Does every model have a "make or break" moment?

Every kit that I build has a Murphy Moment, it varies sometimes I have to re-engineer something because of aftermarket resin or  PE or repaint a section after a successful finish.   I have yet to build something that has not caused me some rework.  It varies from kit to kit, for me modeling winds down at 2100 hrs, I find myself making more mistakes when my eyes are tired.  I am sharp as a razor first thing in the AM, but only get that chance on weekends & holidays.

It has never entered my mind to give up on model due to a seam problem, or on any other problem.  I make an effort to smooth out the worst of the seams, but in 1/72, even the worst aren't visible from the usual viewing distance in my man cave—either "flying" or on a shelf, almost always in dim light.  The worst of them get put in a dark corner, so high they are almost forgotten.  I no doubt have finished and proudly displayed models that many modelers would have trashed.  IMHO a lot of "perfect" models look too much like toys.  I like for mine to look like they've had a lot of hard use, and are ready for major maintenance.  

I've built about 40 (Vietnam-era) aircraft in 1/72, mostly older kits, and have yet to reach a "break" point.  Just yesterday, I was masking the wing on an E-2A Hawkeye, and the tail broke off.  I didn't even break stride.  I just finished masking the wing, and then glued the tail on again, better the second time.

I've had two models that I didn't finish, but I didn't even start them.  One from eBay had two left-side fuselage halves.  Another from eBay had a missing canopy.  Both boxes had been opened.  One was a "cheapie" so I kept it for parts.  I returned the other, the seller refunded my money, and I bought a replacement from another eBay seller.

I won't say I'll never have a "break" moment, but it would have to be something major that I screwed up so bad it couldn't be fixed.  If I dropped on on a hard floor and then stepped on it, that might do it.  On the other hand, putting it back together would be a real challenge!

Really two things here. Some of my projects do have a "breaking point" that's a particular challenge and that I must do to some level of satisfaction in order for me to then go on and finish the build.  As I get older, I enjoy that challenge but then sometimes neglect the model after I've successfully overcome the challenge!  An example is a 1/144 USS Gato that i just painted (replacing a previous, poorly done finish).  I peel the tape, grin at how the plastic toy now really starts to look like a Pacific War predator, and then forget about it for the next few weeks rather than spending the time to add the final details and finish a piece of scrap lumber as a base.  

A bigger problem is that I quickly grow bored of a project when it bogs down in drudgery.  Airframes get assembled, but then I lose interest filling and sanding seams or molding sinks.  Right now I have a 1/35 project held back from completion because I need to finish figures for it. That's typical.  Personal productivity experts would cite TED talks to declare I lack "grit," a vital personality trait required to succeed by seeing things through to the end.  Whatever.  Modeling is my hobby, and the reason I get bored with projects is because my real job, together with work around the house seldom allows me lots of time in the week to build models.  So a 20-hour project gets scattered over months.  If I've only got a few hours a week, spending it on tasks that don't obviously show a lot of progress is dull.  

Honestly, on every kit, it is as soon as construction is done and painting needs to start. I will go crazy with scratch-building and corrections, etc without it really bothering me when I have to redo or tweak. I love forming something from nothing, but as soon as I start to think about painting, I begin to lose interest. I expect to screw something up or just end up with a paint job which doesn't match the workmanship of the construction. 

Dave

17 minutes ago, parche said:

Honestly, on every kit, it is as soon as construction is done and painting needs to start. I will go crazy with scratch-building and corrections, etc without it really bothering me when I have to redo or tweak. I love forming something from nothing, but as soon as I start to think about painting, I begin to lose interest. I expect to screw something up or just end up with a paint job which doesn't match the workmanship of the construction. 

Dave

Interestingly enough, I am just the opposite.  I tend to get "good enough-itis" and rush things because I don't particularly enjoy construction, seam filling, correcting, scribing and re-scribing, and scratch building.  I am just not particularly adept at any of those things, and downright terrible at scribing period.  But once I get to the painting stage, I really start to have fun.  Preshading techniques, freehand camo, masking for camo, weathering, metalwork, love all that!  I usually use painting and weathering to try to hide my construction flaws.  LOL

Weathering. I've killed several perfectly fine builds trying to do some weathering. I'm of the less is more school and so o find things get overdone quickly. And then it's hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube. 

The current trend is for aircraft that look like they've been flown through soil, but that isn't my style.

I have a Honeymoon relationship with each kit, after about 12hrs fun on a kit, the Honeymoon is over! When the sparks don't fly anymore it becomes work not fun! So it may go on the shelf until it's time for the second Honeymoon...or third...lol!

On 8/24/2017 at 1:36 PM, Raptor01 said:

...or me modeling winds down at 2100 hrs, I find myself making more mistakes when my eyes are tired.  I am sharp as a razor first thing in the AM, but only get that chance on weekends & holidays.

