ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
sda1976

1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

What would a complete Su-35 loadout be if it was armed with 2 Kh-59 missiles on the inboard pylons?  Better question: does the Su-35 carry Kh-59s?

Thanks,

Chris

Gentleman/Ladies:

I just joined your forum this evening so while I was not able to review the previous 44 pages of commentary on this kit I would like to say that after initially finding it's availability in the United States very limited I found it through the Kitlinx website and, $117.00 US later, I received it in the post yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Salineated Michigander said:

Gentleman/Ladies:

I just joined your forum this evening so while I was not able to review the previous 44 pages of commentary on this kit I would like to say that after initially finding it's availability in the United States very limited I found it through the Kitlinx website and, $117.00 US later, I received it in the post yesterday. 

Welcome to the site!

Wow...you paid a lot for that kit. True, they're hard to find now in the states, but Hobby Easy, Lucky Model and EBay have them and even with shipping they're well under $100.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

I think many people feel leery of ordering overseas, perhaps never having done it. To those people I would say, go right ahead. As long as you deal with a reputable vendor you will have no problems and will probably be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you can get. If you are not sure which vendors are reputable, start with Mr Matt Foley's list above. I would add HobbySearch, Hobbylink, Hannants and BNA Model World. For aftermarket there are MANY vendors and people that make and sell products at very reasonable prices. Sometimes in ordering overseas you will have to wait longer for delivery. But, if you're not in a hurry than you can save a lot of money.

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think many people feel leery of ordering overseas, perhaps never having done it. To those people I would say, go right ahead. As long as you deal with a reputable vendor you will have no problems and will probably be pleasantly surprised at the level of service you can get. If you are not sure which vendors are reputable, start with Mr Matt Foley's list above. I would add HobbySearch, Hobbylink, Hannants and BNA Model World. For aftermarket there are MANY vendors and people that make and sell products at very reasonable prices. Sometimes in ordering overseas you will have to wait longer for delivery. But, if you're not in a hurry than you can save a lot of money.

Mstor, well said!

I would also add, if you are in doubt about a vendor from"overseas" (from a USA perspective),  feel free to ask us here!  Believe me, the members here will be quite helpful, and give you all the facts (as they see it) so you can make an educated purchasing decision.   

Good advice guys. Unfortunately, we are still slaves to the Postal Service where ever you live and order from. My GWH Su-35 is sitting someplace at ISC Chicago and has been there since December 5th. I'm kicking myself for not buying the kit here in the states months ago. Sprue Bros even had a special for $59.99 a couple of moths ago. So, who knows when it will turn up. I have spoken with USPS 3x already.  I'm not holding my breath at this point.

32 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Good advice guys. Unfortunately, we are still slaves to the Postal Service where ever you live and order from. My GWH Su-35 is sitting someplace at ISC Chicago and has been there since December 5th. I'm kicking myself for not buying the kit here in the states months ago. Sprue Bros even had a special for $59.99 a couple of moths ago. So, who knows when it will turn up. I have spoken with USPS 3x already.  I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Its a crap shoot. I've had stuff, like yours, that sits forever in customs. Then sometimes it will breeze through in a day. Never had one quite as bad as yours though. Close, but not quite as bad. They always seem to make it through eventually.

Then there are the packages that will sit at forever at the originating airport waiting for just the right flight to take to get forwarded on. I really don't understand how overseas airmail shipping works, i.e. what are the rules/guidelines used for routing packages from country to country. Maybe someday, someone here with knowledge could put together a quick outline of how it's supposed to work.

Overall, though, my experiences have been favorable. There have been quite a few times when I have received packages from overseas faster than from a few states away. And I am not talking about any kind of express delivery, just the standard air post type.

1 hour ago, ytsejam87 said:

Mstor, well said!

I would also add, if you are in doubt about a vendor from"overseas" (from a USA perspective),  feel free to ask us here!  Believe me, the members here will be quite helpful, and give you all the facts (as they see it) so you can make an educated purchasing decision.   

Yes indeed! I dare say that many of us have bitten the bullet and tried out many different overseas vendors when that one kit or aftermarket part is only available it some shop in some country in Europe or the Far East. I have gotten burned a couple of times, but always managed to get my money back, either from PayPal, if using them, or the Credit Card company. It really isn't a difficult process, you just have to be mindful of the time limits for filing a complaint. I believe PayPal is 30 days from date of purchase. For credit cards you should check the rules for those you use.

When it comes down to it, I find using overseas vendors no more risky than using in-country ones and as Mr Foley has reminded us, we are all at the tender mercy's of the postal services.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I believe PayPal is 30 days from date of purchase.

It has been changed to 180 days quite a while ago. 

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

ISC Chicago, where parcels go to die 🙂

As I have been in both sides of the transaction and regardless of whether the transaction processor (PayPal or other) protects the buyer (in most cases) one needs to consider the fundamentals of a transaction: to be a win-win for both sides. So the seller has every interest to keep their customers happy as well as the customer ensures that trusted sellers are around. Just a personal view.

1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

It has been changed to 180 days quite a while ago. 

Thanks for correcting that!

48 minutes ago, riffer said:

ISC Chicago, where parcels go to die 🙂

Lately I've had good luck with packages through Chicago, 2 or 3 days. What I can't figure out is how they decide to route packages coming into the US in the first place. Half the time packages coming out of Hong Kong or Japan are entering customs through New York. Huh? I very seldom see any packages going from the Far East entering a port on the West coast.  They either come into Chicago or New York, or sometimes New Jersey. Then once in New York, they bounce around between a bunch of facilities out there for days. There seems no rhyme nor reason to it all. There must be a computer somewhere that runs a giant random number generator that controls package entry into the USA. Its mad I tell you. Its MAD!! :tease:

I just saw that I now have 2 kits sitting in the ISC Chicago. I'm crossing my fingers that the second one doesn't end up in the same place as the first.