ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
sda1976

1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

What we have here is something “interesting”. For unknown reasons and under suspicious circumstances images were released of the decal sheets and the photoetch set for the Su-35 kit.

One has to add that the images are of preliminary, unfinished decals and photoetch. They don’t represent the final product but still show a lot of problems. The whole development of the decal sheet is very unfortunate story. I have invested close to three months into research of the subject and collected all the necessary information for the decals. It was all put together into a fully detailed package and forwarded to G.W.H at the end of summer. Photos of all the stencils were sent, a full set of Russian text was provided separately so that the decal designer can simply paste the text into the design. Several drawings were made to show the exact position, the precise heading, the size of each decal and additional images for clear understanding of what needs to be done and how it should look like.

It was a full package to make a 97% complete decal sheet. Only 97% since there were 4-5 stencils for which there was no precise information, so it was left off. Mind you only stencils of bigger size, more prominent and noticeable were included with a special attention to printability. After all there is no point in designing something that would not show at all on a printed decal sheet.

At a very close inspection of a Su-35S in the smaller category one can see a lot of individual service panel numberings on the real aircraft. Just like on some US types Suhoy has made double numbering (one on the panel itself and one next to it on the surface indicating aircraft Left or Right side also) but this markings are far too small even for 48 th scale. Maybe in 32 nd they could be made. There are also tiny yellow frame numbers of the airframe structure which almost disappear on their background colour. No point in making them. But all the rest was designed and supplied to the manufacturer.

It is very unfortunate that a one-way “cooperation” was experienced. I was asking questions with no replies. Usually when designing decals for other manufacturers, there is a constant stream of information both ways to iron-out any misunderstandings, mistakes or questions by both the decal maker and the researcher. In this case it was not like this. :angry: After months of silence I was confronted with the decals just as everyone else few days ago on internet forums. There are serious problems with it and I don’t really like it! :bandhead2:

Have to add the pylons, weapons and the instrument panels have nothing to do with me.

Un-comprehendible changes were made in the past months to the originally supplied data, decals disappeared for some silly reasons, designs modified . . . I have no words for this.

The radar dish is an interesting story. It was not easy to persuade the manufacturer to include this decal in the kit. Personally I was against doing the radar in the kit at the start! Not because of lack of information (fortunately there was more than enough) but because of lack of time. Manufacturer made a decision on including the radar at the very last moment when it was way too late to add all the fine details to it. To save the situation I was pushing to at least do a decal for the forward face which could compensate for other deficiencies of the design. At least we have this.   

I have to apologise to all modellers for what you will get is not what I have researched and proposed for this kit. Sad, but there is nothing that I can do and my name is shown on the decal sheet so I have to take the blame for everything.

Sorry for this to everyone!

Best regards

Gabor

10 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

Gabor, can you release the sheet separately via the aftermarket?

I think the original goal was to provide a comprehensive decal sheet without the need for the modeler to invest in an aftermarket one.

If you want an aftermarket decal sheet, there's already the very nice begemot offering.

33 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

I think the original goal was to provide a comprehensive decal sheet without the need for the modeler to invest in an aftermarket one.

Exactly. You got the idea!  :thumbsup:

If one provides in the kit box everything that is needed to build a good / very good kit then overall its price will be much lower in comparison to a kit where you need to buy different aftermarkets, resins, etch, decals . . .  to achieve the same level of quality!

This was one of the main goals with this kit!

This is why I way pushing to make the decal sheet to the same level or much better than any future or present aftermarket ones. But this is why so much detail was put into the cockpit, into the gear bays, weighed wheels, engine exhaust . . .    For example the design of the wheels, where you have the “rubbers” separate from the axel/brake so that there is no need to buy separately masks to paint them properly.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, mario krijan said:

happy new year!!! Any more news?

Nothing! Sorry, but really nothing.

Basically it is a very interesting situation. The manufacturer is not making any official announcements, every now and then there is a security lapse and this or that is leaking out from the Chinese HQ.

This is all very strange from a European point of view but  . . .

strange for me from marketing point of view . . .

strange and frustrating for me as a modeller . . .

