1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Great Wall Hobby

1 hour ago, MoFo said:

It's the same as a bottle of Model Master, or a tin of Humbrol.

Tamiya and Gunze bottles are 10mL.

If you're airbrushing, both should definitely be more than enough to paint a single aircraft.

The "Aqueous" colors are 15mL the Lacquer Colors are 10mL.

MRP are 30mL and spray like ink.

6 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

The "Aqueous" colors are 15mL the Lacquer Colors are 10mL.

MRP are 30mL and spray like ink.

I buy Akan acrylics directly from Russia and they've reduced their bottle sizes down to 10mL since early last year. Even on their own site the photos of their newest sets and colors show them in 10mL bottles now. I think LindenHill in the USA as distributor still get the 15mL ones.

Edited by Inquisitor
10 hours ago, MoFo said:

E 'lo stesso di una bottiglia di Model Master, o di una scatola di Humbrol.

Tamiya e Gunze bottiglie sono da 10 ml.

Se stai aerografia, entrambi dovrebbero sicuramente essere più che sufficiente per dipingere un unico aeromobile.

Hi MoFo. Description Humbrol: 14ml tin covers approximate 0.3 metre square depending on thickness of application.

10 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I buy Akan acrylics directly from Russia and they've reduced their bottle sizes down to 10mL since early last year. Even on their own site the photos of their newest sets and colors show them in 10mL bottles now. I think LindenHill in the USA as distributor still get the 15mL ones.

Interesting, I have in my collection Akan acrylics, enamels and acrylic lacquers, and all of them are in 10ml bottles. I've never seen a different size from them (some of my bottles are at least 5 years old). A few were from Linden Hill (the acrylic bottles, bought when only the acrylics were available so more than 5 years ago) and the rest are directly from Russia.

Anyway, I have never used up a whole bottle of anything on any project, so this has never been a consideration in paint selection for me. I tend to prefer what sprays the best for me - in my case my two preferred brands are Mr Color lacquers and Akan acrylic lacquers.

Just looking through my paint drawer, I notice the following sizes:

Alclad bottles: 30 ml

Humbrol enamel cans: 14 ml

Mr Color Lacquer: Mostly 10 ml bottles, but I also have 18 ml bottles (I didn't even notice that before...)

Tamiya acrylics: 23 ml

Tamiya enamels: 10 ml

White Ensign Models: 14 ml

Akan (acrylic, enamels and acrylic lacquers): 10 ml

Model Master enamels: 14.7 ml

Anyway, as I said, I have never finished a bottle on one project - I build mostly 1/48th scale with the occasional 1/72nd scale model thrown in, so bottle size has never been a factor in paint selection for me.

Do you need to thin AKAN lacquers much? I had read that they only need thinning by 10-15%. So that's what led me to think that one would not get very much coverage from one bottle as opposed to a paint like Mr. Color which one generally has to thin by as much as 50%, so you get much more per bottle. MRP (Mr Paint) doesn't need thinning (or very little) but as noted above, you get 30ml in one bottle.

The label on Akan lacquers do indeed say thin by 10-15%. That is still way too thick for airbrush work for me. I start thinning at 1:1 and keep adding thinner until I get the consistency I want. On some bottles I have way more thinner than paint! That makes the skimpy 10 ml bottles go a long ways, and I build a lot of LSP's and don't need more than a single bottle of coverage. BTW, Mr Color Levelling Thinner works wonderfully with Akan lacquers.

5 hours ago, modelingbob said:

The label on Akan lacquers do indeed say thin by 10-15%. That is still way too thick for airbrush work for me. I start thinning at 1:1 and keep adding thinner until I get the consistency I want. On some bottles I have way more thinner than paint! That makes the skimpy 10 ml bottles go a long ways, and I build a lot of LSP's and don't need more than a single bottle of coverage. BTW, Mr Color Levelling Thinner works wonderfully with Akan lacquers.

That is good to know. I have some AKAN lacquers but haven't used them yet. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Interesting, I have in my collection Akan acrylics, enamels and acrylic lacquers, and all of them are in 10ml bottles. I've never seen a different size from them (some of my bottles are at least 5 years old). A few were from Linden Hill (the acrylic bottles, bought when only the acrylics were available so more than 5 years ago) and the rest are directly from Russia.

Anyway, I have never used up a whole bottle of anything on any project, so this has never been a consideration in paint selection for me. I tend to prefer what sprays the best for me - in my case my two preferred brands are Mr Color lacquers and Akan acrylic lacquers.

Just looking through my paint drawer, I notice the following sizes:

Alclad bottles: 30 ml

Humbrol enamel cans: 14 ml

Mr Color Lacquer: Mostly 10 ml bottles, but I also have 18 ml bottles (I didn't even notice that before...)

Tamiya acrylics: 23 ml

Tamiya enamels: 10 ml

White Ensign Models: 14 ml

Akan (acrylic, enamels and acrylic lacquers): 10 ml

Model Master enamels: 14.7 ml

Anyway, as I said, I have never finished a bottle on one project - I build mostly 1/48th scale with the occasional 1/72nd scale model thrown in, so bottle size has never been a factor in paint selection for me.

Well here is a photo of selected bottles of Akan I've bought over the years and you can see the size change.

mir8kdj.jpg

From left to right

73069 from the Su-27 set from Armory from Ukraine in 2010

73165 and 73170 from I-modelist from Russian late 2016- early 2017

73170 from I-modelist mid 2017

73166 from I-modelist nov 2017.

As you can see from their numbers they're acrylic ones.

