Minibase Su-33 1/48

I am not so sure MRP201 is entirely incorrect. There appear to be neutral grey and blueish-grey colours used (The pic Nino posted is clearly neutral), as are soft and hard demarcation camouflage and last but not lease - check the nose area on this pic and you will clearly see, the bottom is more blueish than the top gray - so definitely 4 different colours on that bird. I don't say it is a norm, but browsing through photos for reference can yield interesting results.

https://russianplanes.net/id196211

4 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

Why they sell them? I took today from friend Akan water based gray color and sprayed it over Gunze primer and let it dry for 6 hours.I put paper tape mask over it and let it be there for half an hour,and took of the mask slowly,everything seems fine.I like result very,very much,and instead of thick layer,I have much thiner layer even than Vallejo...I like how it looks...It must be sprayed a little bit deferent than enamels.

Sorry, I don't own that business so can't really tell. My experience was as described above. Maybe they improved, maybe I've got a bad batch or have a clumsy hands. :)

4 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

I am not so sure MRP201 is entirely incorrect. There appear to be neutral grey and blueish-grey colours used (The pic Nino posted is clearly neutral), as are soft and hard demarcation camouflage and last but not lease - check the nose area on this pic and you will clearly see, the bottom is more blueish than the top gray - so definitely 4 different colours on that bird. I don't say it is a norm, but browsing through photos for reference can yield interesting results.

https://russianplanes.net/id196211

They are the same color top and bottom in that pic on my screen. Some photos can make the colors look different. Nino's original pic of Bort Red 81 made the light blue-grey look more neutral. You can not trust photographs to represent colors accurately. AKAN has matched their paints to actual paint samples. I have seen pics of samples placed on the same color areas of the real aircraft and they matched perfectly (except the AKAN sample of dark blue looked a little darker than that on the aircraft, might have been due to fading). AKAN provides three colors for the current camo scheme used by the Su-33. See pics below of same airframe, Bort Red 88.

https://russianplanes.net/id252935

https://russianplanes.net/id243711

https://russianplanes.net/id225066

P.S. The first photo looks like it was taken after the Syria campaign.

26 minutes ago, Mstor said:

They are the same color top and bottom in that pic on my screen. Some photos can make the colors look different. Nino's original pic of Bort Red 81 made the light blue-grey look more neutral. You can not trust photographs to represent colors accurately. AKAN has matched their paints to actual paint samples. I have seen pics of samples placed on the same color areas of the real aircraft and they matched perfectly (except the AKAN sample of dark blue looked a little darker than that on the aircraft, might have been due to fading). AKAN provides three colors for the current camo scheme used by the Su-33. See pics below of same airframe, Bort Red 88.

https://russianplanes.net/id252935

https://russianplanes.net/id243711

https://russianplanes.net/id225066

P.S. The first photo looks like it was taken after the Syria campaign.

you are correct - first pic you posted is taken after Syrian campaign.

On my pic, the demarcation can be clearly seen in the nose area (around the white rectangular panel), at least on my monitor (colour calibrated for photography work). But my point was that if you plan to do an accurate model, choose a subject with plenty of reference photographs and stick to it. You are right, you cannot trust photos 100% but if the pattern is repeating, then you can be sure about it. And from what I've seen so far, looking at hundreds of Su-33 photos, I am pretty certain, some Su-33s had more neutral colour applied at some point in their service life. But as I said in my previous post, that doesn't necessarily mean such colour is standard. As for the comparing the samples to the real deal - automatically, if you have an "accurate" paint sample, it's gonna look too dark on a model - scale effect ain't a myth and it doesn't mean just to add certain amount of white to lighten up the colours - actually mixing the accurate "scale tone" is quite a science.

1 hour ago, Sebastijan said:

you are correct - first pic you posted is taken after Syrian campaign.

On my pic, the demarcation can be clearly seen in the nose area (around the white rectangular panel), at least on my monitor (colour calibrated for photography work). But my point was that if you plan to do an accurate model, choose a subject with plenty of reference photographs and stick to it. You are right, you cannot trust photos 100% but if the pattern is repeating, then you can be sure about it. And from what I've seen so far, looking at hundreds of Su-33 photos, I am pretty certain, some Su-33s had more neutral colour applied at some point in their service life. But as I said in my previous post, that doesn't necessarily mean such colour is standard. As for the comparing the samples to the real deal - automatically, if you have an "accurate" paint sample, it's gonna look too dark on a model - scale effect ain't a myth and it doesn't mean just to add certain amount of white to lighten up the colours - actually mixing the accurate "scale tone" is quite a science.

OK, I guess the different color thing is possible. My monitor is not calibrated for photographic work, so I will have to defer to your findings. I've seen variations of color between different photos of the same aircraft, so I came to conclusion that the differences were due to how the photo was taken and processed/adjusted. But, the vast majority of the Su-33 photos I've seen of the later scheme camo look like the same color top and bottom. So, whatever. In the end, its up to the individual to interpret and determine what colors to paint. I like very close enough colors myself :hmmm: :thumbsup:.

All is good :clap2:

8 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

This photo is also good for reference of painting. :-) 

197826.jpg

Do you know which specific airframe you're going to do yet? Just curious. I'm doing Red 80. I like the sharp demarcation lines between the camo colors (easier for me to mask and paint :naughty:).

On 8/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, Sebastijan said:

check the nose area on this pic and you will clearly see, the bottom is more blueish than the top gray - so definitely 4 different colours on that bird.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:46 AM, Nino_Belov said:

I am 100% shore that the lower color is darker. I think that whole aircraft is repainted,when it was on modernization.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, Sebastijan said:

On my pic, the demarcation can be clearly seen in the nose area (around the white rectangular panel)

I'm not convinced that the bottom is a different color.

Looking at this pic it almost appears that they masked the lower portion, touched up the dark blue and got a little overspray on the gray. Note how it only appears to be towards the rear and not forward of the rectangular panel.

88_color_zpsrcoxrsew.jpg

Again, here on Red 78:

78_color_zpslwjgeid7.jpg

I'm thinking the standard three tone scheme is standard.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Petarvu changed the title to Minibase Su-33 1/48