Well it's far from being over but at least the rain has stopped. Areas are still under water and flooding. I worked 60hrs Wednesday-Friday on the ambulance. It's heart breaking to see all the devastation.

On an aircraft related note, I've seen tons of military aircraft everywhere. With the exception of attack helos, every other helicopter in the US military inventory were here making rescues. I've even seen a P-8 Poseidon flying over the area. A lot of people seem to be a little leery of the HH-60G Pave Hawks flying around.

19 minutes ago, Wolfgun33 said:

19 minutes ago, Wolfgun33 said:

I have no idea other than a few of them have been flying with the door guns still in place. Guess cause most people haven't seen a helo like that before.

I know some of the guys in that unit, people can rest easy knowing they've got some of the best. 

7 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

I know some of the guys in that unit, people can rest easy knowing they've got some of the best. 

Absolutely!! I was telling people that they are some of the best in the world at rescues. Had to explain what that they're the ones that go behind enemy lines to rescue downed pilots.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a word about charities, I have not confirmed any of this BUT the word around the SE Tex SW LA. area is that Red Cross is making things much harder to actually help people who need it. Several local restaurants and other businesses and churches have offered to bring supplies to Red Cross evac. centers only to be turned away. To the point of being told even if the people inside come out to get food, those people will not be allowed back in. Again, I haven't witnessed this personally, only know a lot of people who talk about it. My point is research who you're giving to. So far down here, the best help has been from each other and those individuals who have come down themselves.. And to those I say God bless you! It IS appreciated.

Bill

3 hours ago, niart17 said:

Just a word about charities, I have not confirmed any of this BUT the word around the SE Tex SW LA. area is that Red Cross is making things much harder to actually help people who need it. Several local restaurants and other businesses and churches have offered to bring supplies to Red Cross evac. centers only to be turned away. To the point of being told even if the people inside come out to get food, those people will not be allowed back in. Again, I haven't witnessed this personally, only know a lot of people who talk about it. My point is research who you're giving to. So far down here, the best help has been from each other and those individuals who have come down themselves.. And to those I say God bless you! It IS appreciated.

Bill

Never heard of something like this before. Got any source or is it just unsubstantiated, rumor mill stuff?  

You would think something that egregious would make it into the news.   Especially if that many people in those two states are talking about it. 

A woman flew in 400 burgers to feed people in a shelter west of Houston. Red Cross husband and wife team would not allow them to be distributed saying the people already ate a sandwich then proceeded to place the burgers in coolers to serve later.  Per folks at that shelter, the Red Cross sandwich was their only food in 24 hours and not everyone there got one.  Red Cross was being very parsimonious and persnickety.  This made the local news.

More stories if you search.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Quite frankly, stuff like this is why I focus on local charities with good records of serving their communities. One of my observations is organizations with national ad presence looking for donations are probably spending too much on overhead...

Charity Navigator can help you make informed decisions...

The only story I can confirm is that for the short time my in-laws were at one of these centers, they were given a cold open faced "hamburger" and a cup of water for that day. Needless to say we got them out really quick. Granted, this was early in the stages of evacuations, so it could be chalked up to chaos not getting organized yet. BUT it kind of fits into the stories of how things were much later on as well.

Bill