This describes my modeling time exactly. I can sometimes get some work in between end of work and dinner, but that's rare... Now, I'm catching up after returning from the eclipse.

Not sure what "make or break" moment means. If it's being put on the back burner, I've got 3 their now. I have 2 in active work, with 1 quite dominant (1/144 CL-415) and the other (1/144 C-47 on floats) getting work time when I can't work on #1. I'll start on a 1/48 F-4 in a week or so, when I get the CL-415 into the paint shop. If it's "nope, this one aint gonna make it", I've had about 3 over the years, including one lost to a thorough soaking in Tamiya Thin :bandhead2:  Another was early one, before I figured out you can re-manufacture a fair amount of parts if need be.

Edited by dnl42

"I have a Honeymoon relationship with each kit, after about 12hrs fun on a kit, the Honeymoon is over! When the sparks don't fly anymore it becomes work not fun! So it may go on the shelf until it's time for the second Honeymoon...or third...lol! "

I think this probably happens to everyone, at least to some extent.  Having been married four times, I can testify that the excitement of newness wears off quickly.  With modeling, I've found that all I have to do to restore interest is to get involved.  I do this by reading about the history of the aircraft and its varied uses, and the stories of the people who built it, flew it and kept it flying.  Some airplanes are pretty mundane, but their histories are fascinating.  My modeling has been entirely Vietnam-era aircraft, and I have yet to become bored with any of them, let alone consider putting them aside or in the trash.  I usually spend  more time in research on my computer and in publications than on the models.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:36 PM, Fishwelding said:

Personal productivity experts would cite TED talks to declare I lack "grit," a vital personality trait required to succeed by seeing things through to the end. 

I'm the opposite - I'll stick with something even if its killing me (I need to watch that Ted video above!).  Which is why I've been crippled for 5yrs with chronic knee pain from too much hard triathlon.  But I stuck with finding a cure and found the solution which none of the overpaid expert medicos could. However, thankfully my previous obsession is over, so I might be a bit smarter now.

My make or break (and it is always break) comes from too much handling of the model, which screws up a nice finish, or knocks off scratch details I've slaved over - because something does not fit properly.  Just been through this with the nose frame/wheel assembly on my Fouga.  And usually this is caused by some scratched detail I've added which throws off the alignment ever so slightly somewhere.  In this case an added wire which threw off the fit of the metal frame, and with all the handling the Aclclad and other painted details wore away, so some repainting will be needed.  and it never looks quite as good as the original :rolleyes:

Also, with all my scratching I find I get visible bumps of Superglue in places I don't want them, but they are too hard to then remove without knocking off the fragile added detail.

Edited by Thommo
6 hours ago, Thommo said:

I'm the opposite - I'll stick with something even if its killing me (I need to watch that Ted video above!).  Which is why I've been crippled for 5yrs with chronic knee pain from too much hard triathlon.  But I stuck with finding a cure and found the solution which none of the overpaid expert medicos could. However, thankfully my previous obsession is over, so I might be a bit smarter now.

My make or break (and it is always break) comes from too much handling of the model, which screws up a nice finish, or knocks off scratch details I've slaved over - because something does not fit properly.  Just been through this with the nose frame/wheel assembly on my Fouga.  And usually this is caused by some scratched detail I've added which throws off the alignment ever so slightly somewhere.  In this case an added wire which threw off the fit of the metal frame, and with all the handling the Aclclad and other painted details wore away, so some repainting will be needed.  and it never looks quite as good as the original :rolleyes:

Also, with all my scratching I find I get visible bumps of Superglue in places I don't want them, but they are too hard to then remove without knocking off the fragile added detail.

I, too, have stopped doing things that cause me pain, Thommo.  I try to avoid fingerprints, minor scratches, overspray, etc., but often I just stop sweating the small stuff.  I'm as careful as I can be without it ceasing to be fun.  I tell myself that I'm building models that are (were) in a shooting war.  Lots of the aircaft had overspray, dents, patches, corrosion, grease stains and smoky panels.  A few scratches and fingerprints under my finish flat coat make scarcely any difference, and they might even add some "well-used" look that I could never achieve on purpose.

I'm 79, and not as steady as I used to be, so trying to do things perfectly would drive me right over the edge.  I'll settle for less than perfect, and not beat myself up over it, let along stop a project or trash a model.   

It happens to me often. My current solution is to put the thing away and come back to it later. Sometimes disasters later are just things to be fixed that don't seem near as catastrophic. My Achilles heel is using super glue that sticks to everything in a nanosecond - except the thing I'm trying to attach. ESPECIALLY GEAR DOORS !!! with their poor locating points.

Edited by fool on the hill