Minibase Su-33 1/48

47 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Okay, I'm going bonkers here; is it a "totally new model" or a "totally new kit"? :gr_eek2:

Will see whether I can get Dragan's personal e-mail addy.

AFAIK we've only see some 3D renders of a model. ...not the rendering of parts or sprues. (which is a different thing)

so, not yet a kit...

Edited by mingwin
18 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Okay, I'm going bonkers here; is it a "totally new model" or a "totally new kit"? :gr_eek2:

I'm similarly wondering if the Tan Model 1/32 Su-33 will make it all the way to a packaged styrene product. Frankly, I'd settle for a plain brown box with the plastic trees thrown in. 

Su-33, like the RF-101C, is buy one in every available double-digit scale for me. Getting the diddy Zvezda and drooling at the prospect of the Tan Model, but which 1/48er to go for: Kinetic v.1 or wait for the ethereal Aviation Art v.2?

Tony

Edited by tony.t
korreck grammarr
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, mingwin said:

AFAIK we've only see some 3D renders of a model. ...not the rendering of parts or sprues. (which is a different thing)

so, not yet a kit...

Okay, Simon. Thanks a lot for your clarification.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:50 AM, tony.t said:

I'm similarly wondering if the Tan Model 1/32 Su-33 will make it all the way to a packaged styrene product. Frankly, I'd settle for a plain brown box with the plastic trees thrown in. 

Su-33, like the RF-101C, is buy one in every available double-digit scale for me. Getting the diddy Zvezda and drooling at the prospect of the Tan Model, but which 1/48er to go for: Kinetic v.1 or wait for the ethereal Aviation Art v.2?

Tony, same here with Tan Model's proposed 1/48 SR-71 kit that Hypersonic Models seems to be currently working on. That being said, where will you display a 1/32nd scale Su-33 kit? It ought to be a monster! I already had the Kinetic kit, so I'd advise on waiting for Aviation Art's kit.

I've finally gotten Dragan's personal addy, so I'll see whether I contact him soon. I've already got rid of my Kinetic kit, so his kit is my only hope now.

Is the Kinetic kit out of production, by the way?

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Nino_Belov said:

I have very close sources for info about this project,few minutes ago I got info that model kit will be produced and that molds are in final stage of preparing metal tools for it...So let's wait...Source also tells that it will be on store shelfs until end of this year.And that is all that source could tell me.

That's awesome news, Nino! I was worried that this project might be kaput after having sold my Kinetic kit.

Cheers,

Onigiri

On 12 September 2018 at 7:42 PM, Doppelgänger said:

Tony, same here with Tan Model's proposed 1/48 SR-71 kit that Hypersonic Models seems to be currently working on. That being said, where will you display a 1/32nd scale Su-33 kit? It ought to be a monster! I already had the Kinetic kit, so I'd advise on waiting for Aviation Art's kit. [snip...] 

Cheers,

Onigiri

The CAD shows a folded-up option which is how I'd make mine. Have the Trumpeter Flanker B underway and it does take up a whole shelf (Ikea Ivar wooden bookcase, which has 40cm or so deep shelves. I have two side-by-side in the den).

15 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

Yes my friend, project is in stage of finalisation, and as far as I know, from my source, they are very busy about it.But I really don't know when it will get out on the store shelfs. I have spoken with some very..I mean veryyy close people to the model kit, and they told me that AA have already made one model kit.I don't know why they need that one model kit, and if they have made one, why they didn't made a whole bunch of them and put them on sale...But that is the latest news...You can not imagine how much I wait this model kit to get my hands on her :-). I have seen some crazyyy details for it, and as my source sad...they have made those details...I can not imagine how it will looks when it came out.Truth to say, when v.1.0 came out in Kinetic label, i thought, that this was the greatest and the best model kit in the world, but after seeing some of those updated details...All I can say it's WAU!!! 

So, if I got a Kinetic V.1 right now I'd be wasting my money? I'm wondering what the crazyyy details are in V.2 (?¿) 

Tony 

9 minutes ago, Nino_Belov said:

My friends, there is a "war" betwean toolshops and some very weird things are going on with this project. Tomorrow I think that i will have final news is this project kaput or not. The problem is that no one from AA, aka Mr.Liang doesn't answering... There is a war betwean greed and "old modeling spirit"...I am sorry to say this...

That doesn't surprise me given the history of other companies having the same trouble...i.e. AMK getting "time" for their product. I would imagine that this project may be even more sensitive given the release of the Su-33 previously under another name. Too bad if that is the case.

8 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

Yes my friend, I am very sorry that "money" took the joy of modeling, companies kill that joy in this hobby.They don't make model kits for modelers, in past i remember that modeling companies tried at least to get "close" to modelers heart. Now it is just stupid money industry, ...

Modellers often put the love for the hobby first and don’t understand the business side of our hobby. Do they go from 9 to 5 in their day work place for FREE just out of love for what they do???

Producing a plastic kit (or  for that matter an aftermarket, a decal, a book, a photoetch . . .) is an investment! It is a business where you have overheads, pay taxes, where you have to pay the tool maker, the CAD designer . . . or at the very end for the plastic pellets from which the kits are injection moulded.

They all cost money. It is not possible to pay all this with love or expect everyone to give it for free out of love.

Manufacturing plastic model kits has ALWAYS been a business where investment was made into manufacturing a product (the kit) and income is expected to pay for the investment and preferably make some profit so that the next investment can be made and people involved can make a living. If there is no income then the manufacturer will simply go out of business!!!! It is as simple as that!

One can hide his head in the sand (out of love for the hobby) but money has, is and will always turn this business around!

Best regards

Gabor  

I have the Kinetic kit, It is nice but I have in the past written about it that it has some serious sink marks on it. Well, I know  I have an early copy and I know that Kinetic has worked hard on it and the new ones are almost perfect.

I wish all the best to anyone else who is willing to go into this risky business and invests in a new Su-33 kit. (A really fab aircraft I have to add) Good luck to them!!! The more kits we have the better and we will have a choice based on our own preferences!

Everyone is living from the market and money (unfortunately) plays an important part in our lives, we have to pay our bills and go to the shops to survive from day to day. Using the knowledge one has is the way to make money. As an aviation journalist and photographer this is the way I have been making living for decades and this includes the modelling part of the business also.

Of course there is every now and then a case where ones helps a friend and provides information, photos, corrections only because of love for the hobby and because they are friends who produce something good and I only want to help them in producing it even better! But this is my choice.

I know that some model manufacturers (aftermarket producers also) are eager to use the “free” knowledge of so called experts from the internet /  forums and do most of the kit research and development from an armchair in front of a computer, never seeing a real aircraft. They take it as granted that modellers should / have too give the info they have for free just because “they love the hobby”. At the same time the manufacturers make a considerable sum at the end of the day from the sales of the kits!!! They don’t do the hard work of research only interested in taking the money from the sales. Now it is here you should look for a real problem with money and attitude towards it in this hobby!

Best regards

Gabor  

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

At the same time the manufacturers make a considerable sum at the end of the day from the sales of the kits!!! They don’t do the hard work of research only interested in taking the money from the sales. Now it is here you should look for a real problem with money and attitude towards it in this hobby!

Considerable net sum though ? What's left once the retail shop & distributors margins, subcontractors (toolshop, decal designer, printers) payments, wages have been deduced ? Enough to finance the tooling of next kit hopefully. If so the machine is still fuelled and the machine can keep on running. If not, it stops sooner than later.

Is somebody in Macau, Shenzen or Honk Kong in a good position to research a Soviet aircraft ? I doubt it so the producer will have to try and find external contributors to the project. If those contributors have visibility on the project, if they don't just throw reference material at the producer and pray for a good outcome, it's a good thing. Still those contributors often don't get to decide because they aren't the ones paying, they aren't the ones having to do risk management.