Sorry!

Best regards

Gabor

I seen On Facebook today, ammo of mig will be doing preorders very soon for the su-35

Edited by Stinger16

7 hours ago, Stinger16 said:

I seen On Facebook today, ammo of mig will be doing preorders very soon for the su-35

According to the email I received from AMMO today, it will be available through them 5/3/18??

GWH04820
Su-35S "Flanker E" Multirole Fighter
96,75 € 69,95 €
Estimated date / Fecha estimada05/03/2018

3 hours ago, Stinger16 said:

$83.00 preorder price,  kind of up there for a 1/48 kit

The kit is loaded. I find that reasonable. No aftermarket required.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

The kit is loaded. I find that reasonable. No aftermarket required.

For those of us who are stricken with AMS there is ALWAYS a need for aftermarket!

15 hours ago, Cliff C said:

According to the email I received from AMMO today, it will be available through them 5/3/18??

GWH04820
Su-35S "Flanker E" Multirole Fighter
96,75 € 69,95 €
Estimated date / Fecha estimada05/03/2018

Another of Mig's clever marketing schemes...

44 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

For those of us who are stricken with AMS there is ALWAYS a need for aftermarket!

WORD 

seems the first batches of orders will get a special bonus tea colored canopy, limited to 2999. It also says the kit will ship within 30 days of payment within China so I guess it will be out in China soon.

2 hours ago, flanker27 said:

seems the first batches of orders will get a special bonus tea colored canopy, limited to 2999. It also says the kit will ship within 30 days of payment within China so I guess it will be out in China soon.

WTF!!  Such a highly detailed, well engineered kit and probably the one most visible accuracy item (tinted canopy) only comes as a bonus in the first limited release. I have been anxiously waiting for this kit but is this is GWH's attitude then I probably won't get it. I'm not going to buy this level of quality in a kit but then have to struggle to tint the canopy. I've raised this issue from the beginning with Gabor.. It makes absolutely no sense to me not to include the tinted (accurate) canopy

Edited by Falcondriver
Spelling

The tinted canopy that is a bonus item for this GWH release may be too dark, just like other plastic tinted canopies.  It is up to the modeller to learn to tint their canopies, or need transparent wrap that can place on top of the canopy, like those found in the mig-31 windscreen tint from Furball aero design.

I can only repeat what I have written before. The question of tinted canopy was obvious to the design team and made clear to the manufacturer. Any decision about it are up to the manufacturer!  We can only reccomend.

The whole question is complicated by the fact that only the cockpit canopy, the opening part is tinted on the real aircraft. The windscreen is a clear part. What this involves for the kit is that one would need two sets of transparent parts to be 100% accurate.

In discussions about the tinted canopy many people have raised the issue of another manufacturer who offered a second set of transparent sprues (one tinted, one clear). It was quoted by many as a perfect solution and one that everyone else should follow.  

I have to add that in case of the MiG-31 the front (flat) part of the windscreen is an armoured layered glass which is completely transparent! So if you want to be completely accurate then one would have to have a very complicated sprue with a separate completely clear central part as well as the tinted parts. One important difference is that in case of the MiG-31 the TINT of the canopies is due to the type of glass used in manufacturing the canopy, which with time will tint, go yellowish colour (every aircraft has a different degree of tint!!!). The canopy of the Su-35 is manufactured in a tinted form from the start.

Best regards

Gabor    

sorry but I still can't understand the need of a further Su-35 with the Kitty Hawk kit out there...

Edited by Alpagueur

Everyone is talking about ordering, but are there any new build examples? without paint?

9 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

sorry but I still can't understand the need of a further Su-35 with the Kitty Hawk kit out there...

Try to remove your customer shoes and put the producer shoes.

1) the KH Su-35 doesn't bring any money to GWH

2) it takes more than a year to research, design and produce a kit... and producers often don't announce their projects... "collisions" are inevitable

3) Chinese (PRC, Macau, HK, Taiwan) producers seem to be keen on fighting each other

3 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

Because GWH ROCK'S !!!