CD144008 - 1/144 C-5A Galaxy

CD144008 will be a 1/144 sheet for the C-5A Galaxy. Designed primarily with the future C-5A kit from Roden, I will also make sure that it will work on the Otaki kit. 

The previously announced C-5 sheet (CD144006) will only have C-5B/M markings.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the final draft of the 1/144 scale C-5A sheet - I will do some layout changes and numbering, and it will be finished. There is a second (not shown) sheet with blue cheatlines for the AMC scheme and some black markings; and it also shares a common stencilling sheet with the C-5B/M sheet.

All of the options on this sheet are C-5A's : it will fit the Otaki kit as well as the Roden C-5A boxing when it appears.

cd144008draft.jpg

• 1 year later...

A quick question on the "Lizard/Euro 1" schemed aircraft on this sheet. What time period are these aircraft set for?  ask due to the fact that I would like to make an aircraft from Desert Shield/Storm. I know that Virtually every C-5 was used during this Op, but would any of these two options be suitable straight from the sheet or would I need to do some "cut & shunting of decals to make an aircraft correct, by that I mean is the wing/sqn terminology correct and the such like. I do know that the tail band was not around at this time so that would be left off. Any help would be very gratefully received.

25 minutes ago, Jabba29 said:

A quick question on the "Lizard/Euro 1" schemed aircraft on this sheet. What time period are these aircraft set for?  ask due to the fact that I would like to make an aircraft from Desert Shield/Storm. I know that Virtually every C-5 was used during this Op, but would any of these two options be suitable straight from the sheet or would I need to do some "cut & shunting of decals to make an aircraft correct, by that I mean is the wing/sqn terminology correct and the such like. I do know that the tail band was not around at this time so that would be left off. Any help would be very gratefully received.

I had been following your build on BM and thought about sending you a message since it looked like you had doubts about these markings. Rest assured that I have photos of both aircraft wearing these markings exactly as depicted on the sheet. The markings for 67-0174 are based on photos taken during 1994. Not sure about the date for the other option - sorry.

Some aircraft stayed with the same unit for years, but it looks like there was quite a lot of movement in the fleet; and I can not say for certain that the aircraft were with the same units during Desert Shield / Storm. 

Edited by KursadA

Thanks for that quick answer. I will probably now build 66-8304 as I have seen these markings in a photo in a Desert Shield/Storm book. If the Ser No is not quite correct for this Sqn then so be it, I doubt if people looking at the model will actually notice this and moan that it is incorrect.

Sorry I think that I meant something different. Yes I know that the actual kit that I am decalling should be as accurate as possible. What I was trying to say that as I display a lot of my models on a Special Interest Stand on the Gulf War at many a show here in the UK, I don't think that many people who view this kit will realise if I put an aircraft with a certain Serial No did not serve with that Sqn. The main reason that I maybe asking the question that I am is that the USAF went through a lot of changes in the early to mid 90s, such as TFWs went to FWs. The main problem I have is that I am not so sure on the airlift side of things. I know that the aircraft that I would prefer to make did not have the "Empire State " markings at the time of the Gulf, but I am not sure which Wing/Sqn would have operated at that time. If it is simply a case of cutting and adding a decal here and there that would be fine, I would just need to know which ones. Any help would be gratefully received.

Jabba I don’t think my attempt at sarcasm came across in my reply. I was poking fun at the absurdity of the AMK F-14 thread. Your comment just happened to be a perfect foil for my attempt at humor.  No disrespect toward you or your choice of markings was intended. Sorry if it was taken wrong that was not my intent. 

👍

21 hours ago, habu2 said:

Jabba I don’t think my attempt at sarcasm came across in my reply. I was poking fun at the absurdity of the AMK F-14 thread. Your comment just happened to be a perfect foil for my attempt at humor.  No disrespect toward you or your choice of markings was intended. Sorry if it was taken wrong that was not my intent. 

👍

No worries, I got the joke and I have no qualms with what you have said. In fact my SWMBO'd often tells me off for being sarcastic. 

I built my Otaki C-5 many years ago. I built it in-flight for the simple reason that I did not want to paint so many wheels. I am looking at this sheet and it is so nice. The Roden kit is way down the list to buy but it is an updated version so I may pick it up and to have the proper marking is a bonus.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:51 AM, JakubJakepilot said:

Not to steal the thread, but, is it possible to find out which C-5A/B had which camo in Gulf time 1990-91 ? I found a table for B-52Gs .... Any ideas ?

I know I have a book about the Gulf War aircraft and it may have something in there.