I can understand the frustration of such a big emotional investment Nino. Nothing is ever free, especially pouring your heart into something that fails to come to fruition. 

Bottom line:

1/72 Zvezda 

1/48 Kinetic

1/32 Tanmodel (definitely maybe) 

I just bought a Kinetic a short while ago. Should be here next week.

Tony  

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Laurent said:

Is somebody in Macau, Shenzen or Honk Kong in a good position to research a Soviet aircraft ? I doubt it so the producer will have to try and find external contributors to the project. If those contributors have visibility on the project, if they don't just throw reference material at the producer and pray for a good outcome, it's a good thing.

Laurent, I could have easily taken this having happened back in the time in which I got the Testors 1/48th scale SR-71 or the Academy 1/48th scale Su-27 kits; the Revell 1/48th scale MiG-25 kit if you will. No manufacturers would have ever been able to research those subjects up close and personal, hence, we would accept a kit with dubious accuracy and affirm the kit was aceptable enough.

Now, aren't the people at Macau, Shenzen or Hong Kong in good position to research a Soviet aircraft, really? At least let's not speak about researching an aircraft which is still active (like a Su-33, for instance). But what about those you can still find sitting at museums? Yet, how many of these retired subjects were not even researched up close and personal by the manufacturers? Examples abound.

And with regard to this, I learnt from a close acquaintance in Europe who started gathering material to develop a scale model from a living subject sitting at a museum (I think it was a World War II airplane. It seemed that everything was all right if he were just there taking pictures and making sketches, but no sooner he proposed scanning the subject with a laser devise than the museum began thwarting his every effort.

Why do you think this is? I can't even start thinking of any valid reason.

It feels like sometimes someone would see profits on other people's work and everything goes straight down the drain.

@Nino_Belov Just wanted to acknowledge having received your message. There's a lot I'd like to say to you, it's only that unfortunately I haven't got the time right now. I'll make time to answer your message both properly and thoroughly, as it was really great news to me what you told me. Thank you so very much! I never expected to be like that. :worship:

Please wait.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

2 hours ago, ching kuo said:

Anyway , one day or another, this kit will be released !! they will sell the project to the highest bidder, which I find weird is the "silence radio" of HB / Trumpi for their kit Su-33 / J-15 ??? I feel a MIC MAC with AA, it's just a guess

The Su-33 1.0 story has been discussed some time ago...

I don't know anything on the story about the Su-33 2.0.

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

Now, aren't the people at Macau, Shenzen or Hong Kong in good position to research a Soviet aircraft, really? At least let's not speak about researching an aircraft which is still active (like a Su-33, for instance). But what about those you can still find sitting at museums? Yet, how many of these retired subjects were not even researched up close and personal by the manufacturers? Examples abound.

And with regard to this, I learnt from a close acquaintance in Europe who started gathering material to develop a scale model from a living subject sitting at a museum (I think it was a World War II airplane. It seemed that everything was all right if he were just there taking pictures and making sketches, but no sooner he proposed scanning the subject with a laser devise than the museum began thwarting his every effort.

Why do you think this is? I can't even start thinking of any valid reason.@Nino_Belov

Scale modeling business isn't a high profitability business. Once the retailer, the distributor and the subcontractors have taken their margin, not that much is left for the producer. Few companies can afford to have a research department and few can afford to send a pair of employees from China to some part of the world to collect material to work on a project. Or even pay some local consultants. It would eat a good chunk of the whole project's budget. That's why producers rely on subject enthusiasts I think.

I also don't have a clue why a museum would refuse people scanning a WW2 aircraft. It doesn't make sense... unless they've agreed on an exclusivity contract with someone else perhaps ?

• Petarvu changed the title to Minibase Su-33 1/48