F-4N Speed Brake Well Color. Red or White?

A lot of those Phantom speed brake photos are of F-4J or S. It is hard to find just N photos using Google. Probably caused by the search engine keying on "phantom" or something like that.

Anyway, Gloss White speed brake wells, with Red on the inner surface of the brakes themselves,,,,,,with the outside of the brakes matching the wing undersurface color.

The wells are White, for the same reason as the gear wells,,,,,,it helps with leak spotting. And the doors are Red because they are the moving part of the "pinch point."

For a good laugh, look at the front of the Phantom 180 down the page a bit,,,,,,,,,,,,without the radome,,,,that sure qualifies as a "speed brake."

There is a photo of a model, masked and painted with Red Speed Brake wells on that search results page, too. Makes a pretty good argument for not using models as references.

Edited by Rex
8 hours ago, Rex said:

....... Probably caused by the search engine keying on "phantom" or something like that.

Yeah I also noticed that. When you type something, like "A-6E cockpit" on google, you'll still be given tons of images totally not related to the one you typed, no matter how specific you put in there! And it's a burden on your part to click on every single picture to see if it is related to the one you're interested in. I'm really curious why they couldn't filter that out......

Edited by flybywire
2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is someone going to really tell me any NAVY/Marine Phantoms did not have white speed brake wells?

Certainly not me.

On Navair Phantoms, they were White, even with the TPS scheme,,,,,,same as the wheel wells.