1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

Reading your post again, these were not Russian Air Force.

Then they were not new build airframes, like you claimed. The entire Ulyanovsk production has gone to the Russian Air Force, and they also have further orders but all from military customers:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2015-08-21/russian-air-force-looks-forward-first-il-76md-90-deliveries

There is an intention for them to start production of the civilian Il-76TD-90A at Aviastar/Ulyanovsk, but nothing has rolled off the floor yet.

http://www.aviastar-sp.ru/en/press_center/company_news/3107/

The civilian aircraft with PS-90 engines operated by Volga-Dnepr are the Il-76TD-90VD, the first of which was completed in 2005 and the last in 2012, but these were older airframes from the Voronezh production plant and the Il-76TD-90A will have a host of upgrades that did not form part of the Il-76TD-90VD upgrades. In fact, the Il-76TD-90VDs are pretty much simply re-engined Il-76TDs with a few improvements to the cockpit. CEIBA airlines also operates an Il-76TD-90VD that started its life as an Il-76TD delivered in 1993 - so a pretty old airframe in that case. There are a few others that also received the PS-90 upgrade, but all of them old Il-76TD airframes.

May i speak as reader straight from Russia?  With great interest I watch your posts about modern russian aviation production, please, don't stop.

PS: It s not sarcasm, its really intresting, how in US non-politic look like to Russia today.

On 10/02/2018 at 4:44 AM, Scooby said:

Hobbyeasy still has the kit cheaper by $20 than anywhere else.

Not anymore. HobbyEasy realized Small Packet option doesn't apply given the box dimensions.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Wow you're not joking about that! I wonder if the pre-orders got the cheaper pricing?

Well, they have already billed my credit card using the small packet option pricing, but they haven't shipped yet. I wonder if this is what is holding up my kit.

Edited by Mstor
38 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Well, they have already billed my credit card using the small packet option pricing, but they haven't shipped yet. I wonder if this is what is holding up my kit.

Same for me, I have paid during the preorder, it is still being held. I found not only was the shipping cheaper, the kit was cheaper. Which is why I selected HobbyEasy.

10 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Then they were not new build airframes, like you claimed. The entire Ulyanovsk production has gone to the Russian Air Force, and they also have further orders but all from military customers:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2015-08-21/russian-air-force-looks-forward-first-il-76md-90-deliveries

There is an intention for them to start production of the civilian Il-76TD-90A at Aviastar/Ulyanovsk, but nothing has rolled off the floor yet.

http://www.aviastar-sp.ru/en/press_center/company_news/3107/

The civilian aircraft with PS-90 engines operated by Volga-Dnepr are the Il-76TD-90VD, the first of which was completed in 2005 and the last in 2012, but these were older airframes from the Voronezh production plant and the Il-76TD-90A will have a host of upgrades that did not form part of the Il-76TD-90VD upgrades. In fact, the Il-76TD-90VDs are pretty much simply re-engined Il-76TDs with a few improvements to the cockpit. CEIBA airlines also operates an Il-76TD-90VD that started its life as an Il-76TD delivered in 1993 - so a pretty old airframe in that case. There are a few others that also received the PS-90 upgrade, but all of them old Il-76TD airframes.

They said it was a new build, and it looked and smelled new. I’ll see if I still have the pictures on my cell phone to determine the serial. I’m sure your info is accurate.

8 hours ago, kotey said:

May i speak as reader straight from Russia?  With great interest I watch your posts about modern russian aviation production, please, don't stop.

PS: It s not sarcasm, its really intresting, how in US non-politic look like to Russia today.

And may I say straight from the USA, my comments about observed fit and finish were not criticisms.  The aviation world was quite impressed with the demonstrated aircraft aerodynamic abilities, especially the Fulcrum tail slide and the Flanker cobra maneuvers.  Both designs have obviously stood the test of time as improved versions are still in production. 

As others have said the Soviets went for quantity not quality, and power in numbers. Rather than spend all their budget on a few “perfect” airframes they built a lot of “good enough” airframes.  They knew for every ten jets shot down there would be twenty still flying and fighting.  Again, not a criticism, but an analysis of a strategy. 

And since my personal experiences with these jets was 25+ years ago I would not be surprised at advances in manufacturing.  I hope to have the opportunity to get close to modern Russian jet again some day.

:thumbsup: 

You know, situation about modern production of new aircraft were subscribed 70-80 years ago by W. Churchill - Russians maybe long harness, but then quickly go. Russian economy recovers from long crisis after a collapse of the 1990s. 