J2WpTKU.jpg

Second photo same order and you can see on the lower right corner of the label for the 3 bigger ones 15mL and the two on the right 10mL

9 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Second photo same order and you can see on the lower right corner of the label for the 3 bigger ones 15mL and the two on the right 10mL

Hmmm, interesting... I'll double check mine when I get home, but all the ones that I looked through before my previous post said 10ml on the label, and they all certainly looked the same size, although there was a small change in the shape of the bottles at some point.

On 22.1.2018 at 11:39 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Adhesion issues. On a primed surface the stuff just doesn't stay down. I've tried many thinners and thinned ratios and it is a pain. I will not use it again....

Akan Lacquer paints are awesome. Thin those with any cellulose based mild thinner and they go down smooth as silk and stay down.

Thanks for your answer. I have some AKAN acrylics, but haven't tried them yet. Will be interesting to see if I can get them to work.

Also, I received an email from Ammo. They wrote that GWH confirmed that the pre-order kits at AMMO will be the special first issue.

(Don't want to start a new debate, just writing this if anyone is still interested).

1 hour ago, andy_e said:

Thanks for your answer. I have some AKAN acrylics, but haven't tried them yet. Will be interesting to see if I can get them to work.

Also, I received an email from Ammo. They wrote that GWH confirmed that the pre-order kits at AMMO will be the special first issue.

(Don't want to start a new debate, just writing this if anyone is still interested).

What I learned from using the Water Based Acrylics from Akan is once you have your job completed to your liking, let them dry in a safe location and when completely dry, seal the paint with your choice of gloss coat. If you do not do this, that paint will come up from handling or any detail painting. It is very frustrating to lose paint on intakes, wing edges etc. from handling. I would also advise extreme caution if masking it. I painted a splinter scheme on my Mig-29 SMT and had to return to the spray booth several times to respray areas lost from Tamiya tape. I recommend using something like a "Post It" note for masking and take your time.

17 hours ago, andy_e said:

Now they get the confirmation. I e-mail them twice after placing an order. They had no clue that there was a first edition release that had special parts. They told me that they "checked" and could find no information on it. So, considering their response and the fact that they state they won't be getting their kits until March, I canceled my order with them. Already have orders placed with Hobbysearch and Hobbylink.

2 hours ago, ching kuo said:

Hobbyeasy pré-order the first edition " two canopy" , I buy with him and HLJ

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/2gtw7pte7yawsgorv9kb.html

Nice!  Thanks for the info, I had already pre-ordered with them... That description about the two canopies was not there when I pre-ordered, so it is good to get confirmation.

40 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Nice!  Thanks for the info, I had already pre-ordered with them... That description about the two canopies was not there when I pre-ordered, so it is good to get confirmation.

Darn, I had an order with them which I canceled because there was no info about it being the two canopy version. Their offering is about $20 cheaper than Hobbysearch and Hobbylink. Oh well, not going to risk changing anything now.

On 2018-01-21 at 5:45 AM, Mr Matt Foley said:

But if it were not for people like Berkut, companies would not listen and try to improve their kits. I do have to admit, when I look at the issues with a kit and realize what I can or cannot correct within my skills, it can get frustrating. But, in the case of the Sukhoi family and Mig family I do like to hear from those who critique.  I do however get a bit annoyed at some who are calling out ZM and their F-4 series. I still cannot see the fault in the fuselage that some are adamant about.

Keep up the good work Berkut and everyone else.

Totally agree with everything and I also concur, I also don’t see the fuselage fault on ZM.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, Mfezi said:

Hmmm, interesting... I'll double check mine when I get home, but all the ones that I looked through before my previous post said 10ml on the label, and they all certainly looked the same size, although there was a small change in the shape of the bottles at some point.

OK, very interesting. I went through my collection and sure enough - the old AKAN acrylics from about 5 years ago were marked 15 ml, but the bottles were roughly the same physical size as the newer ones and even the older enamels. Holding a "full" one that I never opened up against the light and comparing to a bottle of enamel from the same period but marked "10 ml", it does look like the enamels and also newer acrylic lacquers are filled with a bit less paint than those original acrylics. It therefore does appear that they sold the old acrylics at 15 ml per bottle, while the enamels and acrylic lacquers are/were sold at 10 ml per bottle. My enamel bottles are also more than 5 years old, so it is not that recent a change. As I said, I have never used up a bottle within one build (in fact, most last me 3 or 4 builds or even more when they are 1/72nd scale models) so I just never noticed the difference...

To answer another poster about how much you thin the AKAN acrylic lacquers - in my experience, they do appear to need a bit less thinning than Mr Color, but I can't give exact figures since I tend to thin to a certain target consistency and I seldom count or work out the exact percentage to which I thin.

tinted canopy s a grat addition, I dont know how well it will show when the model completed, it looks like its prefect for realism, but I wonder if it will look more real in scale if tinted darker?  I've ordered mine already!  Maybe  Great Wall should do a Raptor!  i'm sure China has the plans already

On 27/1/2018 at 7:12 PM, ya-gabor said:

Dear Raptor 71,

Where exactly did I say YELLOW?  And what is yellow?  Please look again at the post on page 22 from Jan 20th.

The above photos show the tinted canopy sprue. It is tinted.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor. Only a language and translation problem. I perfectly understand that the transparent cockpit (very nice) is deliberately dyed (to simulate the reproduction of the "yellow" layer that on the SU-35 serves to prevent the opponent's radar waves, penetrate the cockpit and reflect on the ejection seat). I forgot the smile that would make me understand the joke for the term "yellow" (reference to "yellow" of the band Coldplay or the Beatles "yellow submarine".. That's all.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Raptor71