1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

Business is business! 

Only because someone made one somewhere, all the other players should be banned from doing the same???

I dont think so. 

This is business!

Winners should be modellers where they have a choice. Remember all manufacturers do their kits according to their own taste (weapons, wing configuration, break down, detailing . . .), so does Tamiya, AMK and now G.W.H as well. Why not???

This is not a world wide cartel where kit manufactureres sit down every year for an anual meeting to divide the market and say you do this, I do that . . .

It could be a waste of time and money, where say G.W.H should do something that others dont do and produce a good kit. But I dont hear anyone asking questions why another manufacturer is starting work on the 100th Mustang, Phantom or Me-109. That is also a waste of production talent!

I am sure each kit will have its pros and cons and everyone will have a choice.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Business is business! 

Only because someone made one somewhere, all the other players should be banned from doing the same???

I dont think so. 

This is business!

Winners should be modellers where they have a choice. Remember all manufacturers do their kits according to their own taste (weapons, wing configuration, break down, detailing . . .), so does Tamiya, AMK and now G.W.H as well. Why not???

This is not a world wide cartel where kit manufactureres sit down every year for an anual meeting to divide the market and say you do this, I do that . . .

It could be a waste of time and money, where say G.W.H should do something that others dont do and produce a good kit. But I dont hear anyone asking questions why another manufacturer is starting work on the 100th Mustang, Phantom or Me-109. That is also a waste of production talent!

I am sure each kit will have its pros and cons and everyone will have a choice.

Best regards

Gabor

I hope this rant was not directed at me Gabor.

2 hours ago, SebastianP said:

Thank you Matt, that puts a few things into perspective for sure. Also, after having reviewed the instructions for the Begemot decals, it looks like all of them are primarily for the early examples with the flare launchers on top of the stinger rather than the configuration that GWH offers, so I'd essentially have to use the kit instructions as my guide for the airframe specific markings anyway...

It'll be a year or so before I have to worry about the decals anyway though, at the planned pace for the construction of this thing. 🙂

I think Begemot just used the same line drawing for all the camo schemes in their Su-35 instructions. I may be wrong, but I don't think all the schemes shown in the decals instructions are for early Su-35s. Many are definitely production aircraft. Andrey, If you're watching this, can you answer?

I don't think that anybody is dissapointed that GWH makes another Tomcat.

There is never enought good kits of F-14, and I believe that GWH's one will be one of the best on market.

But it is really pity, that such excellent modeling company makes new kit of so hackneyed aircraft (I mean number of new kits in last very few years, not aircraft as such).

There are so many desirable planes that could be welcomed, so understand our dissapointment, that this time there will be another Tomcat, not something more unusual but so much anticipated.

Edited by Solo

I agree with Solo. While there is always room for another good F-14, there are so many other subjects begging to be modeled and ones that I think would sell good. A new Su-25 would certainly sell well in Europe. An accurate Mig-23 and 27. I'd buy all of them.

Edited by Mstor
7 hours ago, Solo said:

Frankly said I believe GWH will issue F-14D or B, after A.

They probably will overtake AMK. 🙂

With the exception of their kit quality, I've never had anything nice or good to say about AMK. But now, I'm really starting to feel bad for them. Hopefully they'll get whatever it is straightened out. 

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I agree with Solo. While there is always room for another good F-14, there are so many other subjects begging to be modeled and ones that I think would sell good. A new Su-25 would certainly sell well in Europe. An accurate Mig-23 and 27. I'd buy all of them.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Or a new quality A-10, a complete Su-27/30/33 series......I could go on and on.......

I don't think this is really the thread for posting wishlists and complaining about other kits. Let's stick to the actual topic, please?

Such as, what are *the* most important things to remember while building this beastie?

So far, I have the following on my "must buy" list:

1 - a package of assorted metal colors (for the exhausts and engine access panels)

2 - a package of assorted clear colors (for weathering of the above)

3 - the kit-specific masking set

Optional extras:

4 - Begemot decal sheet

5 - Mr Paint Su-35S set (to replace Ammo MIG set)

6 - 1 mm round neodymium magnets

Is there anything else kit-specific I should be getting that I wouldn't find in my general paintbox from a decade of building NATO jets? Is there a pilot figure available that'll fit the kit seat? Is the full Eduard set with the three PE frets and masks worth getting?

6 hours ago, SebastianP said:

I don't think this is really the thread for posting wishlists and complaining about other kits. Let's stick to the actual topic, please?

Such as, what are *the* most important things to remember while building this beastie?

So far, I have the following on my "must buy" list:

1 - a package of assorted metal colors (for the exhausts and engine access panels)

2 - a package of assorted clear colors (for weathering of the above)

3 - the kit-specific masking set

Optional extras:

4 - Begemot decal sheet

5 - Mr Paint Su-35S set (to replace Ammo MIG set)

6 - 1 mm round neodymium magnets

Is there anything else kit-specific I should be getting that I wouldn't find in my general paintbox from a decade of building NATO jets? Is there a pilot figure available that'll fit the kit seat? Is the full Eduard set with the three PE frets and masks worth getting?

I for one would like to know where the "stretched sponge" comes from. And, do not forget the Tamiya weathering powders (always good to have on hand anyway).

