Tornado "Marineflieger" in 1/72, Revell-kit with HaHen-decals

This is my final contribution to the GB. A Marineflieger-Tornado, using the excellent 1/72 Revell-kit and HaHen-Decals.

F0dD2yj.jpg

As you will see in my following lines, I made some progress during the last days. I have chosen the ECR-version because the kit came in bright grey plastic, which will make painting the white underside easier.

Here is the almost finished cockpit:

Gg8HoKN.jpg

Usually I paint all my models with a brush, but this time I used one of the Revell rattle-cans to spray the biggest parts of the underside in white. Went quite well...:

S2jItBJ.jpg

Assembly of the main components was neat and easy.

kgXBA76.jpg

Gear is drying:

GAfnTB4.jpg

And resting on its legs for the first time:

T3dYylu.jpg

So far I´m pretty sure I´ll make it in time. Any advice concerning the HaHen-decals?

HAJO

Wow! Nice subject!

HaHen Daclas are printed on one large piece of carrier film. So you'll have to cut out each decal with a scalpel knife. Paul Budzik did a good video in which he shows how he handles decals. Other than that, they can be used just like normal decals, althoug I would try a scrap piece of decal first to see how well it performs.

DIfficult to tell from the sprues, it should be in a slightly slanted line. Check Step 56 of the instructions. There are 2 almost vertical panellines aft of the radome, and the second one just in front of the windshield is the same angle as the radome. Not sure how the kit part matches up with that line once it is assembled.

From the experience with my Revell Tornado, the radome attach point is a straight line, so it's most probably incorrect.  My choice was to do an out of the box build so I wasn't going to take the time to rescribe or correct it.... especially in 1/72 scale.

I won´t do any rescribing, but will paint it in the correct angle. I did that with my GR.1 a couple of weeks ago and assume that´s the same line I should take with the Marineflieger-version.

HAJO

The sharp demarcation line between grey and white needs some masking-tape to make it look good...:

C5eDF6u.jpg

And looking good after I pulled off the tape! Never mind the rest of the bird, I just painted the places close to the contrast.

d1unNSJ.jpg

HAJO

Sorry for not doing any updates, but with not even a week to go I focus my work on the model!

The pilots are in.

gBJrcLY.jpg

I painted them orange to simulate the survival suits they carried and that were in that bright color during the 80ies.

Color for the upper side is Revell 77, mixed with a slightly brighter grey.

AL3odYt.jpg

A coat of gloss clear as final preparation for the decals:

YFoSi5H.jpg

And the decals itself. They look good (and as I speak, a couple of them is already on the bird and drying), but you have to cut out each of them seperately. which is a PITA:

daFvae0.jpg

HAJO

Done!

Some teasers before I hopefully will do some outdoor-pictures tomorrow (rain is scheduled for our area in the evening...).

The offensive weaponry (MW-1, AIM-9s, BOZ-107 and Cerberus I) mounted:

geZpuyN.jpg

Added the wing tanks:

KaGCS71.jpg

And a quick build of the completely finished "Klappdrachen" (folding dragon):

75GNqiK.jpg

HAJO

In on the last evening!

This is my 1:72 Revell Tornado "Marineflieger" with HaHen-decals.

YpQ9oLO.jpg

Unfortunately the weather this afternoon was quite rainy, so I couldn´t take any pictures outside. I will add some more pictures later this week.

QAAQlYp.jpg

I dedicate this Tornado to my friend Tim C., a former Tornado-backseater in the Marinefliegergeschwader 1 (Naval Air Wing 1). I´d also like to thank Andre H., a fromer Tornado-frontseater of MFG 2, who gave me some advice for the details of this aircraft.

FMPIb7A.jpg

This model was a pleasure to build, although I have to say that rushing a kit to the finish-line like I did this week is not that funny...

ledwg51.jpg

I´d like to thank all GB-participants for their contributions  in form of models, advice and comments. It was a honour to build with you, gentlemen!

HAJO