Minibase Su-33 1/48

5 hours ago, Gun_Metal said:

I thought Kinetic 1/48 Su-33 was really good. Compared to that one, what is fixed here? Apart from more/better detail.?  

Single piece engine nacelles for a start. The back piece on the Kinetic one is moulded into the lower fuselage part. So you have to glue the intakes onto it, where you end up having to sand a step between the two. I had to waste a lot of time getting this area flush, plus re scribing all the lost detail in that area. Also parts like the vertical stabilators on this kit are split in two halves. Where on the Kinetic one they're cast as one solid piece resulting in deep sink marks that needed to be filled, sanded and re scribed. I imagine theres a lot of other areas that are an improvement too but I can't comment since its not even out yet. I really wish this was what the Kinetic kit was because Ive almost finished mine. And it looks like this one will be so much more of a pleasant building experience. Might I also add that they should take their time getting the instructions to be clear and understandable. The Kinetic instructions are by far the worse I've ever encountered.

12 hours ago, joeltc said:

. The Kinetic instructions are by far the worse I've ever encountered.

Try building a Dagon PZ IVE if you want to see horrendous instructions.. Kinetics instructions are stellar by comparison..and they updated them which you can download the new versions.

Half of the PE that comes with the kit is not mentioned anywhere.   The ejection-handle is left out of the instructions for the seat (thankfully, you get two seats in the kit).  The instructions appear to tell you to install the ejection-seatback upside-down (or this could just be me, because the images were vague enough that it could just be the image). The instructions for mounting the rudder-pedals are vague and missing a critical bit of information.  The instructions for assembling the flaps are beyond vague, and if followed, will result in a really poor representation... unless you build it flaps up. 

The under-nacelle pylons are flat out missing and not mentioned anywhere. 

I haven't gotten to the landing gear, doors, spoiler, or weapons yet, but I did read the instructions fully about 5 times.  I'm fully expecting to find more errors and omissions once I get to all of those bits. 

The canopy fit is really funny... because the forward part fits absolutely perfectly, and the rear portion... doesn't really fit, and will only look good open.  

Edited by BaconRaygun
54 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

Half of the PE that comes with the kit is not mentioned anywhere.   The ejection-handle is left out of the instructions for the seat (thankfully, you get two seats in the kit).  The instructions appear to tell you to install the ejection-seatback upside-down (or this could just be me, because the images were vague enough that it could just be the image). The instructions for mounting the rudder-pedals are vague and missing a critical bit of information.  The instructions for assembling the flaps are beyond vague, and if followed, will result in a really poor representation... unless you build it flaps up. 

I haven't gotten to the landing gear, doors, spoiler, or weapons yet, but I did read the instructions fully about 5 times.  I'm fully expecting to find more errors and omissions once I get to all of those bits. 

The canopy fit is really funny... because the forward part fits absolutely perfectly, and the rear portion... doesn't really fit, and will only look good open.  

Sorry,  I thought you were talking about the new Su-33 kit.

10 hours ago, dehowie said:

Try building a Dagon PZ IVE if you want to see horrendous instructions.. Kinetics instructions are stellar by comparison..and they updated them which you can download the new versions.

8 hours ago, BaconRaygun said:

Thankfully I discovered the online instructions too. But I was still about halfway guessing my way through building it. http://www.kineticmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64&search=48062

3 hours ago, joeltc said:

Thankfully I discovered the online instructions too. But I was still about halfway guessing my way through building it. http://www.kineticmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64&search=48062

Yea, the new instructions are an improvement, just not that much of an improvement. If its not missing entirely, its almost impossible to determine some parts placement or orientation. Lots of good closeup photos needed as a reality check.

Yes,  but I was  hoping Mr. Pin would have shown us more. 

I wonder what this new company is planning to release after the 

Su-33?  Hopefully more Russian/Soviet hardware. 

Edited by B.Sin
  • Petarvu changed the title to Minibase Su-33 1/48