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think Begemot just used the same line drawing for all the camo schemes in their Su-35 instructions. I may be wrong, but I don't think all the schemes shown in the decals instructions are for early Su-35s. Many are definitely production aircraft. Andrey, If you're watching this, can you answer?

Exactly, we made our work a little lazy, but all of modelers have hawkeyes, they traning in were small objects detection.

It is very easy if we have vector type draws, which made from 3D, but in case with Su-35, one of my employees made this draws by white list, so she made first markings scheme and then just copy this sides to all other.

Edited by kotey

Admittedly, I can only compare such things to photographs, and not the real thing, but regarding MRP Su-35 set, I think it has some issues. I sprayed sample swatches and compared them to a good number of photos, and the MRP colors were all incorrect for an In-Service aircraft. I ended up buying the AKAN lacquers specific to the 35, and did the same comparison. "MUCH" closer match to the photos. I ended up mixing a considerable amount of white into the MRP light blue (to match the AKAN version) for the overall camo, as there is such a lot to cover, and used the AKAN gray and dark blue.

FWIW...

M

Edited by Matt Walker
2 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

Admittedly, I can only compare such things to photographs, and not the real thing, but regarding MRP Su-35 set, I think it has some issues. I sprayed sample swatches and compared them to a good number of photos, and the MRP colors were all incorrect for an In-Service aircraft. I ended up buying the AKAN lacquers specific to the 35, and did the same comparison. "MUCH" closer match to the photos. I ended up mixing a considerable amount of white into the MRP light blue (to match the AKAN version) for the overall camo, as there is such a lot to cover, and used the AKAN gray and dark blue.

FWIW...

M

Thanks, I have the MRP paints, but think I'll get AKAN's too now and compare them. The MRP paints looked OK to me when I painted some samples, but I know AKAN usually matches to factory samples (makes them a bit too dark at times, scale effect or whatever).

1 hour ago, nikosmeta said:

I have information that a new set for the su-35 will be ready from AKAN in a month or so both in laquer and acrylic

Why? I thought that set 47332 (lacquer range) was the correct colors for the standard camo used on Su-27 and Su-35S aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

While at the Plasticova Zima Yesterdy in Bratislava I did ask the Aires guys about the Su-35S “Correct Radome”  but they were not too happy and anyway they are “just employees selling the products”, not making decisions. “You should ask” the ones in the know.

lXyByMI.jpg

A Lady kindly lent her hand for this photo to compare the G.W.H nose to the “correction nose” by Aires.

K9frOYJ.jpg

As far as the shape goes not much (none) difference so only adding the lightning strips to the outside as raised detail, and a very strong raised line that is!

I can only say:

Having had a very close look (from about 10 centimetres) of the original Su-35S nose cone in Russia and a real feel of it with my hands, I can state that the lightning strip is sunk into the nosecone surface!

Still would be interested to hear from Aires what is it exactly that they mean under

Correct Radome”.

It is never late to learn from others. Maybe they know something? I will contact them directly, received a mail address and name. I know some Czech modellers also tried in the past to ask them this question. Who knows? I will report on developments.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor your point is clear. They working for Aires and you working for GWH. Thats obvious. Like you also doing big PR for Master with WWI machine gun in jet airplane thread. Every Aires nose which left unsold, you get more candys from GWH??! That is pointless.

29 minutes ago, mario krijan said:

Gabor your point is clear. They working for Aires and you working for GWH. Thats obvious. Like you also doing big PR for Master with WWI machine gun in jet airplane thread. Every Aires nose which left unsold, you get more candys from GWH??! That is pointless.

If someone builds a kit, a set is that an advertising / promotion of a given company????

Don’t think so.

If I (or anyone) do a Hasegawa (or whichever company) F-16 (or whichever aircraft type) and share the work here in a build, is that marketing for Hasegawa (or whichever company)??? Will I (or anyone) get something from Hasegawa for sharing photos on a modelling forum??

I don’t think so.

(If yes please tell me how, I would be happy!) :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

As for G.W.H for me the Su-35S design was a one-off affair with them. I haven’t been in contact with anyone related to G.W.H for about a year. So??

As I have said before, I would simply want to know what we did wrong in design with the G.W.H kit. Maybe the boys at Aires know something. I am interested and curious! It was my work and as such I am interested in its afterlife! It is as simple as that.

Best regards

Gabor

Still would be interested to hear from Aires what is it exactly that they mean under

Correct Radome”.

Perhaps what they mean is that Sukhoi got the radome wrong on the actual Su-35 and that they should correct it to more closely resemble the Quickboost one? :hmmm:

36 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

As I have said before, I would simply want to know what we did wrong in design with the G.W.H kit. Maybe the boys at Aires know something. I am interested and curious! It was my work and as such I am interested in its afterlife! It is as simple as that.

Best regards

Gabor

The way Aires/QB/AB choose and deal with the subject of their products, is a conundrum.

I personnaly gave up Aires cockpits and wheels bays, too much work, too few gain/ scratchbuild.

Although their exhausts are great.

Many QB products simply don't make sense, like this correct Su-35 radome.

Otherwise they've got excellent resin parts, but you really need to fight to fit them in the kit.

Aerobonus got few gems and  a plethora of products I've never seen people buy and in exhibitions.

I really don't understand their way, it really seems as if they simply don't care.