1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

1 hour ago, shion said:

The way Aires/QB/AB choose and deal with the subject of their products, is a conundrum.

Them and Eduard. I think they use Runes or Tarot cause I certainly can't figure it out.

I did write yesterday to Aires / Quickboost  (to one of the managers who’s business card was given to me by the boys at the Aires stand at Plastikova Zima) with my inquire concerning the “Correct Radome” for G.W.H in 48 th scale kit.

The essence is:

„. . . it would be interesting to know what mistakes I made in design, so that I can learn and next time do a better job

If I get any reply will share it so that others can learn as well.

Best regards

Gabor

Sweet Lord.

I don't understand one thing. Aires issued this resin radome, no one need to buy it. You informed us that this part is very unnecessary and I think nobody would mind.

I believe this is aftermarket I don't need, kit's part is better and it is enought.

So why do you start this crusade against Aires and this part? This resin is manufactured, it is available, and nobody need to have it, but if someone wants, that is also ok.

I do believe it could be better if you use your energy to finish your beautiful Su-35 model, instead fight with Aires about, frankly said, nothing. 🙂

13 minutes ago, Solo said:

Sweet Lord.

I don't understand one thing. Aires issued this resin radome, no one need to buy it. You informed us that this part is very unnecessary and I think nobody would mind.

I believe this is aftermarket I don't need, kit's part is better and it is enought.

So why do you start this crusade against Aires and this part? This resin is manufactured, it is available, and nobody need to have it, but if someone wants, that is also ok.

I do believe it could be better if you use your energy to finish your beautiful Su-35 model, instead fight with Aires about, frankly said, nothing. 🙂

Dear Solo,

Honestly, I am astonished by your post.

Gabor argument is solid. He just wants to learn from mistakes. He is not crusading.

About you, please do not forget that our hobby is - scale - modelling.

Do you still remember whar - scale - is about ?

I think Gabor writes about this resin radome so many times that it looks very strange for me.

I understand that he believes this is really redundant aftermarket, so I do believe.

But why to write about it over and over again? For me it is strange, just strange.
But ok, this is free country and free Internet, you can write what you ever want, no offence.

Hi Solo,

It is not a crusade, I just went up to the maker and want to learn from them what I did wrong.

What is more interesting for me is that this Su-35S kit is in someway part of my work / research and I am interested in its after life, what happens to it, what people think about it, what other manufacturers do to make it more complete or better. . .

Since in a way the kit is my WORK I feel responsible for what and how I did it and just as during development I share what I see. I know many manufacturers don’t give a sxxxt what happens with a kit after it is released (as long as it makes a lot of money).

I feel a bit different about my work.

That is all.

As to the Su-35 kit, thanks for asking. Work on the actual model is on, just as with few others in parallel. I don’t think it is a race where one needs to be the first to finish it, or finish it for a certain competition. . .  This hobby for me is about having fun and building what I like at my own pace, no constrains, no deadlines. There is absolutely no plan to take it to shows, to competitions, to compete against others, to try to persuade judges with this or that gimmick on it . . .

For years (decades) I was building kits (writing reviews), building models, structural models  month after month for publications all around the world, or for customers, companies, it was hard work and I had enough of it.   :wacko:  :wacko:

All this is now just for fun.

Also my collection /museum now needs a lot of attention so in many cases it is more about 1 to 1 scale modelling at the moment. :D  :winkgrin: :D  :winkgrin: 

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Gabor, I believe you know that resin aftermarkets not always correct kit's misshapes/mistakes.

Sometimes manufacter just makes resins which looks better then kit's part: look at resin cockpits or wheel bays.

Sometimes, but rather seldom, Aires produces parts that are just unnecessary (not correcting and not better then kit's part), and this radome probably is one of those things. 🙂

This is whole story, nothing more I suppose.

Edited by Solo

I believe what Gabor is trying to say is that by releasing a "correction nose", the AM manufacturer is implying that something is wrong with the nose on the kit. If it is, then it would be good to know what's wrong with it, especially since he was involved in designing the kit.

On the other hand, if the AM part just mimics the kit's nose, it might deceive the consumer into: (i) believing the GWH is wrong and therefore not buying it; or (ii) deceiving the consumer into thinking there is something wrong with the GWH, buying it and also spending money on an aftermarket part that was not needed to begin with. I know many of us just buy whatever aftermarket exists for a certain model, not checking if it's truly needed, instead of saving the money for other things, model-related or not. To be honest, I believe oniomania is very present in some of us, to some extent.

Having said this, I didn't have the chance to compare the AM part with the GWH part. Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, Solo said:

Gabor, I believe you know that resin aftermarkets not always correct kit's misshapes/mistakes.

Sometimes manufacter just makes resins which looks better then kit's part: look at resin cockpits or wheel bays.

Sometimes, but rather seldom, Aires produces parts that are just unnecessary (not correcting and not better then kit's part), and this radome probably is one of those things. 🙂

This is whole story, nothing more I suppose.

Aires is not the only company that does this, I could name others for certain. I think in most cases they are preying on "AMS"  (Advanced Modeller Syndrome). That seems to be the case with the Su-35s.

4 hours ago, madcow said:

To be honest, I believe oniomania is very present in some of us, to some extent. 

I take great offense at being called an onionman. I am not and never have been in any way related to the onion. Quite beneath my station. Harrumph! You, Sir, may take your onions and leave this swimming pool forthwith! :naughty:

Seriously, learned a new word today. Thanks madcow!

I agree. I believe Aires/QB are just trying to take advantage of those that will just buy the thing, thinking that there MUST be something wrong, otherwise why would Aires/QB make a replacement part. I found myself thinking about getting it when it first came out. Thankfully, I thought twice and waited.

If anyone is planning to build a Chinese Su-35 here are some nice details from the flight line in a Chinese TV program.

For the sharp eyed modellers there are some details, including some missing in the kit but also some interesting things in the background worth making a note off.   B)   :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=489&v=NCbbJsTdNxY

Best regards

Gabor

11 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

If anyone is planning to build a Chinese Su-35 here are some nice details from the flight line in a Chinese TV program.

For the sharp eyed modellers there are some details, including some missing in the kit but also some interesting things in the background worth making a note off.   B)   :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=489&v=NCbbJsTdNxY

Best regards

Gabor

Great high res pics of Chinese Su-35. Thanks!

Edited by Mstor

Sorry,

1. don’t have any power,

2. don’t have any connection to them as I told before for more than a year now. The G.W.H Su-35S was a one-off affair. It was good, it was fun, it was a hell of a lot of work and lot of fight for details but it was then in the past. And now is now.

Sorry! Can’t help with this!

Best regards

Gabor