Kitty Hawk 1/32 T-6G Force Arienne Katangeise

Kitty Hawk T-6G Texan with Zotz Decals 

Aircraft is a Mercenary operated machine from Kamina in the breakaway Katangan province of the Congo during the Congo Crisis of 1960-62. These aircraft attacked government troops and UN forces trying to prevent mineral rich Katanga from declaring independence from the recently independent Republic of Congo. The Katangan's led by Moise Tshombe had western support as they had mining interests in the region including some of the worlds best uranium mines. The T-6's were drawn from French stocks and were largely flown by Belgian, French and South African pilots. 

The wing roundels are conjecture as I could not find photos proving they were carried but Zotz provided them and I thought they would add some color. Truth be told I could find very little photos of Katangan T-6's for reference. 

This kit was OK but not great. The T-6 is not a complex airframe but this kit made for a fiddly build and the plethora of ejector pin marks were frustrating as they were literally everywhere. Overall I am happy with the result and the Zotz decals performed very nicely. I may build another of these at some point and use one of the other schemes.

HkD7mEw.jpg

6P9UOpe.jpg

baZ8v3H.jpg

ybQLNKr.jpg

Zach

A very interesting choice of subject - I like it! You've done a great job. Armed to the teeth, a small short-lived air force, cool camo, it ticks all the boxes!

One question: why is the rear stick installed backwards?

Great subject choice! Love the Katangan /Congo era. Biafra as well!  I've a couple of T6's in the stash to build in various African schemes. You've done an excellent job with yours. Don't hesitate to use your Zotz decals on another interesting subject such as you've done here.

Cheers Paul

• 2 weeks later...