MiG-29s now non in mass operate, maybe few late batches 9.13 and all MiG-29SMTs, same situation with Su-27s - some late batches aircraft upgraded to Su-27SM, some still in operate, but in last 6-7 years were produced and put to inventory many (in number from 50 to 150 each types) new-build aircrafts and helicopters (Su-30SMs, Su-34, Su-35, Mi-26, Mi-35Ms, Mi-28N, Ka-52) and this rearm program will continue at least 5-10 years. In thjis year will signed contract about fist batch Su-57 and MiG-35s.

Of course not all work ideal, always will be some problems with quality and time contraints, but in what country all perfect?

And yes, problem with transport aviation the problem wasn't such sharp, but new Il-76MD-90 were start in produce, about 5 or 6 aircrafts already in flight, new Il-112 will flight in this year.

53 minutes ago, habu2 said:

And may I say straight from the USA, my comments about observed fit and finish were not criticisms.  The aviation world was quite impressed with the demonstrated aircraft aerodynamic abilities, especially the Fulcrum tail slide and the Flanker cobra maneuvers.  Both designs have obviously stood the test of time as improved versions are still in production. 

As others have said the Soviets went for quantity not quality, and power in numbers. Rather than spend all their budget on a few “perfect” airframes they built a lot of “good enough” airframes.  They knew for every ten jets shot down there would be twenty still flying and fighting.  Again, not a criticism, but an analysis of a strategy. 

And since my personal experiences with these jets was 25+ years ago I would not be surprised at advances in manufacturing.  I hope to have the opportunity to get close to modern Russian jet again some day.

:thumbsup: 

Mine wasn’t meant as a criticism either, they do their job despite the differences in cosmetic finish.

Although a fighter pilot I served with once stated the Cobra or the Tail Slide are not effective combat moves when trying to outrun a missile. He said they were just great airshow manuevres. Gun fights are a thing of the past.

Yet he stated the F-35 and F-22 Cobra is more effective because of stealth technology and less loss of inertia.

Who was I to argue? I knew the Avionics Systems.

3 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Although a fighter pilot I served with once stated the Cobra or the Tail Slide are not effective combat moves when trying to outrun a missile. He said they were just great airshow manuevres. Gun fights are a thing of the past.

Yet he stated the F-35 and F-22 Cobra is more effective because of stealth technology and less loss of inertia.

Agree with that, taking your jet to a zero (kinetic) energy state in an air-to-air contest is never a good thing, you are literally a sitting duck at that point. There was some talk of a “stealth” advantage by making the jet momentarily “disappear” in a range-gate radar return but recovery results in a huge IR bloom on your adversary’s display... there you are !!!

A similar maneuver, when used to point the nose off the velocity vector, can be useful but with all aspect missiles available that makes it useful only in a guns-only situation. 

Still impressive as h3ll at an airshow !!!

On 2018-02-11 at 8:06 AM, Mstor said:

Have you heard anything from HobbyEasy? I tried to contact them to see the status of my kit, no answer. Just awaiting to ship.

58 minutes ago, solher1 said:

I got a confirmation from them by email.

I got a tracking number too.

Juan

Did you have a pre-order where they only charged you small package air? Some of us are wondering if they are holding onto our orders because the box dimensions were bigger than they expected.

7 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Did you have a pre-order where they only charged you small package air? Some of us are wondering if they are holding onto our orders because the box dimensions were bigger than they expected.

Yes, my card was only charged for the original amount. The website still shows my orders as ready to ship.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Have you heard anything from HobbyEasy? I tried to contact them to see the status of my kit, no answer. Just awaiting to ship.

I contacted them on the 12th and they wrote back and apologized for the delay and said it would ship the next day. Well, yesterday has came and went and it still hasn't shipped. I've sent another e-mail asking what's up. I'm a bit worried as the Chinese new year starts on the 15th I believe. Once that happens I doubt they'll ship anything for a while (unless they do things differently in Hong Kong).

Edited by Mstor
33 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I contacted them on the 12th and they wrote back and apologized for the delay and said it would ship the next day. Well, yesterday has came and went and it still hasn't shipped. I've sent another e-mail asking what's up. I'm a bit worried as the Chinese new year starts on the 15th I believe. Once that happens I doubt they'll ship anything for a while (unless they do things differently in Hong Kong).

I just emailed them again, this is the first time I have ordered from Hobbyeasy, any other Asian shipping is always prompt. This is’t typical.

6 hours ago, Gary F said:

Mines been sitting for a few days but just noticed it’s now shipped. What’s interesting is I had the flu when I did the preorder and later saw I entered my cc info wrong. Somehow it got corrected. 

That’s scary.