produce kits. It can't be a simple fix if even Tamiya can't eliminate it.

55 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Tamiya F-16s have this problem, and they are the best in the business and know how to produce kits. It can't be a simple fix if even Tamiya can't eliminate it.

I guess I had better check my Tamiya kits in the stash! I'm sure Sprue Bros will not be happy to find this.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
9 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I guess I had better check my Tamiya kits in the stash! I'm sure Sprue Bros will not be happy to find this.

Think of it this way, the Tamiya F-16 has been out for ages. And only now people are realizing that swirl is there only because they were told in a discussion forum.

On all kits, it is hard to notice.

37 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Why?  Sprue Brothers isn’t going to provide replacement parts if this is just a byproduct of how the kits are made.  No one has made a big issue out of this since the kit came out 13 years ago.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
5 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Scratched canopy on your Flanker?

Easy fix..........:whistle:

Ken

Does someone make an aftermarket tarp covered Su-35s? I'm too lazy to scratch build it :foof:

15 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Why?  Sprue Brothers isn’t going to provide replacement parts if this is just a byproduct of how the kits are made.  No one has made a big issue out of this since the kit came out 13 years ago.  

Steve

Steve I should have been more specific...I meant SB will not be happy regarding the GWH kit coming in with canopy flaw. It's a new product and they'll have to deal with the complaints. I was being a tad facetious.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
20 hours ago, Scooby said:

Think of it this way, the Tamiya F-16 has been out for ages. And only now people are realizing that swirl is there only because they were told in a discussion forum.

On all kits, it is hard to notice.

It was pointed out when the kit was released. There was an equally large amount of hand wringing over it at the time, as this is now. I can't remember how or if it was resolved. 

As Solo pointed out the Hobby Boss A-10 has one in front windscreen centre panel as well.. Annoying but nothing you ca n do about it

11 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Steve I should have been more specific...I meant SB will not be happy regarding the GWH kit coming in with canopy flaw. It's a new product and they'll have to deal with the complaints. I was being a tad facetious.

Ok, I gotchya now.  

1 hour ago, BoeingDriver said:

The kit is now available @Sprue Brothers.  $79.

The pic they have posted does not show the two canopies in the corner nor does the description mention it. I would think it does include it, but why not advertise it?

13 minutes ago, Mstor said:

The pic they have posted does not show the two canopies in the corner nor does the description mention it. I would think it does include it, but why not advertise it?

The dual set of canopies was a first-run only thing IIRC, maybe these are second-run kits? 

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Idk.  I just said it was now available.

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Was someone asking about bomb pylons?

I've never heard of this company but they have some cool stuff:    http://www.amigomodels.ru/product-category/advanced-modeling/148/

Their products are available from time to time on eBay. I have the AMIGO exhaust nozzles for the Su-33. Very nice castings (haven't assembled or installed them yet). Really a nice looking line of items. Wish they had English translation.