Any problem areas with the Revell of Germany 1/72 B-17G

8 hours ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

Some people don't like the panel lines, especially around the nose. I can live with it. Compared to the Airfix kit, the detail seems a little softer to me. I have both.

I felt the opposite. Bought two Airfix kits, and they were OK at best. The interior of the Revell is better to my eyes, and the rest I can live with. Just found the Airfix kit boring at best. Had the done as well as they did with their Do17; we'd had a winner!

gary

I didn't say I preferred one over the other. I'm mostly done with the Airfix kit as far as building, I just have to work up the mojo for a lot of bare metal paint now. I haven't started the Revell kit I have yet so it was just an in the box comparison. What I see is that the Revell kit has more detail, but the Airfix kit has sharper, deeper detail for what it has. Look at the faces of the radios.

As for what I've seen in building the Airfix kit: keep glue surfaces free of paint or they won't fit together. There is no windage engineered into the kit, the parts are exact fit, plastic to plastic. Other than that I haven't found any issues except that whatever painting you do in the interior will probably never be seen again!

I0ew5kQ.jpg

5 hours ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

I didn't say I preferred one over the other. I'm mostly done with the Airfix kit as far as building, I just have to work up the mojo for a lot of bare metal paint now. I haven't started the Revell kit I have yet so it was just an in the box comparison. What I see is that the Revell kit has more detail, but the Airfix kit has sharper, deeper detail for what it has. Look at the faces of the radios.

As for what I've seen in building the Airfix kit: keep glue surfaces free of paint or they won't fit together. There is no windage engineered into the kit, the parts are exact fit, plastic to plastic. Other than that I haven't found any issues except that whatever painting you do in the interior will probably never be seen again!

I0ew5kQ.jpg

my main gripe about the Airfix kit is also kinda stupid. They did a late B17g that seriously limits you in schemes. It's a good kit for sure, but had they simply done a B17f; we'd have been all over it! I wish somebody would do a late B17f, as it's close to an early B17g. Still just a little different. And while on the B17 subject; how about a new B17e? An early one at that (thinking Dec. 1941 time period).

gary

I have a three of the Revel kits (an 'F' and 2 'Gs') and an Airfix 'G' kit in my stash and I think they are all great looking kits and can't wait to get started on them.  That being said, to my eye some of the gun barrels on both companies kits look to long and skinny, and on the Revel 'G' the cheek windows look small.  Also, and this might be just because of some of the built kit pics I've seen of both types, the dorsal turret on one, the Revel one I think, looks odd, in that it looks narrower at the bottom than to top and seems to sit higher than the turret on the other one.  Also, on one kit, and I can't remember which one, the nose looks narrower and more pointed than the other.  Like I said, these observations are based on pics of built kits of both I've seen on line, so maybe these things don't look off or odd when you're actually building these kits. 

Edited by afspret

Funny somebody mentioned the guns supplied in the Airfix kit! Didn't even slightly look like a Browning 50 caliber machine gun. Wasn't real impressed with either kits guns to add to the rant. The first Airfix kit's decals looked like they'd been run thru the washing machine, but guess that's their norm as the one I opened last night looked just as bad. Something's completely wrong with the interior bulk heads, but also need to do some more research. I liked their wheels, but jury's still out on the landing gear.

Now I just add another ten spot to the kit price for new decals alone. Guns ought to be replaced as well. Anybody know of some good resin after market ones?

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

Funny somebody mentioned the guns supplied in the Airfix kit! Didn't even slightly look like a Browning 50 caliber machine gun. Wasn't real impressed with either kits guns to add to the rant. The first Airfix kit's decals looked like they'd been run thru the washing machine, but guess that's their norm as the one I opened last night looked just as bad. Something's completely wrong with the interior bulk heads, but also need to do some more research. I liked their wheels, but jury's still out on the landing gear.

Now I just add another ten spot to the kit price for new decals alone. Guns ought to be replaced as well. Anybody know of some good resin after market ones?

gary

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/72032b.jpg

http://www.quickboost.net/Obrazky/72091.jpg

Chris

Sold both my Revell 72nd B-17's when i recieved my Airfix G.

Revell B-17 has panel lines which simply dominate it along with poor fitting cheek components.

Hard to believe it was the same company that released the beautiful 32nd JU-88.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, dehowie said:

Sold both my Revell 72nd B-17's when i recieved my Airfix G.

I'll build mine (eventually) and also the Academy and old Hasegawa kits I have with minimal embellishment to sort of have a display of different manufacturer's attempts at B-17Gs. I'm no Nationals level modeler so I refuse to get too bent about any kit's shortcomings.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, ChesshireCat said:

The first Airfix kit's decals looked like they'd been run thru the washing machine, but guess that's their norm as the one I opened last night looked just as bad.

That's funny, the decals in mine look perfect. I'm absolutely sure Airfix would replace defective decals if you asked about it. They've got really responsive customer support.

5 hours ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

That's funny, the decals in mine look perfect. I'm absolutely sure Airfix would replace defective decals if you asked about it. They've got really responsive customer support.

it's not a manufacturer's defect. It's just that mine are not sharp, and look like they were printed off a dot matrix printer. The surface is very dull, and even the blues and reds don't look right. The Revell kit decals were very sharp and of quality. So what does this mean? It simply makes a $39 kit  cost another $12 more! Not a big deal as many of us will buy after market anyway, but that brings in another issue. The airframe is a very late B17.

gary

The Revell kit has wings that are far too thick, the horizontal stabs are far too thin, the "clear" bits aren't, lots of fiddly little details that are wrong or poorly executed, and I found the fit to be pretty poor. But if you want to do an early G it is your best bet. The Airfix kit is much sharper detail wise but, as pointed out, it only builds the late G's. I am just finishing one up and have had no problems with the decals (which is usually a problem for me). I saw one mention of the interior bulkheads: He may be bothered by 4 and 5 (enclosing the bomb bay) being at a slight angle. This is actually correct.

01m5LSN.jpg

Edited by 100th BG

Funny as I was just looking at picking one of these kits up just the other day. After reading this I think I will go with the Airfix kit. Good info in this thread gents!

Regards,

Don

In the end, I think it comes down to the individual. You can find reviews to trash any kit. Each of us have our own standards. Some people like more accurate, some ease of build, some hate raised panel lines, some hate engraved panel lines, some hate interiors (or lack thereof), etc. Most of the kits out there will build up to look quite a bit like a B-17 :0 ! In 72nd, I prefer the new Airfix for a G and Hasegawa for an F. An early G is a challenge. While you can build one from that Academy offering, I really detest how fouled up the wings are. And I was really disappointed in the Revell kit. But these are all personal preferences. Build it and have fun, after all, it IS a hobby!