A-10 came in a bit low while practicing highway landings during a recent exercise in Estonia.  Hit a traffic barricade and road sign. 

Didn't even have to Brrrtt the obstructions, just blew right through them and continued on.  Back in the air a short time later.   A lesser aircraft would have been taken away on a truck for repairs.   Nice picture gallery on the link below, check out the underwing damage.

http://news.postimees.ee/4207761/us-aircraft-damaged-as-it-practices-landing-on-highway

21 minutes ago, Lancer512 said:

They fixed a primary flight control surface with High-Speed Tape and aluminum foil?

Looked to me like they just left it with the skin peeled away.   Hard to tell looking at the pics on my phone.   Either way, can't accuse the MD ANG of wasting taxpayers money.

I'm curious what part of the plane hit those barriers in the middle of the highway.  One was knocked a hundred yards down the road.   Tough old jet!   

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I assume the jet got a road sign painted below the canopy as a kill marking.......

Hope so! 

Actually since this is a MD ANG bird, they just might; I have decals for one of their Hogs with a coyote kill marking from an unfortunate runway incident....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Actually since thats my old unit I and they got home yesterday I will have to see what happened. What surprised me was the tail # that jet had been loaned out to the ANG/AFRC test center for years. I wonder if its back permanently.  As far as the kill marking it all depended if they had access to a Gerber machine. But now that there home...

12 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Hope so! 

Actually since this is a MD ANG bird, they just might; I have decals for one of their Hogs with a coyote kill marking from an unfortunate runway incident....

Oh, now those markings would make me want to build one of these! Which markings are they?

Looks like I found it: Afterburner Decals AD 48-052 - Free State Hogs 104th Fighter Squadron A-10A/C 1989-2009

Edited by dnl42

OK, I demand charges be filed against the pilot for murder of an innocent road sign. That poor sign was just standing there minding it's own business when Wham! It got hit in the head. Also did the pilot get a speeding ticket? He had to be doing a little over the speed limit! lol I hope they give the pilot the kill

5 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

OK, I demand charges be filed against the pilot for murder of an innocent road sign. That poor sign was just standing there minding it's own business when Wham! It got hit in the head. Also did the pilot get a speeding ticket? He had to be doing a little over the speed limit! lol I hope they give the pilot the kill

Since the Hog is the only jet susceptible to bird strikes from the rear it is highly possible the sign hit the jet....

14 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, now those markings would make me want to build one of these! Which markings are they?

Looks like I found it: Afterburner Decals AD 48-052 - Free State Hogs 104th Fighter Squadron A-10A/C 1989-2009

Actually the ones I have are 1/72 by Wolfpak. No plans for them myself; despite their fantastic quality; anyone interested? 

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy